what about Elo ratings?

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Kai

Elo isn't a perfect system but millions of people around the world (mostly kids) obsess about their Elo ratings every day in competitive online video games.

https://dotesports.com/general/news/elo ... ined-20565
nivi7

guys this is the football trading section
no horse racing talk please
Kai

nivi7 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 pm
Since when do you care about forum rules, your last thread was straight up deleted. Maybe you would learn more if you stopped with this simpleton charade, you're just fishing for ideas and quizzing people about Poisson and ELO so that you can sell more subscription based services. You already sell enough of them.
spreadbetting

Kai wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:33 pm
nivi7 wrote:
Since when do you care about forum rules, your last thread was straight up deleted. Maybe you would learn more if you stopped with this simpleton charade, you're just fishing for ideas and quizzing people about Poisson and ELO so that you can sell more subscription based services. You already sell enough of them.
Stop feeding him then. It's quite blatant what he's doing no need to encourage him.
nivi7

Kai wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:33 pm
nivi7 wrote:
Since when do you care about forum rules, your last thread was straight up deleted.
i dont.
it is just that i do not trade on horce racing
George Bets

In the past I have experimented with predicting football matches solely based on Elo-ratings. Must say that these preditions were more accurate than expected, almost as accurate as the bookmakers.

However, in my opinion you should add some more data to beat the bookmakers (e.g. expected goals). Especially in the most recent years it has become more difficult to beat the bookmaker/market predictions.
nivi7

George Bets wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:50 am
In the past I have experimented with predicting football matches solely based on Elo-ratings. Must say that these preditions were more accurate than expected, almost as accurate as the bookmakers.
how did you do that?
re there available calculators on line with elo ratings?
George Bets

nivi7 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50 pm
George Bets wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:50 am
how did you do that?
re there available calculators on line with elo ratings?
I did not calculate the Elo-scores myself, but used this website instead: http://clubelo.com/. On this website you can find historical Elo-scores for all clubs in the European top level leagues.

The website also predicts match outcomes, and includes an API which you can use to quickly download many historical Elo ratings. For the latter you need some programming experience though.

Return to “Football trading”