What can we learn from Louis van Gaal?

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Iron

So he's willing to publicly criticise the chief executive and Wayne Rooney, but you think that maybe he's heaping praise on Van Gaal because he has a couple of months of his contract left to serve?

That doesn't quite ring true. :)

Jeff
fortfield

Ferru123 wrote:So he's willing to publicly criticise the chief executive and Wayne Rooney, but you think that maybe he's heaping praise on Van Gaal because he has a couple of months of his contract left to serve?

That doesn't quite ring true. :)

Jeff
He was critical of Woodward and Rooney 6 weeks ago, he is heaping praise on van Gaal now. 6 weeks ago Scholes genuinely may have thought he had no future at Man Utd, now the situation may be different. Given he is on tour i would say he is more likely than not to figure in Van Gaals plans next year. Either way an opinion about a manager from a current member of his backroom staff has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Iron

We could go back and forth all day psychoanalysing Scholes's comments and his possible motivations, but I think we should agree to disagree, or this will become like one of those conversations on Twitter where people spend all day Googling info to support their case but convince no-one they are right. :) I speak from experience! :lol:

Anyway, whether he meant what he said is kind of irrelevant to whether you agree or disagree with the views he put forward. :)

Jeff
superfrank

in response to the original question, it would seem not very much :D
Euler

With the amount of debt they are carrying, this is turning into a real problem now.
superfrank

60 mill and a King's ransom in wages for Di Maria smells of a panic buy. surely they need a few quality/experienced defenders and to play a system the players are comfortable with.
Iron

All joking aside, United's performances this season have been hard to explain.

They have one of the best managers in the business - someone who's an expert tactician and, like Fergie, expects his players to give 100% and takes no nonsense. But despite practicing applying said manager's approach for the past two months, they are still far from playing to potential.

I don't buy the lack of quality argument - these guys simply aren't playing like they did under Fergie.

Maybe some of the players got away with playing poorly under Moyes, and figure they can do likewise this season. If so, VG needs to get rid of the lazy players.

BTW, at one point you could have backed a 3-0 victory at 400. It's not like VG played a bunch of kids. Some of the squad were decent players who could have played much better.

Jeff
superfrank wrote:in response to the original question, it would seem not very much :D
Last edited by Iron on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron

It's a hell of a gamble. He might be the greatest player to wear a United shirt since Ronaldo left, but he might prove to be the next Veron or Fellaini.

I'd much rather get four eager young £15 million defenders and midfielders who have bags of potential and are prepared to go all out in every game. If one of them turns out to be a flop, you haven't put all of your eggs in one basket...
superfrank wrote:60 mill and a King's ransom in wages for Di Maria smells of a panic buy. surely they need a few quality/experienced defenders and to play a system the players are comfortable with.
Iron

giulio2010

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:44 am
giulio2010 wrote:I can't wait to see the next airplane flying over old trafford saying Van Gaal NOT a Genius!!! :lol: :lol:
They could sign Mourinho last season, they choose Moyes.
They could sign A. Conte this season, they choose LVG.
They had a massive budget to build up a strong defence, they choose to spend 60M for Di Maria and still pushing for A. Vidal for an other 50M. Not to mention the pay raise to Rooney and other foolish mistakes they did from Pogba on. I think Man U losing total control of the situation and that started 1 year before fergusson resigned. Perhaps the problem lies within the top men of the club Not the players.
What LVG and the club can do from now on? NOT TO PANIC I d say. Good luck.
Iron

giulio2010 wrote: They could sign Mourinho last season, they choose Moyes.
They could sign A. Conte this season, they choose LVG.
I agree that Mourinho would have been a much better choice than Moyes (who I suspect was chosen because Fergie saw him as a mini me).

Disagree re. LVG though. LVG is a top coach who has a track record of getting teams to perform better than expectations. His weakness is that he sometimes falls out with players, but so did Fergie, and he didn't do too badly...

Jeff
giulio2010

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:04 am
giulio2010 wrote:Every supporter have the right to show some enthusiasm about new buying and new coach, but just a little note, Louis van Gaal played for penaltys all 3 games after the group stage and only by an extreme luck he managed to avoid the same fate against Mexico..
Good luck with him.. ;)
LVG is proving me right day by day! :o
Iron

Rewind to 2007.

Man United won none of their first three league games. The naysayers were in full force.

Wind forward to the end of the season.

United had won the Premiership and the Champions League.

Nuff said... ;)

Jeff
Euler

Or wind back a year, Naysayers were out in force and..... oh hold on.
Iron

Euler wrote:Or wind back a year, Naysayers were out in force and..... oh hold on.
You mean the 2006-7 season?

'United enjoyed a much more successful season than the previous three seasons, winning the Premier League by a six-point margin over Chelsea. They also reached the final of the FA Cup and the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League, losing to Chelsea and Milan respectively.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80 ... .C._season

Jeff

Return to “Football trading”