What can we learn from Louis van Gaal?

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Iron

giulio2010 wrote: They could sign Mourinho last season, they choose Moyes.
They could sign A. Conte this season, they choose LVG.
I agree that Mourinho would have been a much better choice than Moyes (who I suspect was chosen because Fergie saw him as a mini me).

Disagree re. LVG though. LVG is a top coach who has a track record of getting teams to perform better than expectations. His weakness is that he sometimes falls out with players, but so did Fergie, and he didn't do too badly...

Jeff
giulio2010

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:04 am
giulio2010 wrote:Every supporter have the right to show some enthusiasm about new buying and new coach, but just a little note, Louis van Gaal played for penaltys all 3 games after the group stage and only by an extreme luck he managed to avoid the same fate against Mexico..
Good luck with him.. ;)
LVG is proving me right day by day! :o
Iron

Rewind to 2007.

Man United won none of their first three league games. The naysayers were in full force.

Wind forward to the end of the season.

United had won the Premiership and the Champions League.

Nuff said... ;)

Jeff
Euler

Or wind back a year, Naysayers were out in force and..... oh hold on.
Iron

Euler wrote:Or wind back a year, Naysayers were out in force and..... oh hold on.
You mean the 2006-7 season?

'United enjoyed a much more successful season than the previous three seasons, winning the Premier League by a six-point margin over Chelsea. They also reached the final of the FA Cup and the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League, losing to Chelsea and Milan respectively.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80 ... .C._season

Jeff
Euler

Nottingham Forest won the European cup two seasons in a row, great couple of seasons. Looking forward to a repeat performance this year.
Euler

Life is best understood backwards, but you have to live it forwards.
flags

Luis struggling in the league so far. Surely he hasn't been helped by the constant injuries, but that's not an excuse for a club like United. I think he is still coming to terms with the league. I thought he had a bit of arrogant attitude in summer. Thought he'll take the league by storm. Now he has asked for 3 years to rebuild :D
He's biggest mistake is not strengthening the defense.
Euler

Another convincing victory tonight.
Euler

Worst interview by a manager that I can remember: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32369922
BabyArber

Shocking... but quite typical of him, see this sketch from a Dutch comedy show...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVUaZlyk1Y

He's a winner who has just lost. Of course he's frustrated. Still, I would expect a true professional to handle it better. He's most certainly not hired for his interview skills...

I wish the interviewer had shown a bit more backbone... it could have got really interesting. As it's coming to a close at 1:52 he looks up at someone - I imagine his PR consultant, I imagine them making cut gestures to get him out of there. Instead of pressing him, the interviewer meekly thanks him, what a pussy...
Wainwright

He is a bit bipolar when it comes to interviews - very different when things go well;

https://vine.co/v/ODa1gV0LVFa
annuity

Awful interview. And I'm a United fan. Still not as bad as the dossier incident though. Never get over that.
tweebie1999

I like LVG's attitude in interviews. His interviews are more fun to watch than most. It's odvious what he thinks of the press and their knowledge of the game. If you ask stupid questions of a master tactician you are bound to get a stupid answer! Fergie's interviews were more or less the same a lot of the time.
annuity

tweebie1999 wrote:I like LVG's attitude in interviews. His interviews are more fun to watch than most. It's odvious what he thinks of the press and their knowledge of the game. If you ask stupid questions of a master tactician you are bound to get a stupid answer! Fergie's interviews were more or less the same a lot of the time.
But the questions from the interviewer were perfectly valid and not combative at all but Louis incorrectly perceived them as such. I'd put it down to lost in translation as much as anything else, but still, awful interview.

Return to “Football trading”