Learning to trade tennis

welshboy06

3virgul14 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm
Well , I may not be the authority . Even though the question is not directed to me, I will drop my 5 cents too on the matter.

One of the most important aspects is to be able to reach some information about how motivated the players are to go through in a tournament.. Is it a target match ? How many points to defend? Do they carry an injury or feel uncomfortable with personal problems?

If you are not possessing such information, I`m afraid its really depending on your luck and variance mostly..
Thanks for this. I'll definitely look in to the above.

Thanks again
RFSWriter

Newbie here and I got the trial practice mode while watching the last domestic Battle of the Brits to look at how the odds moved, but of course hadn't yet sat down to look at how you would make a market, how ladders v one click works, hedging etc.

Just ploughing through the last of the Tennis Trading videos now ahead of the season, and think when my free trial runs out, will take advantage of the discount offer and start there.

Would appreciate the views of more seasoned folks... First three tournies next year are ATP Delray, Antalya and WTA Abu Dhabi with semi-decent fields. Also in the same timeframe is AO Qualies in Dubai & Doha.

When I was watching at the end of the season with BA Pro up I was purely looking at the odds movement in sets, and hadn't really understood what Tennis Trader added to that, so I feel a little better armed, but not quite dangerous.

Back in my matched betting days I often used the tennis bets to rack up Bet Club free bets so not completely alien to how using an exchange works, so ... options are:
Spend the first couple of days still in Practice Mode and this time follow some of the tutorial strategies for short priced players within a set.
When it comes to finally getting ones feet wet - I noticed when I was working through Praccy mode with the gee-gees on a £2 stake greening up across the field was unable to take place because of some Betfair rule of rounding up (which sounds fair if hedging was resulting in pennies of profits).
Is it feasible to start with the default £2 stake or look to start at something like £5 mins.

I have collated all my MB bankroll back out of the gubbing bookies and all the exchanges so have a decent amount to start seeding back into Betfair as I get started, and (rightly or wrongly) I am viewing this as a marathon and not a sprint and so perfectly happy with pennies of profits for now while I learn and get more comfortable.

Be gentle - what glaring issues are there with this plan for a total newbie to trading but to a former matched better who made a decent amount on matching for football, tennis and placings for the horseys.
Also planning to do a little more with the practice mode over races as well once I have ploughed through the tutorials, but as tennis is more my sport it made sense to try and start here.

Thanks in advance.
Kai

Very long road ahead, I suggest you open a new thread if looking for specific advice, and/or search for bigger newbie threads if looking for general advice.

Minimal stakes are fine for learning the price movements, sooner you get out of practice mode the better, any decent sized banks are all useless at this point since you can't generate any profit with them but can very easily lose them, I'd go as far as to say you probably already lost it but just don't know it yet.

Tennis is a unique market and many viable ways to trade it but it's a bit of a weird market overall and seen quite a few fulltimers quitting tennis in recent years, I liked trading it for a while but didn't like some of the market participants and the annoying timeframes. I think these topics are barely touched on the forum but you can try searching. Knowing a sport may turn out to be a disadvantage too if you form strong rigid naive opinions so watch out for that one, it was one of the first hurdles for me. Good luck.
RFSWriter

Kai wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 pm
Very long road ahead, I suggest you open a new thread if looking for specific advice, and/or search for bigger newbie threads if looking for general advice.

Minimal stakes are fine for learning the price movements, sooner you get out of practice mode the better, any decent sized banks are all useless at this point since you can't generate any profit with them but can very easily lose them, I'd go as far as to say you probably already lost it but just don't know it yet.

Tennis is a unique market and many viable ways to trade it but it's a bit of a weird market overall and seen quite a few fulltimers quitting tennis in recent years, I liked trading it for a while but didn't like some of the market participants and the annoying timeframes. I think these topics are barely touched on the forum but you can try searching. Knowing a sport may turn out to be a disadvantage too if you form strong rigid naive opinions so watch out for that one, it was one of the first hurdles for me. Good luck.
Thanks! For a time I wrote previews for a betting site so any emotional opinions about players went out the window pretty quickly in the name of purely analysing where weaknesses might be in their games and allowing readers to figure out where they wanted to put their money. It is gloriously unpredictable and we often joke we are THE WORST people to ask to predict, but when you have churned out a gazillion previews, match reports etc... it becomes pretty routine after a while!

Once I get the licence key - will put a more newbie focussed post in the newbie forum and yeah... looking forward to having a go.
Dallas

RFSWriter wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:03 pm
Newbie here and I got the trial practice mode while watching the last domestic Battle of the Brits to look at how the odds moved, but of course hadn't yet sat down to look at how you would make a market, how ladders v one click works, hedging etc.

Just ploughing through the last of the Tennis Trading videos now ahead of the season, and think when my free trial runs out, will take advantage of the discount offer and start there.

Would appreciate the views of more seasoned folks... First three tournies next year are ATP Delray, Antalya and WTA Abu Dhabi with semi-decent fields. Also in the same timeframe is AO Qualies in Dubai & Doha.

When I was watching at the end of the season with BA Pro up I was purely looking at the odds movement in sets, and hadn't really understood what Tennis Trader added to that, so I feel a little better armed, but not quite dangerous.

Back in my matched betting days I often used the tennis bets to rack up Bet Club free bets so not completely alien to how using an exchange works, so ... options are:
Spend the first couple of days still in Practice Mode and this time follow some of the tutorial strategies for short priced players within a set.
When it comes to finally getting ones feet wet - I noticed when I was working through Praccy mode with the gee-gees on a £2 stake greening up across the field was unable to take place because of some Betfair rule of rounding up (which sounds fair if hedging was resulting in pennies of profits).
Is it feasible to start with the default £2 stake or look to start at something like £5 mins.

I have collated all my MB bankroll back out of the gubbing bookies and all the exchanges so have a decent amount to start seeding back into Betfair as I get started, and (rightly or wrongly) I am viewing this as a marathon and not a sprint and so perfectly happy with pennies of profits for now while I learn and get more comfortable.

Be gentle - what glaring issues are there with this plan for a total newbie to trading but to a former matched better who made a decent amount on matching for football, tennis and placings for the horseys.
Also planning to do a little more with the practice mode over races as well once I have ploughed through the tutorials, but as tennis is more my sport it made sense to try and start here.

Thanks in advance.
I'm looking forward to this years tournament after the near washout of last years

When the Opens get underway a dedicated thread is always opened so people can discuss whats happening etc, if you do some searches like Wimbledon 2019 or French Open 2020 you'll be able to catch up on some of the chat from previous years - I often re read the previous years just before the current one gets under way.

Something to note about the Aussie open though is Betfair don't provide a live score feed (its the only WTA/ATP and grand slam) where they don't offer it but you can still update Tennis Trader manually with each point and it will still display the predicted prices.
iambic_pentameter

RFSWriter wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:03 pm

Thanks in advance.
I'd use a small bank to begin with, say, £100 maximum.

Whilst this might sound prohibitive, at this stage in your career you are looking for fine tune the process. The danger with having a bigger bank when starting out, is that when the red mist descends after a losing trade or two (which it will) then you run the risk of chasing the losses and losing a lot of money.

Stick to learning about one sport as well. I know from experience that if you try a bit of tennis, then some football, a spot of racing, it really isn't helpful.

Do watch the psychology videos on the Bet Angel Academy or YouTube channel as well.

Best of luck,

Iambic
RFSWriter

Thanks for the response. Looking forward to getting started slowly. In for the long haul and agree it makes sense to stay with the sport I know the most about.

Return to “Tennis Trading”