Can you Facetime a tennis match?

pdenoeud

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:07 am
Have you thought of trying manual tennis trading, to small stakes?

A bit of experience at trading matches manually may give you a few ideas for automation or the basis to form strategies.
I did not try manual trading yet, I did spend long time watching the evolution of odds depending on the evolution of scroes (game point, break point, set point, tie breaks,...).
My guess is that elaborating a profitable strategy usually goes through the following steps:
- watch the behaviour of the markets, trying to find profitable strategies
- test manually each strategy live with small stakes
- once confirmed, increase the stakes
- if possible, automate the strategy

You can also back test manually strategies with a time machine using BF historical data. I did not test it yet.

The issue is that testing live strategies with small stakes , or better backtesting manually with time machine, takes a long time, and you often test a lot of unsucessfull strategies before finding a profitable one.

With a back testing tool (which needs to be developped), it would be:
- watch the behaviour of the markets, trying to find profitable strategies
- implement the algorythm for each strategy
- back test each strategy algorythm
- run the profitable algorythm live, with small stakes first then bigger stakes

A back testing tool would definitively help a lot. I am an IT engineer, I could write one but it will take me very long. I am not sure I want to take that path, when the final incomes are not certain, of course :)
Another issue about automation is to get the tennis (or other sport) score live, with a reasonable delay...
pdenoeud

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:56 am

It's also unlikely that such a niche product with sufficient complexity would be commercially viable. Even the best selling front end (BA) barely covers dev and support cos apparently and that's quite believable.
Indeed, the incomes to expect would be the hypothetical incomes generated by the strategies elaborated thanks to the back testing tool. It is a lot of work... maybe for nothing :?
Dallas

pdenoeud wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 am

Another issue about automation is to get the tennis (or other sport) score live, with a reasonable delay...
The live scores via BF are almost instant, all my tennis automated files are triggered by scores,

There are a few examples files here if you wanted to test the automation capabilities
viewforum.php?f=51

Or id your manually trading the Tennis Trader tool in Bet Anel Pro is invaluable
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13251
boardrep

I would urge anyone new to Tennis trader to be careful with automation linked to the live scores if their automation relies upon the correct server being identified as shown today in the Puig Woz match

[/quote]

The live scores via BF are almost instant, all my tennis automated files are triggered by scores,

There are a few examples files here if you wanted to test the automation capabilities
viewforum.php?f=51

Or id your manually trading the Tennis Trader tool in Bet Anel Pro is invaluable
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13251
[/quote]
pdenoeud

boardrep wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:30 pm
I would urge anyone new to Tennis trader to be careful with automation linked to the live scores if their automation relies upon the correct server being identified as shown today in the Puig Woz match .
Yes I saw that, the predicted odds are far from real odds. I did not understand your post @boardrep, is it due to a wrong server being used?
Is that kind of odds big mismatch frequent?
boardrep

yes in this case the players were in the wrong order and if your automation relied upon the need for the server to be identified as per the condition you may have received unexpected results.
SeaHorseRacing

Guys get to a racecourse. Standing on the winning line whilst on your phone. When I mean on your phone I mean talking down the phone.

You have about 2/3 seconds to get your bet on before suspended. But not sure about anyone else. Those tight photo finishes are very easy to decide when your 10 feet away. You can see nose winners clearly.

All you need is someone you trust at a desk who is competant and explain whose winning over the phone ;)

No 4g or WiFi needed just a signal. No concerns as far as o know it’s not illegal to be talking on a phone at a racecourse.

Stay away from courses like Ludlow they are not the best viewing racecourses.

Anyone fancy’s going on a venture I’d love to get away from my desk a few days a week.

Ideally you want to find racecourses that don’t have any trading rooms as there be few people there doing it
Derek27

I heard of a professional gambler doing that in the 70's, but surely in this day and age, you can make more money sitting at your desk - especially if there are no photo finishes!
Dallas

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:43 pm
I heard of a professional gambler doing that in the 70's, but surely in this day and age, you can make more money sitting at your desk - especially if there are no photo finishes!
How did he place bets with no mobile phone to communicate when the horses where about to / had crossed the line and where was there partner placing the bets?
Derek27

Presumably placing the bet himself with the on-course bookies. In those days photo finishes would typically be 1/10, evens (141% overround). It would have been a case of being absolutely certain that the 1/10 has won it.
spreadbetting

He's thinking of Alex Bird, Dallas, he used to make fortunes betting on the photo finishes on course.
spreadbetting

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:43 pm
The on course guys have been coining it in for years, even the SIS guys used to be up to all sorts in the early days of the exchange. That 2-3 difference between live and RUK pictures is a massive advantage, the advantage when it comes to ATR is ridiculous these days probably around 7 seconds on some days.
Dallas

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:56 pm
Presumably placing the bet himself with the on-course bookies. In those days photo finishes would typically be 1/10, evens (141% overround). It would have been a case of being absolutely certain that the 1/10 has won it.
Gotcha
Dallas

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:20 pm
He's thinking of Alex Bird, Dallas, he used to make fortunes betting on the photo finishes on course.
It's a wonder the bookies took his bets for so long so he must have had some team of runners around him
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:20 pm
Didn't realise it was him, but I actually met Alex Bird's nephew at a birthday do ten years ago. Apparently, he was a very generous man. How he managed to be so successful with the bookies overrounds and betting tax of the time beats the hell out of me!

Return to “Tennis Trading”