Can you Facetime a tennis match?

pdenoeud

If you hide your phone well enough, can you Facetime a tennis match?
I know this is not allowed, but do you think this is feasable? I was said that for football there are too many people, so the 3G/4G internet connection is not good enough. Has anybody ever managed to Facetime during a tennis game? I guess there might be wifi networks accessible for some tournaments, from the field.
Dallas

If your sat trying to record a match it wouldn't be long before the people around you started reporting you to the officials who will eject you
You might get away with recording a small section of the court secretly but won't be able to hide it whilst capturing the whole court
Derek27

You would need a very discrete device, such as a small camera in a hat. It would be quite difficult with a smartphone.
pdenoeud

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 pm
You would need a very discrete device, such as a small camera in a hat. It would be quite difficult with a smartphone.
I think a small smartphone hidden in a big cap with a small holde could do the trick.
Derek27

The big cap might give it away.

I don't think it would be that easy, having a standard size flat smartphone flush against the inside of a cap, with the camera fixed to a small hole. How would you securely fasten the phone to the inside of the cap so it doesn't move?

It should easily fit inside a top hat but it would look a bit odd!
BetScalper

From my own experience of betting courtside then I would strongly advise you against it.

At one high profile tennis event overseas, I was manhandled and ejected from a stand, arrested, strip searched, held for 48 hours, deported, re-arrested and was then subjected to an HMRC close inspection of my finances lasting nearly 2 years.

To cut a long story short, it was a fcuking nightmare.

And to cap it all I was never actually charged with any offence at home or abroad.

Some events now have mobile/internet data blockers.
pdenoeud

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:54 pm
The big cap might give it away.

I don't think it would be that easy, having a standard size flat smartphone flush against the inside of a cap, with the camera fixed to a small hole. How would you securely fasten the phone to the inside of the cap so it doesn't move?

It should easily fit inside a top hat but it would look a bit odd!
I think I could sew pieces of fabric inside the hat.
I am not worried about the fact to hide a smartphone, but more about having a good 3G/4G or wifi connection in order to have a good video quality. Has anybody ever tested data or wifi connection during tennis big games?
pdenoeud

BetScalper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:57 pm
From my own experience of betting courtside then I would strongly advise you against it.

At one high profile tennis event overseas, I was manhandled and ejected from a stand, arrested, strip searched, held for 48 hours, deported, re-arrested and was then subjected to an HMRC close inspection of my finances lasting nearly 2 years.

And to cap it all I was never actually charged with any offence at home or abroad.

Damned, that sounds frightening.
I think I read somewhere that betting courtside was not against the law in the UK, but I am not 100% sure
Derek27

How would you sew a metal cased smartphone to fabric?

You may have missed BetScalper's post when you posted, if they're using data blockers it's unlikely you'll get a good connection.
BetScalper

pdenoeud wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:04 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Damned, that sounds frightening.
I think I read somewhere that betting courtside was not against the law in the UK, but I am not 100% sure
According to the UK Gambling commission, it is not considered illegal. However, I imagine if you were spotted doing it at Wimbledon then you would be ejected and equipment seized. I did it some years ago in Australia, where it was somewhat of a grey area. The authorities stated that in some cases it could be classed as illegal and others not.

I was actually detained under money laundering laws which led to HMRC trying to screw me big time on my return to the UK. It seemed that everyone thought it was illegal and if we can't prosecute him for it then try and do him for anything potentially related.

It could well be that things have calmed down now and you could just get a telling off and be on your way.
BetScalper

Recording and streaming a live televised sporting event could potentially be classed as copyright infringement. I am no lawyer but It would be no different to streaming Man City v Brighton via your sky subscription for others to watch for free.

You would get sued big time and probably made bankrupt as a result.
Derek27

In fact, in Australia, you could be slapped with a prison sentence of up to ten years, according to the Integrity in Sports Act.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32402945
ShaunWhite

Give the current security concerns I'd sincerely hope you'd be caught at the entrance with an electronic device sewn into your clothing. Or are you thinking of sending some other poor schmuck to take the risks while you try and make money from it.
BetScalper

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:31 pm
In fact, in Australia, you could be slapped with a prison sentence of up to ten years, according to the Integrity in Sports Act.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32402945
At the time you would have thought I was some kind of terrorist. The treatment was unbelievable.
BetScalper

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 pm
Give the current security concerns I'd sincerely hope you'd be caught at the entrance with an electronic device sewn into your clothing. Or are you thinking of sending some other poor schmuck to take the risks while you try and make money from it.
I went to the fight on Saturday and saw a guy being led away who was carrying a Galaxy Tab A.

Don't know for sure but I suspect he was either betting courtside or attempting to stream the fight.

Think the stadium was using data blockers though as none of us could get a mobile signal.

Return to “Tennis Trading”