Strategy based on 1st serve

pdenoeud

Hi all

I am wondering if there is a way to elaborate a profitable strategy based on tennis player's 1st serve.
There are some players who have a very good percentage of points won on their 1st serve, but a not so good percentage of points won on their second serve (compared to all players' average percentages on each serve).
Did anybody notice if the fact that such a player serves his first serve incorrectly impacts the odds or not?

If not, then when the player misses his first serve and the odds do not change, there might be a good entry point to lay him, just for the current point. In order to spot the 1st serve miss, you need to be able to follow the match with little delay.

What do you think about that? There are 99% of chances that the market is impacted by the 1st serve loss, but you never know :-)
Kafkaesque

pdenoeud wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 am
Hi all

I am wondering if there is a way to elaborate a profitable strategy based on tennis player's 1st serve.
There are some players who have a very good percentage of points won on their 1st serve, but a not so good percentage of points won on their second serve (compared to all players' average percentages on each serve).
Did anybody notice if the fact that such a player serves his first serve incorrectly impacts the odds or not?

If not, then when the player misses his first serve and the odds do not change, there might be a good entry point to lay him, just for the current point. In order to spot the 1st serve miss, you need to be able to follow the match with little delay.

What do you think about that? There are 99% of chances that the market is impacted by the 1st serve loss, but you never know :-)
If your question is simply, does the price move when a 1st serve is fault and 2nd serve is upcoming, then yes it does. More so, obviously, on key points. I'd be very surprised if those movements are not pretty darn close to optimal of actual impact of the upcoming serve being a 2nd.

Your best chance with that sort of thing would imo be to spot, if certain players become less effective on 2nd serves specifically when they're looking tired, when their toss-up is off often (mostly on women's side), or when it's a crucial point.
pdenoeud

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:34 pm
If your question is simply, does the price move when a 1st serve is fault and 2nd serve is upcoming, then yes it does. More so, obviously, on key points. I'd be very surprised if those movements are not pretty darn close to optimal of actual impact of the upcoming serve being a 2nd.
That's what I expected. This makes the all strategy void :( Thanks for your reply!

Return to “Tennis Trading”