Why do both players need a market in tennis?

Sushi

There only are two outcomes. Generally the money seems only to move through 1 player (in less popular matches anyway).

Betfair even displays inverse odds on it's website from the other player so they are the same market.

Why don't they just make it one?
Cran

Lots of people don't know what laying is and/or just want to back the team/player they think will win like they would at a regular bookie.
Sushi

Absolutely, I agree - but that only matters about what's being presented to the punters. One market is surely all that is required behind the scenes. This is already happening on the Betfair website.
Cran

I guess they just started with a market for each runner/player/team in each sport/event and it's stayed like that.

Having started that way it's possibly difficult to change it without effecting the API but I would have thought it should make things easier.

Hopefully they will make one market for 2 runner events at some point soon as it would make the trading easier not having to worry about which player you are on and if there is unseen money in front of you not showing on your screen due to the way they now match money across the two markets...

Return to “Tennis Trading”