Courtsiding Cheaters?

MarketTrader

I always had the view that placing bets at the courtside is cheating.

You cannot get hundreds of thousands of people at the side of the court all placing bets. So those that do have an unfair advantage. The playing field that I try to bet in is not longer level and I may as well not participate. This leads to less money in the market. On top of that, people who genuinely want to see a great tennis match rather than greedily soak up unwary money lose out too.

However, it seems like I am in the minority according to the current poll in the blog - http://www.betangel.com/blog_wp/
Capture.JPG
Does this mean I am mistaken or that people just don't care anymore?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stewart

There has to be a temptation for those at an event to try to influence this. Tennis & Golf are two sports that immediatley come to mind - crowd noise/interruptions during downswing or serve or moving ball in golf.
Euler

A great big ball appeared on court mid point in the Monfils match this morning, at a critical point in the match. Monfils lost his concentration double faulted and his opponent won the match. Makes you wonder?
LeTiss

I'm sorry mate, but that strikes me as very unlikely!

Courtsiders are trying to remain under the radar. For one of them to throw a beach ball onto the court, then frantically hoover up bets on his phone or laptop, seems pretty far fetched to me
JollyGreen

For me you have to be breaking a rule to be cheating. It may be that officials at a court are under instruction to prevent such activity or eject such players. I am not sure if there are any laws or rules that would prevent this activity apart from the use of mobile phones and devices being permitted at courtside.

I don't agree with it myself and believe Betfair need to think of ways to prevent it. That opens a whole new can of worms though and quite what they do is a tricky one.
Euler

LeTiss 4pm wrote:I'm sorry mate, but that strikes me as very unlikely!
I know, just putting up the possibility.
Will Sharpe

If I told you I had found out a way to beat the Inplay delay with 1 sec, how many of you would decline to use it if I offered it to you?

Yeah, thought so :shock:
JollyGreen

Not me, I don't agree with it but it's not cheating. Betfair need to stop it and if they can't then c'est la vie!
mister man

Will Sharpe wrote:If I told you I had found out a way to beat the Inplay delay with 1 sec, how many of you would decline to use it if I offered it to you?

Yeah, thought so :shock:

i would, its cheating full stop...
says more about you and those theives agreeing with you...
whers your pride,your honour,your pros status doing that...
Innertube

I think you will find Will Sharpe was making a point, not saying he would do it.

I don't agree with people profiting from seeing something before others can. There needs to be a level playing field. All Betfair need to do is increase the bet placement delay.
mister man

whatever....

god help us, with this level of morality or care for others...
a cheat wins means someone has been cheated...

ive yet to meet a punter thats happy to lose,but most accept it as part of the process,you win you lose.

have that same conversation, and suggest that the person/bookie/exchange already knew your bet was lost when they accepted it, (not when you placed it, only when they took it)and they lose that c'est la vie demeanour...
these cheats would not escape serious serious consequences were they identified..

cheatings cheating, thefts theft
Innertube

To counter the view that its wrong what about this...

All bookmakers win, so would you call that theft?

Most would accept that bookies are there to take money off people, because they offer odds or pricing structures that make it very hard to win. People go into a bet knowing that, but its perfectly acceptable and not consider immoral or underhanded.
mister man

cant you read innertube

the point is they knew you bet was lost when they accepted it, they only accept it when its lost and they know it,no bookie does that,they might think it,but they dont know its lost, as these cheats do...

tbh an 8 yr old could see the difference..cant you !!!! ?????
superfrank

in financial trading, courtsiding is the equivalent of getting the economic news first.

no one gets the news before the investment banks, so day trading around significant news is a risk that has to be accepted for those willing to take (or hold) positions at those times.

the investment bank traders probably get access to much news before its official announcement, but cannot be seen to act before the official announcement. so they wait until the second it's announced before smashing into the market (and/)or quietly build positions in advance.

it's no good moaning about it, one has to accept reality.

hopefully, one day, technology will allow everybody access to the same info at the same time, whether that be sporting or financial. until that time we just need to accept that things are not perfect (and do our best not to feed the sharks).
steven1976

Absolutely nothing wrong with courtsiding in my opinion. If people make the extra effort to go to an event to have an edge over the lazy guy sat in the comfort of his home with some superfast satalite system, then I say fair play to them. Ive done it once at the thai tennis open last year and if people say I was cheating then Ill not lose sleep over it.

Return to “Tennis Trading”