Courtsiding Cheaters?

Equity

With delay at least you are fast enough to cancel your bet.
LeTiss

Was anyone watching Aegon Championships yesterday?

The cameras focused on a bloke, who the commentators said was wearing a West Ham scarf. What they didn't mention was that he was furiously tapping away on an iPad!
Lagos

I went to the Eng V Aus Cricket on Saturday at Edgebaston. I took my I pad to keep my son entertained during lunch. I was stopped at the gate search and had to give my name and seat number. I asked why and was told people are using I pads to send info to the sub continent for betting purposes!
Not quite sure what you can send off an I pad you cant send off an I phone, but I think he basically ment courtsiding the cricket.
Kalumpus

Interesting subject - I've spent time at race meetings calling the action & its certainly an edge. But I've found I can make more money watching BF LV covering more racing in a day. Admitedly can't make as much per meeting but overall I can make more. Its a hassle and cost to get out there everyday & good luck to those that want to bother, I dont see them as cheats as long as rules are not being broken- I'm talking horseracing here!
Euler

It's most likely that the best tournaments to trade are not actually in the UK, but abroad. I'd imagine every son and his dog may give it a shot in the UK.

http://www.betangel.com/blog_wp/2013/06 ... g_betfair/
kelpie

I don't find courtsiders a problem at all. Bings liquidity into the markets plus they don't always get it right. Premature ejaculation etc :roll:
rogerlisa

Relative newbie here, but read all the thread. Surely some bots could be classed as a form of cheating, or false money, or offices full of employed traders manipulating markets etc Surely if someone is prepared to travel to a race meeting to place a bet with an on site bookie surely he can also place a bet with an online bookie but inplay instead. I think the problem is that most people on this forum are traders outright i.e reacting to moving figures/markets and not just plain old punters. Surely the good old punter needs an 'edge' to. imho that is all
Euler

It's all about risk though isn't it?

People don't like courtsiders etc. because they take money out of the market at little risk. They see something happening before anybody else and can clean up with virtually no risk and therefore suck liquidity out of the exchange.

Other people active in the market, however they do it, do have to take risk and are therefore net liquidity providers to the exchange. Bots, arbers, traders all take risk of some sort.
rogerlisa

Euler wrote:It's all about risk though isn't it?

People don't like courtsiders etc. because they take money out of the market at little risk. They see something happening before anybody else and can clean up with virtually no risk and therefore suck liquidity out of the exchange.

Other people active in the market, however they do it, do have to take risk and are therefore net liquidity providers to the exchange. Bots, arbers, traders all take risk of some sort.
Yes surely, but isnt trading about seizing opportunity aswell?
Kalumpus

As somebody rightly pointed out, first in the market dont always get it right, especially in horse racing - I know I've been there :oops:
Euler

rogerlisa wrote:Yes surely, but isnt trading about seizing opportunity aswell?
Not always. Many different ways to trade the markets.

On some markets I put some orders in the market, wait for them to get filled. That's about it.
lewcla

I was in Eastbourne on Friday for the semis, and happened to notice that any odds movement occurred around 3/4 seconds after the conclusion of the point.

This led me to conclude that either;

a) there are some people (including Betfair employees etc) that are able to avoid the inplay suspension delay, or

b) because the pictures are streamed from a UK tourney, the lag between live stream and live action is less than the 6 second inplay suspension delay - therefore traders are able to cancel bets accordingly, thus removing liquidity.

Or actually, it could be a combo of both points....either way, it made for very interesting reading.

Perhaps someone could clarify whether I'm being over-imaginative, or just provide any feedback.
Euler

Thought it may be worth using the press coming out of the Aussie open to re-raise this thread and continue the discussion as the on-going case in Australia is obviously going to bring this to the fore and may force some changes.
Euler

Original posts on the story: -
stevequal wrote:"22 year old man from the UK charged with courtside betting. The penalties for the offences are up to 10 years in jail."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/j ... alian-open

Story seems to be covered by most the main stream press. Not sure I have seen it get this attention before.
Aussie news coverage: -

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/ ... g-scandal/
Euler

Latest information on the court case: -

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/na ... 6808518757

THE first person charged with Victoria's "courtsiding" offence is one of six people who travel to tennis tournaments the world over to send live score updates to a British betting agency, a court has heard.

UK man Daniel Thomas Dobson, 22, was arrested after an Australian Open match last week following intelligence received by Tennis Australia and passed on to police.

He's accused of using a device hidden in his shorts to send live point details from the match to betting agency Sporting Data Limited.

His lawyer, David Galbally QC, told the Melbourne Magistrates Court on today Mr Dobson was seeking to have the charges dropped. But prosecutors rejected Mr Galbally's submission and will push ahead.

Prosecutor Luke Excell said Mr Dobson was allegedly one of six people who travel the world to send live results of points won at tennis tournaments directly to the betting agency.

"He's previously been asked to leave a tournament in New Zealand," Mr Excell told court.

Mr Dobson has been charged with one count of engaging in conduct that would corrupt a betting outcome.

He allegedly had a device built into his shorts and linked to his mobile phone which allowed him to wirelessly relay the results as they happened.

Mr Dobson sent results before the agency could get them through the official channels and that had the ability to affect betting odds, a police prosecutor told a hearing last week.

But Mr Dobson's lawyers claim their client was simply collecting data for the betting agency.

Dobson was bailed to live in a Melbourne hotel following his arrest on January 16, but Mr Galbally said his client wishes to return to England until a March court date.

Mr Galbally said Mr Dobson planned to live with his father, Detective Inspector Tim Dobson of the Metropolitan Police, upon his return to England.

The court could therefore have confidence he would return to face the charge, Mr Galbally said.

The Office of Public Prosecutions proposed Mr Dobson post a bail surety of $100,000 to $500,000, a figure which Mr Galbally said amounted to "no bail at all".

Mr Galbally said the figure was excessive given police initially offered Mr Dobson a diversion for his alleged offending.

Diversion allows first-time offenders to acknowledge responsibility and be released without conviction.

Magistrate Gerard Lethbridge said he intends to allow Mr Dobson to return home on a surety of $10,000.

The hearing was temporarily stood down while the arrangements for the surety are organised.

Return to “Tennis Trading”