Today's Tennis

sa7med

Dallas

Andy Murray looks likely to retire after the Australian open through ongoing issues following his hip operation.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46833018

I've often posted about how he's a 'ATM' from a trading perspective when playing but I'll sure miss watching him play and think it'll unfortunately be a while before Britain produces another player like him
ShaunWhite

Murray has been good, but for the tv news to be speculating that he's our greatest sportsmen ever is ridiculous.
Not following tennis, I thought that 3 grand slams meant that he'd won all the majors in a year 3 times. Turns out a grand slam is just a single major tournament! The list of people who've achieved more than that is a long one, we'll start with Lewis Hamilton and his 5 world championships, or McCoy and his total dominance of racing for decades. Murray the greatest British sportsman ever, not even close. ....and all that crying at the press conference, ffs get a grip man!
ShaunWhite

Confused : Just looked up "Grand Slam"
If someone wins a grand slam, they win all the major tournaments in a season in a particular sport, for example in golf or tennis.

ok maybe I take it back, I didn't realise he'd won all the majors in a year 3 times.
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:20 pm
Murray has been good, but for the tv news to be speculating that he's our greatest sportsmen ever is ridiculous.
Not following tennis, I thought that 3 grand slams meant that he'd won all the majors in a year 3 times. Turns out a grand slam is just a single major tournament! The list of people who've achieved more than that is a long one, we'll start with Lewis Hamilton and his 5 world championships, or McCoy and his total dominance of racing for decades. Murray the greatest British sportsman ever, not even close. ....and all that crying at the press conference, ffs get a grip man!
Bollocks. Murray has been an immense sportsman, far superior to Hamilton and McCoy...........they just sat in a car, or on a horse
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm
If someone wins a grand slam, they win all the major tournaments in a season in a particular sport, for example in golf or tennis.

ok maybe I take it back, I didn't realise he'd won all the majors in a year 3 times.
A Grand Slam is a single tournament in Tennis
There are four each year starting with next weeks Aus Open
Rolland Garros (French Open)
Wimbledon
US Open
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm

A 'Grand Slam' in tennis is just one of the major tournaments (Wimbledon/French/US/Australia), unlike our triple crown or the US grand slam (triple crown + Breeders Cup) where you have to win all to claim grand slam victory.
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:41 pm
Bollocks. Murray has been an immense sportsman, far superior to Hamilton and McCoy...........they just sat in a car, or on a horse
I did say I didn't follow tennis so wasn't sure what the big deal was. The guy seems to have won 3 major comps in an entire career. ok forget cars and horses, haven't we had golfers or boxers who've done more than that?

I'm not advocating any specific person over another, I don't follow or care enough about sport to retain that sort of info. I was really just trying to find out what the big deal was and 'immense' doesn't really inform me much. All I've ever seen him do is moan and look miserable. Help me out here, why should I be in awe of him?
MemphisFlash

Phil "The Power" Taylor 16 Times World Champion.
Has murray ever been world champion except in moaning. i Don't Think So.
ShaunWhite

Been doing some looking up to be fair to the guy.... you say Murray is 'immense' but other people seem to have won in the teens of gram slams, not just 3. The top 4 have won 64 between them !

https://www.statista.com/statistics/263 ... urnaments/
ShaunWhite

MemphisFlash wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm
Thx Memphis, that's another great example.
ShaunWhite

Ronnie O'Sullivan has won 19 Major (Triple Crown) titles — the most by any player in history, including a record seven UK Championships and a record seven Masters titles. What about him?
LeTiss

MemphisFlash wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm
Here's Phil 'The Power' Taylor turning his hand to another sport
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MemphisFlash

murray moaning.jpg

here's murray doing what he does best. MOANING
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

I remember one year Murrey spent the winter working out in the gym, he came onto court for his first tournament and showed off his biceps to the crowd. I immediately thought, the William sisters and many other women tennis players have more muscle than him. :lol:

Return to “Tennis Trading”