Today's Tennis

Kafkaesque

Might be a few good spots today...and a few to be careful with. Given how the rain has the schedulers scrambling.

Players having niggling injuries, or long-standing issues like Rafa, might not fancy it today this close to the French, if they end up in a dog fight in their first match, given that they're set up to play two matches today. Or players prone to throw their toys out of the pram, Kyrgios or Fognini, might just not bother fighting back.

Diego Schwartzman is scheduled for, potentially, three matches today!!! Two singles and a double. Others might be in the same boat, haven't done a full check yet.
mcgoo

So Kyrgios appears to have spat the dummy :? ..
gutuami

interesting to see the market reaction to that
JTEDL

Missed it earlier, would be great if someone could put a chart up 8-)

another view filmed by someones mobile courtside - https://mobile.twitter.com/SI_Tennis/st ... 3415185408

warning contains some f-bombs :lol:
mcgoo

I wonder what that boy is so mad at
Derek27

mcgoo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 am
He appeared angry with the audience for distracting him by moving about when he was about to serve, but I think he was really annoyed just for losing a game!
Euler

This was interesting: -

In today's third-round match in Rome, Roger Federer posted a truly unusual stat line. He beat Borna Coric in three sets, 2-6 6-4 7-6(7), winning 95 points to Coric's 107. That's a total-points-won rate (TPW) 47.0%, not unheard of for a match winner, but near the lower limit of what's possible. By Dominance Ratio (DR)--the ratio of return points won to serve points lost--Fed comes out at 0.78, where 1.0 represents an evenly-split match. He has won only 24 times in his career with a DR below 1.0, and today was the first time since 2015. These types of decisions are often referred to as "lottery matches," because there is more luck than usual involved in the result.

Not only did Federer win the match with a TPW below 50% and a DR below 1.0, all three of his individual sets were below those numbers. He won 23 of 55 points in the first set, 31 of 64 in the second, and 41 of 83 in the third. The low total in the first set is to be expected--he lost that set badly. But often, low numbers for an entire match stem from a bad performance in a single set, like the swoon in a 7-6 1-6 7-6 contest. Coric outplayed him--narrowly, at least--in all three sets.

You might suspect that this is extremely rare, and you'd be right. Only 4.5% of ATP tour-level matches end in favor of the player who won fewer points, and 7.2% go the direction of a player with a DR below 1.0. Those numbers usually overlap, but not always. Roughly 4.0% of matches are won by a player with a TPW below 50% and a DR below 1.0. Individual sets are even more likely to be awarded to the player who won more points. Just 2.4% of sets are won by the man who lost more points. The frequency of DR < 1.0 is 7.4%, about the same as at the match level.
mcgoo

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:16 am
mcgoo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 am
He appeared angry with the audience for distracting him by moving about when he was about to serve, but I think he was really annoyed just for losing a game!
Interesting..generally though..the guy is worth millions..he plays sport for a living...the littlest thing sets him off.. what is he so mad at :?
mcgoo

BF appear to have the wrong server again in the Stakhovsky game :?
Dallas

Thought I'd have a look at the Nottingham final this afternoon - only £24k matched as it starts.
Sort of puts the breaks on that at least for some time!
Dallas

Been a great final to watch and would have been even better to trade had it not been for the small matter of BF having on-going problems all day

Charts at 1-1 6-6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

Well the match is finished, just waiting for BF to eventually realise and suspend.

Feel a bit sorry for Vekic, certainly would have liked to have seen her take it

EDIT; around 40-50secs later they caught on!
Dallas

Emotional speech from Vekic
Dallas

Just noticed my bot picked up a really good win in the Osaka match that's just finished - nice unexpected boost for the day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tennis Trading”