Today's Tennis

Kafkaesque

mjay wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 am
Azarenka's serve and return stats are back to elite levels. Stephens destroyed Kerber the other day - although the German looked very unhappy with the windy conditions. Stephen is one I used to class as a rogue and not to be trusted, but she can play very well - see US Open win.

Another 3 set match for Del Potro last night and surely the exertions of Indian Wells must finally catch up on him. Still the opposition is hardly inspiring, although maybe this will allow some low lay possibilities.
Del Potro looked very jaded for large parts yesterday. A better player on the other side - or one more on his game on the day - would surely have taken the chances given and swung it his way. So yeah agree, potential lay spots upcoming.
mjay

Today Del Potro plays Isner. I have mentioned Del Potro's fatigue issue that may lead to opportunities. Isner is not too strong on getting breaks back, but can dig in at the end of the 1st set. Del Potro has a 4-1 H2H on hard courts, but those matches have all been tight with 2 going 3 sets. Maybe opportunities if Del Potro takes the 1st.

Carreno-Busta conspired to make life difficult last night, trading way under 1.03 before blowing the 2nd set. He is capable of fighting back against Zverev, but you can't help wonder what the emotional and physical toll will have been from his match against Anderson.
Dallas

I'de tend agree with most those comments above so especially looking forward to the Del Potro tonight.
Daaniel

mjay wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:28 am
Carreno-Busta conspired to make life difficult last night, trading way under 1.03 before blowing the 2nd set. He is capable of fighting back against Zverev, but you can't help wonder what the emotional and physical toll will have been from his match against Anderson.
Finally getting a win over a player who won the previous 5 matches could be a pretty nice confidence booster. I'm not to worried about any physical fatigue, the Spaniard had short matches so far and the points against Anderson tend to be quite short. Well see what opportunists are presented inplay. Prematch I feel Zverev is too short at the current odds.
mjay

Carreno-Busta has some above average break back stats for the 2nd set if he is trailing a set. He looks weaker if broken in a 3rd set.
He also looks vulnerable if leading in a deciding set.

Zverev has excellent break back stats across all 3 sets.
mjay

Del Potro so tired can hardly walk off court! "Get some rest" Isner tells him!
Black Ice

Good call mjay & Kafkaesque re Del P! Any further comments re fatigue or medical will be much appreciated!!
Cheers,
Black Ice
Dallas

Let's hope the men's 2nd Semi Final has more opportunities
mjay

The tennisform site has a ticker that has match reports and all injury news. It is pretty expensive unfortunately.
mjay

An excellent women's final in prospect. Stephens has shown she's capable of fighting this week and that is a given from Ostapenko.
Expect plenty of heavy hitting and wildly erratic swings from the brilliant to the ball flying out of the court!
Opposing Stephens if she leads looks a viable option.
Black Ice

Agree mjay..good summing up!...be lucky..& thanks...
Dallas

4 breaks from the opening 4 games
Dallas

No shortage of opportunities in the first set (8 breaks in 12 games)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjay

I love watching Ostapenko but her errors to winners is a problem. 8 break opportunities each but Stephens just more consistent.

This is the problem I have with WTA; the opportunities were there but the tick movement for a break is so much less than the ATP that
you really need a hold as well - fat chance with these two!
mjay

Men's Final. Zverev leads H2H 3-0. Their last 2 matches have been tight with 4 tiebreaks.
Zverev as the young, exciting player has great break back stats in all sets - unlike the serve orientated Isner.

Isner has looked very composed this week after a poor start to the year. If he could just sneak a break he could be hard to pin back.
Maybe Zverev maybe worth opposing if he takes the first set, but it should be an interesting clash of styles.

Return to “Tennis Trading”