Ryder Cup 2012

Euler

American's on a bit of a roll this evening :?
JollyGreen

Wow! I have watched the Ryder Cup since...well I can't remember but it was GB & Ireland in those early days.

In the last 12 years it was generally close, one side has a run and the other side struggles. Then fortune changes and things even up. This year is so weird with the USA team playing unbelievable golf especially their putting. They must have holed a mile of putts!! :shock:

The only thing I disagree with is the layout of the course. If you ignore the holes where water is in play then it is possible to stand up to the ball take a wild slash at it and no matter where it lands you will have a lie for your second shot. I know the USA setup the course this way to suit their team and that is fair enough but I can't help thinking there should be some sort of price to pay for such spraying off the tee. Yes, Seve was renowned for this type of play but even then he had to struggle with the lie of his ball. This course has rough akin to the fairway on most courses. So that means it is a game of putting and the Americans are winning that hands down.

I just wonder if things may change slightly if the Europeans get off to a flyer in the first 4 singles matches and the pressure builds.

This isn't sour grapes, the USA have been the better team by miles, they setup the course to suit them and they have taken advantage of it. I just hope our boys can get on a bit of a roll and make a fight of it.

On another point, I think the crowds have been pretty good. There are a few idiots but beer does that to people. The cheering on a bad euro shot is to be expected, it happens the other way around over here. I don't agree with it, I would never boo anyone or any team but it seems to be the norm these days.

C'mon Europe fight all the way in the spirit of Seve!
superfrank

agree. the layout of the course spoils the spectacle imo. they keep saying the USA wanted a putting competition - it's proved that Amercians are better at putting on ultra-fast greens, but we knew that anyway.

i think it's the 15th - a drivable par 4 - where all the players just smash the ball at the bunker on the left knowing they have a good chance to get up and down from there. there should be reward for keeping the ball on the fairway, not just who can smash it the furthest with a driver that has a head the size of a melon.

also, those "cheat" putters should be banned. they obviously give an unfair advantage to those who have mastered their use.

one last thing, Poulter should learn to celebrate with a bit more grace instead of eye bulging aggression - he looks like an idiot and very much like beaker.

JollyGreen

Beaker = Poulter, :D nice one Frank I can see where you're coming from on that although I hadn't thought of it myself.

I love Poulter though and I think if you took that aggression away from him he would be half the player! He's tied for the most successful player in this Ryder Cup so he must be doing something right!
superfrank

it would just be nice if he at least smiled when he makes a putt rather than look like he's knocked someone out in a cage fight.

he's a good player but imo he needs to get down the gym to have a chance of winner a major cos he's too short off the tee compared to most - although having said that, Bubba Watson looks like he couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding yet hits it miles.
steven1976

I think course set up these days doesnt offer that much advantage to either sides as most the lads from Europe are so use to playing and winning in the US. Unfortunately, I havent had much chance to.see the ryder cup due to the time difference but it sounds like we are getting a spanking.
Euler

I don't think the Europeans have played badly, its just that the US have been exceptional.
superfrank

i fancy:

Rose to beat Mickelson (2.66)
Bradley to beat McIlroy (2.68)
Kutcher to beat Westwood (2.08)
Donald to beat Watson (2.14)

US to win 17-11.

you can come back and laugh at my selections later!
Euler

Singles have started ok.
Euler

This is getting mighty interesting now!
LeTiss

Incredible stuff

Liquidity not as great as I was expecting though, certainly not as high as 2 years ago
superfrank

just got back in and expected it to be all over!
Euler

Almost is, but in the right manner
Euler

That is just unbelievable! Europe retain the Ryder cup
USA - IP.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Tiger just gifted me a massive bonus, that is the most perfect end possible!

Return to “Trading Golf”