George Groves vs Chris Eubank Jr | 17/02/2018

jamdog

WBA Super World Super Middleweight Title

Groves 2.48
Eubank 1.75
Draw 30

Fascinating match up this one and I think there's a chance of a good trading opportunity. Eubank will enter the ring as betting favourite but I expect him to drift early on as the champion Groves is a fast starter. If he gets his double jab going early it's going to be difficult for Eubank to adjust who has not been with anything like the company Groves has.

Eubank does have exceptional stamina though and what looks like a very solid chin. Groves can get flaky in the middle rounds, loses concentration and tends to want to rumble when he gets tagged.

So lay Eubank early to back later is the strategy.

Anyone got any thoughts on this one?
DRED1

Funny I agree with you, but have a funny feeling about Groves this time, something spooks me about Eubank
Groves stops him in the 8th
No after timing here.

Enjoy the fight
D
jamdog

Cheers D. Yep, I've gone back and forth with this one since it was announced. On paper, the case for Groves is really strong - bigger, more experienced, better wins. And what Groves says about Eubank's best wins being against stationary targets like Abraham is definitely true. I do think a high-volume pressure fighter with a good chin is Groves' kryptonite though.

Whatever happens, I expect it to be exciting. Both guys have their weaknesses - I'm hoping for mayhem :)
Naffman

I like groves for this one - worst possible style of fighter for Eubank.

As the previous poster said Eubank looks impressive, but only against fighters, not boxers.

If Groves can control the jab then he wins this easily, Eubank doesn't (on what I've seen) have enough power to KO someone with a half decent chin.

Be a good fight though :)
jamdog

Agreed Naffman, the jab's the key for Groves. Eubank does the better work inside and he can't win from range. I expect both guys to eat big shots at some point so will be very interesting to see who handles it better.
BetScalper

Eubank will stop him inside 6 rounds.
Crazyskier

BetScalper wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:54 pm
Eubank will stop him inside 6 rounds.
Something tells me it will be Groves between 5-8th :o

CS
jamdog

I'll go Eubank round 11. :arrow:
Naffman

Groves on points
jamdog

Good shout, Naffman. :) I think Eubank stank the place out. Didn't throw any feints to get on the inside, just marched forward, then when he did, got tied up too easily. I believe him now when he says he trains himself. :shock: Groves very disciplined and drilled – good performance.

Return to “Boxing”