Wilder vs Ortiz

Naffman

Lots of great boxing on Saturday night/Sunday morning but I think this one tops them all

IMO this is a really tricky fight for Wilder (even trickier than AJ) as Ortiz is such a good boxer and a really good counter puncher so for someone like Wilder who likes to swing with not much defence it could be dangerous

Really Surprised to see Ortiz at 3/1 but I suppose Wilder did well beating up a punching bag in that last fight :lol:

So my bets will be Ortiz win 3/1 and a small lay on Wilder to win by KO

What are everyone else's thoughts?
SeaHorseRacing

Naffman wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 am
Lots of great boxing on Saturday night/Sunday morning but I think this one tops them all

IMO this is a really tricky fight for Wilder (even trickier than AJ) as Ortiz is such a good boxer and a really good counter puncher so for someone like Wilder who likes to swing with not much defence it could be dangerous

Really Surprised to see Ortiz at 3/1 but I suppose Wilder did well beating up a punching bag in that last fight :lol:

So my bets will be Ortiz win 3/1 and a small lay on Wilder to win by KO

What are everyone else's thoughts?
Not sure but a straighter technical boxer is likely to punch through and knock Mr Windmiller out eventually. Good call btw on the Eubank fight. The thing with Wilder, technically he looks crap but his punch and snap is powerful to knock anyone out. Don't know about Ortiz. But I think anyone who fights wilder should be looking to go as long as they can rather than a knockout as it could backfire, including Joshua.

If I was Ortiz i would be looking to go 12 rounds and dodging as much as I can, Dont think he let Wilder do what he did to his last opponent and just run at him.
jamesfkh

3/1 is an incredible price for Ortiz. Unless he has aged overnight Ortiz is all wrong for Wilder. Watch for him to lean back and pick his moments. Wilder comes forward with a wide open guard, a fairly novice mistake he has gotten away with because of the low level opposition so far. Ortiz was a vastly experienced top amateur and is highly skilled and crafty. He is big, strong and heavy handed. He has been avoided for years with good reason. Only his age, probably 40 plus, is a worry. Still, I would put this fight 70 to 30 in his favour.
Naffman

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:55 am
Good call btw on the Eubank fight.
Thanks! And I feel this fight has so much in common with that too - Wilder/Eubank all the hype, both aggressive fighters and very bullish

Wilder also struggled against Szpilka who fights quite like Ortiz but is nowhere near as good

Loads of other good fights on that night too

- Brook vs Rabchenko
- Bivol vs Barrera
- Kovalev vs some random :lol:

In fact its a great month of boxing :)
Naffman

What a fight!

Had Ortiz 4 rounds up by the start of the 10th, he had nothing left and Wilder with the athleticism punished him!

Edit: Had a look at the judges scorecards and they were all 85-84, looks like it would've been rigged by Big Al anyway :lol:
Trader Pat

Can't wait for Wilder - Joshua now. Worth noting that Klitschko spent the last 5-6 years of his career avoiding Ortiz & Wilder

Return to “Boxing”