Joshua Vs Parker

SeaHorseRacing

Where you at Naffman?

Is it me or does Joshua at 1.18 seem a little on the short side? Would like him to win but does seem a little too short.
Naffman

I think that's about the right odds tbf

I've watched Parker and he's been dreadful his last few fights

I probably rate him as good as Takam (very similar too) - good chin, fast hands but just doesn't punch hard enough

I think the odds have it about right and really struggling to see when this fight will finish (could even be decision)

What are your thoughts?
Trader Pat

I'm saving myself for a proper fight, Golovkin - Alvarez.

I think the only fight to potentially get excited about in the heavyweight division will be Wilder - Joshua. If Joshua really is the real deal the fight against Parker shouldnt last very long, pressure is on AJ now to follow up what Wilder did to Ortiz.

I wouldnt be shelling out to see it though, cant stand the Sky hype machine
SeaHorseRacing

I am just unsure about anything but after watching some previews for this fight Joshua seems very nervous about it.

His body language just seemed different, I think this will go the full distance. All I can see which I think could help Parker can see him being the more aggressor here but I have no doubt that Joshua should be odds on, my initial thinking before I even looked at the odds was 1.36.

Looking forward to the fight!
Naffman

Hasn't Alvarez just received a ban?

Wilder is more on whytes level - Joshua has nothing to worry about with the current crop of active fighters

Good undercard too
Trader Pat

Naffman wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:23 pm
Hasn't Alvarez just received a ban?

Wilder is more on whytes level - Joshua has nothing to worry about with the current crop of active fighters

Good undercard too
He got a temporary suspension and has to appear before the commission in April but perceived wisdom is the fight will go ahead, Vargas was allowed to fight a couple of years ago after a similiar violation so wouldnt worry about it too much.

For me Wilder is a step above Whyte but I'm still not sure what AJ's level is. Klitchsko had him beaten but got caught in the headlights when he should have finished him. I think Joshua's toughest opponent could be Fury if he ever gets fit. Having said that he could avoid both of them if he wanted to and could spend the next few years fighting Haye, Chisora, Whyte & even Bellew! Joshua wanted Fury to sign for Matchroom so it would be easier to negotiate a fight and he didnt, so don't think that will be happening anytime soon.
jamdog

The heavyweight division is pretty fun at the moment. I watched Parker a couple of times and I'm a bit none the wiser. Scrappy, untidy but gets the job done against generally humdrum opposition.

The Fury who beat Klitschko would give AJ a massive headache but I'm not sure we'll see that guy again. Losing the weight is one thing, being back in competitive action at that level another.

The Klitschko fight proved that Joshua's intangibles are strong. He overcame adversity, showed a big heart and finished spectacularly. I like how he was chatting shit to Wlad in the round before he KO'd him – he's got a nasty edge, which I like. I always worried about his physique's effect on his gas tank but his stamina looked fine to me over 11 rounds. Wilder is technically a basketcase but obviously very dangerous.

I'm looking forward to Povetkin-Price more than the main event. Got a certain car crash appeal and you never know – the plumber might shock the world. :geek:
Naffman

Huge money for Parker - sub 5/1 now!

I remember watching the Parker Cojanu fight now that was so bad, I know Cojanu didn't want to fight but Jesus I almost fell asleep!

Agreed jamdog I'm looking forward to that fight too, I think Povetkin is still a good fighter just he's probably too old now to win a belt but surely be can beat Price
jamdog

Naffman wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:01 pm

£4K bet there. THEY know! I guess people think he could do a Corrie Sanders. I think his best chance is early as the damage from AJ's straight punches accumulates quite nastily by the halfway stage. Yeah, Povetkin probably should angle for a final payday assuming he gets past Price. I bet he wishes he was 10 years younger with this current crop - he would have been right in the mix.
ShaunWhite

jamdog wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:25 pm
Naffman wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:01 pm

£4K bet there. THEY know!
Maybe all 'they' knew was that he'll start shorter than 7, especially if big money arrives, and everybody thinks 'they know' and follows the hot gossip. An over reaction follows to 5.3 and eventually some sense is restored at 5.8ish. That's a classic chart shape for a crowd's (over)reaction to news, and news can be just empty speculation or reaction to bet which might just be a trade.

Looks like the crowd have decided that Parker will end up on his arse 5 times out of 6 rather than 6 times out of 7. Not what I'd call a sign of him being an undercover winner.

Boxing is an odd one, not massive markets but populated by plenty of people with very deep pockets who like boxing, multimillionaire sportmen, 'businessmen' etc, they wouldn't think twice about dropping 4 or even 10 grand on the outsider to make the night more interesting. It's not much fun for them winning a grand on Joshua, they'd spend that on the cost of a night out.

So was it 'they know', was it traders who understand crowds, was it just a few people emptying out some pocket change....we'll never know.
Naffman

If my memory serves me correct I'm pretty sure the only other fight where they backed the outsider strongly against AJ was Klitcscho and we all know how close that got (was winning on points and dropped Joshua)

Rumours are the winner of Price v Povetkin fights AJ (presuming he wins) next

Wilders camp are being utter kn**s - they'd rather clean out the second grade American fighters than fight Whyte or AJ, such a shame
jamdog

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:42 am

Maybe all 'they' knew was that he'll start shorter than 7, especially if big money arrives, and everybody thinks 'they know' and follows the hot gossip.
Oh boxing insiders don't know shit. There's almost an inverse relationship between involvement in boxing and ability to pick winners. Angelo Dundee said he was terrible at tipping boxing and Teddy Atlas is legendarily poor. I'd imagine boxing's not particularly attractive to pro gamblers as it just doesn't happen often enough - high turnover sports like tennis and basketball make more sense. I'd agree that highrollers with no particular knowledge could easily shift the price quite dramatically.
Trader Pat

Naffman wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:36 am

Rumours are the winner of Price v Povetkin fights AJ (presuming he wins) next

Wilders camp are being utter kn**s - they'd rather clean out the second grade American fighters than fight Whyte or AJ, such a shame
The British fight fans are probably the best in the world because they can fill a stadium when one of their own is fighting, the only reason Price is still in the mix is his nationality. If he was from anywhere else in the world we'd never have heard of him again after the 2nd Thompson fight. I can see him going down hard and early, big man with no chin.

I think Wilders camp are playing it the right way, Eddie Hearn has said he wants Wilder to fight Whyte next as an eliminator to fight Joshua, and he's saying if Wilder doesnt take the fight with Whyte soon then there'll be no rematch clause.. Wilder is the WBC champion so why should he jump through hoops just to make Eddie Hearn richer? Also Wilder wants a 50/50 split which Hearn isn't willing to give, which is silly as the split for the Parker fight is rumoured to be 65/35.

Matchroom have too much power as it is and Hearn is intent on signing as many fighters as he can to his stable so he can control the sport completely at the higher levels. Its not good for the sport, wasnt so long ago you had Old man Hearn, Frank Moloney & Frank Warren plus the American promotors like King and Arum. Now 1 Frank is gone never to return and the other is promoting nobodies, as is Don King, and Arum hasnt got the fighters he once did. The only promotor to rival Matchroom is Golden Boy but I dont think there are any fights to be made between the 2 camps, so Matchroom can dominate the British & Heavyweight scene for years to come especially if Wilder was to lose to Joshua.
Trading96

Been looking forward to this all day, just realised it's a Friday not Saturday. Football today threw me off.
trader44

the lay to back for me is joshua at the starting price very little risk and could cop a good trade . if it goes longer than 2 or 3 rounds and parker is competitive then joshuas price will drift. :D

Return to “Boxing”