Regards
Peter
CaerMyrddin

Looked like even Green was embarrassed :o
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Can't be let to stand can it?

Credit to Danny Green for his post fight speech.
RafterP

Thats nearly as bad as Formula 1!
Finoh

This copied from Perthnow dated June 19th, might shed some light on the bout.
"Ill health, initially believed to be a neurological problem, had Briggs exit the ring in 2007, but the 34-year-old was lured out of his hiatus last month by the Green challenge.

Rumours from the boxing fraternity surfaced after the comeback announcement, with the most troubling regarding a sparring session that had a delusional Briggs throwing punches at thin air, while his stunned opponent watched on.

But the former WBC No.1 contender dismissed the rumours and said his health issues had been psychological.
"

Cheers

Finoh
Naffman

Parker somehow won by 8 rounds on 2 judges scorecards tonight!!

This will be the last time I ever bet on boxing it's getting beyond a joke now.
ShaunWhite

Sorry about your loss Naffman but Parker definitely won it. Fury was weak in the last rounds. I agree it was much closer than 8 rounds though. Maybe even just 1 or 2.

Challengers always need a clear win for the champ to have his crown taken away. Add the fact that a brit(ish) vs a foreigner always attracts excessive partisan money and fury was pretty poor value anyway.

Haye fight will be the same story. He'll probably win but will be way waaay too short at about 1/3. I'd put him nearer 1/2 or maybe even bigger. It only takes one shot.
Naffman

It's not like I lost a lot haha but thanks! ;)

Surely every fight should be scored based on its merits and not just because one is a challenger and one is a champion?

And with all these dodgy wide margin calls it just amazes me how they actually got Fury's win in Dusseldorf so spot on.
Bluesky

Naffman wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:22 am
Surely every fight should be scored based on its merits and not just because one is a challenger and one is a champion?
In an ideal world yes but in reality that doesn't seem to happen. Scoring boxing rounds can be very subjective, judges will often give what should have been an even round, to the current title holder. If the title holder is fighting at home then this situation is even more likely to occur.

I am not saying there is cheating going on although I know it has happened in the past and I am sure it does happen from time to time. What I think is more likely to happen is that the judges are being influenced unconsciously by the crow. Every time the home champion lands a punch it will be cheered and not only does this inspire the home fighter, but the judges will take more account of it.

Return to “Boxing”