Greyhound Scalping and Trading

We've gone to the dogs.
cybernet69

xitian wrote:
cybernet69 wrote:The best advice I can give you is NEVER EVER take the back or lay odds on offer.
Isn't using a stop-loss taking odds which are on offer?
That's when you need to get out of a trade. What I meant was when you initial open a trade DO NOT take the best back or lay price on offer.
Pinnochio

;)
Last edited by Pinnochio on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guy333

Dallas wrote:
guy333 wrote:
PeterLe wrote: Look; Ill probably not be too popular saying this; but if you detail exactly what your doing in a public forum, your strategy will most probably stop working overnight as everyone will attempt to do the same thing.
Personally I think it is quite refreshing for someone to be willing to help other users.

Do you really think that a handful of copycats are going to affect a strategy when thousands of pounds are traded on each race?

Surely it is the interest of all users for as many fellow Bet Angel users as possible to find a winning strategy.

I am still plugging away but will have to cease my subscription if I cannot make it work soon.
Everyone would like to see fellow forum users making a profit but if everyone done exactly the same stratergy all would end up losing.
My point is that there are thousands of traders/gamblers on Betfair. This thread may be popular but I don't think posting a strategy here is going to instantly lead to hundreds or thousands of people using the same strategy.

I am not asking for anyone to give me their secrets. I have been plugging away for years and if I ever crack it I would be reluctant to pass it on to someone who has not put in the years of graft that I have.

Having said that I have relatively recently found the Automation on Bet Angel and so am always glad of any tips.
cybernet69

If you are going to trade Greyhounds then make sure the back book % is below 110%. This usually happens around 2/3 minutes before the start of the race. Why 110% ?, well most greyhound books will start around 200% because nobody is trading any of the prices on offer because the back odds are far to low for any type of value to be found. When the book goes below 110% then the odds much more reflect the percentage odds of each dog winning. Also, before you start backing or laying make sure the back price is <= LTP. You will often see a gap of 3 ticks or more between the second best back price and the current best back price. If you are laying then this is the area you should be looking at for each dog in the race priced below 10. ;)
stu410

cybernet69 wrote:
marko236 wrote:Nice going cybernet, looks like your getting a really nice profit.

I would say trading dogs is harder than horse's due to volume.

Well done.
I personally think that Dogs is easier due to exploiting the price gaps on the first 3. No indicators, just fill the gaps. Also there are around 80 UK races per day. I only take a 1 tick offset/SL. The red ones so far today was due to my internet playing up. Its taken me a number of months to fully automate this although not with BA.
Dallas

I have just added a Greyhound bot to the shared files library that scalps gaps in the prices, feel free to download and have a play about.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11669
garwoodstud

I have had some success scalping UK greyhounds manually, my best results are when I accuratley select the dog that becomes the favourite. I have been using Racing Post tips but find their forcasted favouite can be completley wrong, is there a more reliable way of getting a likley fav in UK. I find in Australia Tatts Bet selections are more acurate at least for favouritism but volume is very low making it risky to trade.
cybernet69

garwoodstud wrote:I have had some success scalping UK greyhounds manually, my best results are when I accuratley select the dog that becomes the favourite. I have been using Racing Post tips but find their forcasted favouite can be completley wrong, is there a more reliable way of getting a likley fav in UK. I find in Australia Tatts Bet selections are more acurate at least for favouritism but volume is very low making it risky to trade.
The RP forecast is very accurate in terms of a dogs ability. But what normally happens is that on course bookmakers will adjust their odds when laying off if they have taken too much money for a particular dog. Which can screw the odds on the first 2 or 3 in the betting.
garwoodstud

Thanks for that, valuable information. This is a minefield.
bologna29

Excuse me please cybernet69, but can you please explain me how is possible to get a P/L column with all the amounts saved like you have them in "REAL MODE" not in SIMULATION MODE, because they are going to fix this bug in next version of software you're using?? :shock: :shock:
And especially on the GH markets is very BIG difference between practice mode and real mode, so?

Thx, cheers
PeterLe

bologna29 wrote:Excuse me please cybernet69, but can you please explain me how is possible to get a P/L column with all the amounts saved like you have them in "REAL MODE" not in SIMULATION MODE, because they are going to fix this bug in next version of software you're using?? :shock: :shock:
I asked the same question as to whether he was using this in simulation mode..
I tested the software concerned to replicate it..(its not as good as betangel by the way!)
I could only get the P/L col when in Simulation mode, not in live mode
bologna29

Yes true. Did he answer at all, because the results are more then different in both cases, I mean Simulation and Real mode...?
spreadbetting

PeterLe wrote:
I asked the same question as to whether he was using this in simulation mode..
I tested the software concerned to replicate it..(its not as good as betangel by the way!)
I could only get the P/L col when in Simulation mode, not in live mode
Probably explains why he swerved all requests to put up his Betfair pnl screenshots :)

Simulations will always assume you're at the head of the queue and matched, very rare the results wuld be duplicated in real life situations.
PeterLe

Hi SB,
In fairness, I think he (She?) isnt that far off (i was surprised to see a one tick offset working as well as it did.
It is possible that they have cracked it (i really do hope so, as they seem to have put a lot of effort into it)
Regards
Peter
spreadbetting

Fair enough Peter, I bot the greyhound markets myself so know how hard it can be to find something that pays it's way long term. I'm always a bit cynical at the best of times but usually more so when people are happy to give their hard work away for free, especially when they're happy to verify with some software but not via their Betfair account. But good luck to them it's not easy to make money on the greyhounds or even selling software I'd guess ;)

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”