Anyone read any good books?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
The dog of ry

If you could chart the confidence levels of Richmond's season ticket holders, it would look eerily similar... starts out high, finishes off low, year after year after year
Euler

I haven't read that book yet, but it looks interesting. But there are quite a few similar ones out there I've read over the years. The really interesting thing about a lot of these books is that the authors have opinions and judgements on the subject matter but none actually put it to use! It's rare to find a book where that is actually the case. It seems there is often a disconnected between intellectuals, opinions and actually doing it.

I was trying to solve a particularly hard problems and wheeled in an expert to help solve the problem. But he advised me not to do it. I told him that actually it was just the final piece of a puzzle, but he just wouldn't have it that I was going to put money on it. He swore blind it wouldn't work for a number of reasons, despite me showing him it was working. He just felt it was a 'lucky streak'.

Thinking, saying is one thing. Doing entirely another.
LeTiss

You could say that about every industry in life, Peter. I am a cynical sod, and I often wondered about the guy who taught me 'A' level Business Studies. His name was Mr Goffin, and he was a miserable sod, he hated his job, and hated arrogant teenagers. I often thought.....if he knew so much about Business, then why isn't he out there putting it to use, making his own money and not having to deal with the inflexible education system, and unappreciative 17 year-olds
Euler

Y, you see if everywhere.
Dallas

Euler wrote:I was trying to solve a particularly hard problems and wheeled in an expert to help solve the problem. But he advised me not to do it. I told him that actually it was just the final piece of a puzzle, but he just wouldn't have it that I was going to put money on it. He swore blind it wouldn't work for a number of reasons, despite me showing him it was working. He just felt it was a 'lucky streak'
You did nt wheel in 'thisisgambling' from last year did you :lol:
kodiac

Euler wrote:I haven't read that book yet, but it looks interesting. But there are quite a few similar ones out there I've read over the years. The really interesting thing about a lot of these books is that the authors have opinions and judgements on the subject matter but none actually put it to use! It's rare to find a book where that is actually the case. It seems there is often a disconnected between intellectuals, opinions and actually doing it.

I was trying to solve a particularly hard problems and wheeled in an expert to help solve the problem. But he advised me not to do it. I told him that actually it was just the final piece of a puzzle, but he just wouldn't have it that I was going to put money on it. He swore blind it wouldn't work for a number of reasons, despite me showing him it was working. He just felt it was a 'lucky streak'.

Thinking, saying is one thing. Doing entirely another.
Nassim taleb talks about this, using the character of fat tony the wall street trader, a guy who isnt academic but can trade, vs the ivy league elite who know all but are not profitable.
kodiac

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/085719495X/ ... T58VMND3TE

I agree on Kahnemann. Other useful reads are Maximum willpower (interesting bits on neurobiology of impulses), reminisences of a stock operator, getting things done, eat that frog.
rinconpaul

Nassim taleb talks about this, using the character of fat tony the wall street trader, a guy who isnt academic but can trade, vs the ivy league elite who know all but are not profitable
You're right there. A website exists in Australia called Matter of Stats. It is dedicated to Australian Rules Football predictions using the best statistical models available. Results?....well let's just say, "Stick to your day job!"

Reading that book does leave you with a healthy respect for genius though, but having a PhD in Maths, doesn't necessarily qualify, or give you any advantage over Joe Average. Average human intelligence can pick up on nuances that a bot could never. It might be as simple as noticing the poker player opposite you, scratches his left ear lobe when he's got a good hand? There's no substitute for good ideas, something a machine learning bot can't reproduce.
PeterLe

PeterLe wrote:This was recommended on another Blog:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Bet-Sc ... 8&qid=&sr=

Thought Id give it a try
Finished reading this last night.
The kindle showed that I had only completed 59% of the book and I was waiting for it to get interesting only to find that the remaining 41% was the contents pages and that I was at the end of book!
I dont want to sound like a know it all, but I really didnt find anything that I hadnt read before nor knew already.

I still think the best book on a similar theme is Fortunes Formula by Poundstone

Regards
Peter
marksmeets302

I still think the best book on a similar theme is Fortunes Formula by Poundstone
Loved that book! It's so full of knowledge, and very accessible.
megarain

Fiction .. nothing to do with gambling .. but, its a book.

Career of Evil .. J.K.Galbraith (Rowling) .. she said, it was the most enjoyable book, she has ever written.

It has quite a deep sexual theme, but, found it excellent.
smallplayer

didn't see this book mentioned..old school read but very relevant

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reminiscences- ... k+operator

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator is a 1923 roman à clef by American author Edwin Lefèvre which is the thinly disguised biography of Jesse Lauriston Livermore. The Wall Street Journal described the book as a "classic", it was ranked #15 on 'Fortune's 75 The Smartest Books We Know', and Alan Greenspan said it is "a font of investing wisdom.

“It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight! It is no trick at all to be right on the market. You always find lots of early bulls in bull markets and early bears in bear markets. I've known many men who were right at exactly the right time, and began buying or selling stocks when prices were at the very level which should show the greatest profit. And their experience invariably matched mine--that is, they made no real money out of it. Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon.” --- Edwin Lefèvre
JayBee

Buchdahl's Squares & Sharps, Suckers & Sharks is very good. You will probably chuck out the rest of your library after reading it.
Sarahneaves

I like reading. I decide to read a historic book. Who can give me some good suggestions. :) ;)
Sarahneaves

Pride and prejudice :)

Return to “Chill Out Area”