Using Automation Signals

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
Dallas

Setting a Signal
On the "General Tab" you will see two new rule types, the first is

"Set / Modify a Signal Only"
This will allow you to set/modify/clear a signal when your selected conditions have been met but without any other action being performed, ie set a signal name and value when the odds of the 2nd fav trade below 3.0

(Alternatively you can choose to set a signal each time an existing rule type you might be using is triggered, ie when a back bet is triggered it sets a unique signal name with a value or when a green all selections rule triggers that sets its own unique signal name and value - to set a signal in this way see 'Signal' tab in next post).

A signal can be set for either an individual selection or the whole market.

The 2nd new rule type you will see is

"Clear all Signals from Market and Selections"
This allows you to quickly clear all signals currently set regardless of their name and value for the whole market.

*if you have set multiple signals with different names and values and wish to clear only signals with a certain name or value from either a selection or the market then you can use "Set / Modify a Signal Only" to perform this type of task.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

Signal Tab

The rules editor now has a new "Signal" Tab where you can choose the action (task) of signal you want to set for a single selection or the market, this is also where you name and assign any values for that signal if applicable. This is optional, there is no obligation to use signals on any rules; only use them were they add value to your Automation.
Below is a brief description of the Signal Actions you can use.

Set Signal
Allows you give the signal a unique name and value (any name & value can be used which allows you to set unlimited amount of signals)
For example: if you had two separate back rules one placing £5 bets the other placing £10 bets and wanted to set a signal each time one is triggered you could name the signal for the £5 bets "back5" and the signal for £10 bets "back10"

Clear signal
Used if you wanted to clear a named signal.

Clear all Signals for Selection / Market
Used to clear all named signals currently set on the selection or market.

Increment Signal Value
When this action is triggered, the value of the named signal is increased by 1. If the signal had not previously been set, then it will be initialised with the value of 1 the first time this action is triggered. This is useful as a counter on the selection (or the market as a whole).
For example: If you named a signal "back" and used Increment signal value the first time it triggered the signal “back” would have the value of 1, the next time it would change to a value of 2, then 3 and so on...

Decrement Signal Value
This works the same way as above except each time a signal is set the value is decreased by -1. If the signal had not previously been set, then it will be initialised with the value of -1 the first time this action is triggered.

NB. At the bottom of the tab you will see "Note signal changes in the market log" it is advisable to always have this ticked when setting up any rule as it will make it very easy to see if a specific signal is performing correctly or not from the information in your log
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

Conditions

The conditions list now contains three new conditions which will test/check if a Signal name and value has or has NOT been set before allowing the rule to trigger.

Signal Set Condition
Will check to see if a signal name has or has NOT been set with a value (of any number). Note: When a signal is cleared, it is then considered to be NOT set.

Signal Value Condition
This condition is to check if the value of the named signal is less than, greater than or equal to a specified value.

Signal Changed condition
This condition will check to see if the value of the named signal has changed during the specified time period. Note: The creation of a signal will be considered as a ‘change’. When a signal is cleared, the time it was last changed is also cleared; it is reset to a state as if the named signal had never existed.
Dallas

Tips

The name of the signal set must match exactly what you enter in the conditions area so always using lower or upper case reduces the risk of simple mistakes like setting a signal name as "Odds" and having a condition look for a signal named "odds".

Although you can set a signal using any name and value, we recommend that you use a name that relates to the purpose of the signal as it makes things easier to track when viewing the log file - if you were setting a signal each time a "green all selections" rule was triggered and was in profit using a name like "green+" or "gas+" will help you identify immediately what it relates to.

When creating or modifying any rule always have the "Note signal changes in market log" ticked so you can refer to the log to ensure that a signal is working correctly.

When first using signalling start off simple and by adding them into existing rules while you familiarise yourself with the various options - building an over complex system full of numerous signals and values just for the sake of it may result in some or all of it not working correctly simply due to a basic conflict which will be hard to locate. Consider mapping out your rules and signals on paper before implementing them – it’ll help visualise the logic and the most efficient way to use the signals to add the extra control you require.

To help users get started with using Signals a number of example automation files have been added to the shared files library, the opening post of this thread contains links to all those files which use Signals
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11238
timbillington

Just browsing through and wanted to say "thank you" to Dallas for this post and his great posts in general.

It's brilliant to see such a great contribution in such a forum.

I know that others thank you along the way, but wanted to add to that.

Cheers.

Tim
oakseylad

Hi, I would like to utilise an automation bot in the over 2.5 goal markets, which would place a back bet at set odds-only if an early goal is scored (within 20 min) and then green up following a second goal provided that around 50% of liability is achieved.
As a newbie I was hoping to adapt the o/u signal automation file kindly submitted by Dallas in 2015, but the newer version will not upload it-presumably because automation signalling revision was a major aspect for the upgrade.
I know I'm lazy but would be very grateful for any suggestions or hints on automation files for the latest BA version that I could play around with to test this strategy.

A tall order...?

Regards
Dallas

If you pop any questions about automation files (including replies to this) onto the end of the thread it relates to it makes it easier for myself or someone else to answer better.

Also all the rules avalible in the shared files library will work in the latest version of BA V1.44 so if your running that version they should import and work ok
shakespeare

Signals can also be used to send messages to yourself. Every automation I write opens with a step called "Identify". This does nothing except set a signal and output it to the log. The name of the signal is always the name of the automation file I am running. That way when I look at the logs later on, I know which automation I was running against that particular market.
vladilyich

Is it possible for somebody to do a video regarding these signals as I don't have the foggiest what they mean when explained in writing?
Dallas

vladilyich wrote:Is it possible for somebody to do a video regarding these signals as I don't have the foggiest what they mean when explained in writing?
This thread might help a little more untill a video is done which shows signals being used step by step on the well known Lay the field rule
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11943
r00ster76

Hi Dallas,
Thanks for sharing your wealth of experience and knowledge with us..It is very much appreciated.
I'm finding the whole 'signals' thing a tad confusing so I wonder if you could guide me on an automation rule I want to try.
Basically I want to lay the favourite when it reaches 15.0 in play with an offset of 2 ticks..Would I need signals to achieve this?
I appreciate you are very busy and this may seem a silly question, but many thanks in advance... :D
Dallas

r00ster76 wrote:Hi Dallas,
Thanks for sharing your wealth of experience and knowledge with us..It is very much appreciated.
I'm finding the whole 'signals' thing a tad confusing so I wonder if you could guide me on an automation rule I want to try.
Basically I want to lay the favourite when it reaches 15.0 in play with an offset of 2 ticks..Would I need signals to achieve this?
I appreciate you are very busy and this may seem a silly question, but many thanks in advance... :D
No question is ever silly if you dont know the answer ;)

I assume you mean the lay the runner that was fav at the off time? (the fav and order of favourtism is always defined as the selection with the shortest odds so in-running as the prices move around several runners could become fav for a short period of time)

If it is the fav from the start of the race to achieve this you wont need to use need to use signals (they could be used if you wanted to), but instead the easiest way to set it up would be as follows;

Rule type; Fix order of market Selections
Relative to event start time
Armed 00:00:01 before start
till 00:00:10 after event start
Trigger 1 time

(that will remember the order of favourtism as they are now for the remainer of the race no matter how there odds change once in play).

next add your lay rule by clicking the green 'plus' icon

Rule Type; Place lay bet
Relative to in-play time
Armed 00:00:01 after in-play
till 00:10:00 after in play
Trigger 1 time
Applied to 'Betfair order of favourtism 1'

Paramters
'Place at' 15.0
and set the stakes required
Offset bet with greening 2 ticks
Batches 1
Fill or kill 60secs (this bit will ensure the back bet is only placed after lay is matched - if lay is unmatched then no back will be placed)

Condtions
'Fixed odds Condtion'
Last Traded price
Is 'Greater' than 14.5

And that will do it, any probs just post a message (but as this rule now does nt contain signals if you could open a new thread that would avoid taking this one off the subject of signals thx :) )
Laugro1968

Hi Dallas,

Do signals extend to other markets?
Can I use a signal on the Win market and use it on the Place market?

Thank you,

Laurent
Dallas

Laugro1968 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:35 pm
Hi Dallas,

Do signals extend to other markets?
Can I use a signal on the Win market and use it on the Place market?

Thank you,

Laurent
No, none of the automation options avaliable can look across other markets, this can only be done using excel
Laugro1968

Hello Dallas,

Thank you for your reply. It's working in Excel indeed.
One more questions:
In an IR automation I'm running, my back bet at best available price is not always matched below 2.
Would it have more chances of getting match by placing a back at 1.01 instead?
Is there a difference between both instructions (applying identical conditions)?

Best regards,

Laurent

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”