Faster Pics Anyone?

The sport of kings.
HorseRacer

I read a lot about people with faster pics at home. Anyone able to point me to where I can get them?

Are there any online streams available faster than standard RacingUK?

Much appreciated!
Bluesky

Hopefully some of the experts will answer this, but from what I have read there is no longer an advantage to be had doing this that there once was. Even for people at the track side, its nothing like as lucrative as in the past. I'm not sure why, hopefully someone will post to explain the reasons and enlighten us both.
HorseRacer

Thanks BlueSky

Yes I think the margins are definitely slim now however from what I've heard there is still significant edge to be had.

There does seem to be a split in opinion though so if any experts can advise that'd be great!

Also I think with the switch to HD broadcasting some potential edge may have been re-introdruced, for example a lot of people betting with Racing UK just got a lot slower this year.

Looking forward to any advice or direction on this, thanks.
aperson

I believe RUKHD is as close to real time as it was in standard def. It certainly hasn't added in the 3-4 second delay of other HD channels. I guess they have invested in the tech knowing some of their customer trade in play using them.
Dallas

The fastest pics are usually the streams from Betfair/Betdaq/Bet365 etc, these are usually a few seconds ahead of satellite TV.

The only other way to get faster pictures away from the course is with a SIS feed like bookies and trading rooms use
Bluesky

Dallas wrote: The only other way to get faster pictures away from the course is with a SIS feed like bookies and trading rooms use
I have read somewhere (could have been on this forum but I read a lot of stuff on line related to horse racing), so I can't be sure where. That quite a few horse racing trading rooms started to open up in various places around the country a few years back. The selling point of them was that they had really fast pictures, and they would also provide training related to in running trading.

I believe that most of these rooms have now closed, I think there might still be one in Cardiff but I'm not absolutely sure. I am wondering why they all closed, my guess would be that the really quick pics which at one time gave traders an advantage stopped giving such an advantage. I am not sure why, perhaps with the advent of automation being more accessible to people without high level programming skills might be one reason, but I don't really know.
Dallas

They did become popular for a while and then yes have since slowly started to demise, can t be 100% sure why but imo would suspect that any edge they thought they had from the faster pics they soon relised where still being beaten by the on course guys.
So they needed another edge or go to the course themseleves
mklim_irlpl

By the way, did you try to trade in-play by the course from smartphone/tablet etc?
Dallas

mklim_irlpl wrote:By the way, did you try to trade in-play by the course from smartphone/tablet etc?
Not sure who your asking there, if its to a specfic poster if you use the 'quote' button it easier for others to see what its in response to
mklim_irlpl

...still being beaten by the on course guys.
You mentioned on course traders. I bet it's lucrative to be ahead of video stream.

In tennis at big events i can see positions being canceled a way ahead of the results available on betfair video.
eddy4005

Hi i just came across your querry into faster pics and video pictures, i will tell you my story.
When i first started on BF and using bet angel i didnt know anything about markets ,trading ,etc. but i new that the people betting in play must be miles in front of me.
I thought the only way to compete was to go to the races sit on the winning line and mahybe i would be able to get an edge.
oh how wrong can one be, there i was at ascot waiting and watching what came around the corner first, only to look at my computer screen to find race after race the winning horse was nearly always at 1.01, i pondered for months on how they could do this.
I now have my own idea and believe me having faster feeds to live TV will not help, you might get lucky on a few occasions, but the inplay computer will beat you most times.
Bluesky

That's very interesting eddy4005, I imagine that at one time this type of thing was very lucrative but as time went by and more people started doing it, the market inefficiencies became smaller and smaller. I should think some people still make a good living either track siding or with fast pics but I am sure its a lot more difficult than it used to be.

Its like most markets if you can get in at the start of something (either a new market starting or new technology changing an existing market) then its not that difficult to make money because the market inefficiencies can be quite large. As time moves on however these inefficiencies tighten up and you either need to adapt or move on to another market or system.

Have you tried it at any other race course, I don't know but perhaps it might work better at a less well known course?
iambic_pentameter

I'd also suggest that a large part of being a successful in-play trader, is having excellent race reading skills.

I know of one in play trader who says that his method is really quite simple; he just watches replay after replay of races, making notes on horses that are of interest.

I'd imagine if you spent a whole year watching replays of the races, you'd have another slight edge.

There was an article on the Racing Post a while back about in running guys that trade from the course - can't find it online - but said it's not as fun as it's cracked up to be - lugging a PC, TV etc round the country each day, being with the same people day in day out etc and, of course, the cost of being there.
HorseRacer

Thanks for the responses,

aperson: Yes RUK when in standard definition was ~2 seconds behind the live action and now that they have a HD option, both channels seem to have lost about 0.5 seconds.

From what I've read in numerous places the answer is as Dallas says,
Dallas wrote:The fastest pics are usually the streams from Betfair/Betdaq/Bet365 etc, these are usually a few seconds ahead of satellite TV.

The only other way to get faster pictures away from the course is with a SIS feed like bookies and trading rooms use

So my next thought is, does anyone stream their SIS feed? Is there another way to access SIS feeds with a satellite dish, I read somewhere of people selling encryption codes to the streams?

Any info much appreciated.
iambic_pentameter

Hi HorseRacer

As I'm such a jolly nice chap and keen to help other forum members, I contacted SIS to see what they charge for live pics and get the following response:

"In relation to your question below, our satellite pictures are not suitable to be used for in running purposes.

Currently we don’t provide an IP solution for a non LBO (Licenced betting office)

If you have any further questions please let me know"

That struck me as odd, as I thought SIS was available to non LBOs - albeit with a hefty price tag.

In terms of getting a live feed elsewhere, I've read on these forums that to avoid going down that route - apparently there are a lot of scammers out there.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”