Optane Memory

sionascaig

Looking at buying a new PC & came across an "Optane Memory" Option...

"Intel® Optane™ memory is a radically innovative technology that makes your computer work more efficiently. By personalizing the programs and commands you use most, Intel® Optane™ memory is a smart, adaptable system accelerator for your new 7th Gen Intel® Core™ processor-based computer. It provides uncompromising system responsiveness for mega storage drives so you can launch faster, play smoother, and work with ease."

This is a new one on me & just wondered if anyone can recommend (or not)?

Its about £45 for 16GB & £70 for 32GB
walesgirl

hi, to be honest it all depends on what hard drives you will use in your new computer, if you are going to have ssd drives then the optane memory will be of little use, it has been developed to enhance normal drives. found an interesting short review here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka1mfkJOOsw
Hobsom

I agree with walesgirl.

In addition, if you're looking for the fastest possible 7th Gen Intel system, I would recommend acquiring a motherboard with twin M.2 slots and install two Samsung 960 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD drives, or, if finances are a factor, two cheaper high performance SSD's.
Using a single M.2 slot motherboard and then using the only available M.2 slot for a small Optane drive would not be the best use of a motherboard's speed potential IMHO.
Also, you are restricted to using certain motherboards with Optane compatibility if you want to get the most out of it.

The speed differences between the Samsung and Intel Optane SSD's are reasonably significant, and, if you installed your O/S on one drive and ran your applications from the other, then it'd run much faster than any system with an Optane based SSD and a mechanical secondary hard drive.

There are a number of SSD benchmark sites that may help you choose the best price/performance options for your budget.

Hope this info was useful.
ShaunWhite

You won't be able to tell the difference. The performance improvement will be measured in nanoseconds. Maybe it's useful if you're searching for new prime numbers 24/7 but for any 'normal' use it's just hype.
sionascaig

Thanks all for this - think you just saved me a few pounds )

Return to “Technology”