Match-fixing is Still a Big Issue in Tennis

Euler

LeTiss

The Dolgopolov match is majorly suspicious. However, I'd be astonished if a player of his standing got involved with shit like that - he has won over £6M in his career, why would he destroy his reputation and everything he has worked for?

Unless of course, he is being threatened or blackmailed by some unsavoury individuals. This may hold some water, as the other match highlighted here was the one involving another Ukranian, Bondarenko. I'm wondering whether their lives have been threatened by the Russian Mafia?
stueytrader

I wonder whether fixing in tennis is trader-neutral or trader-negative? The argument for neutral would be that sometimes it would favour your trading position (as well as sometimes go against it).

Would you agree or disagree?
THENUTS

"Anyway, only a few noticed that a couple of hours before the Dolgopolov match, something weird happened in a WTA match in New Haven: Ukrainian Kateryna Bondarenko was playing her last round qualifying match and bookmakers rated her the slight favourite against Ana Bogdan. As soon as the match started, you could notice abnormal betting patterns on every bookmaker, especially Bet365 and Betfair–where Bondarenko, after four games played and with the score at 2-2, was priced 3.5 (instead of about 2 that you would have expected). She went on to lose the match 6-2 6-2."

I traded that match. I laid Bogdan and noticed very quickly that it was a fix. It was a very low volume match with low hundreds being the norm for prices requested. Several £10k + bets came into the market wanting to back Bogdan in the first couple of games at well below evs - big red flag and i exited. Absolute as clear as you could ever be fix.

Not sure why the relevant authorities dont just look at the Betfair betting patterns for clear indisputable proof

Return to “Tennis Trading”