Trading Superstitions??

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
breakbacktennis

For a bit of fun (this topic probably already exists) what, if any, trading habits/superstitions do people have :?: Would be interesting to hear of any funny quirks people have when trading. I seem to always have a blank google tab open that covers a third of my screen for no reason what so ever during a tennis match :P
to75ne

i dont like it if 13 is involved.

i will deliberately not take a red or green with 13 involved, pounds or pence. i have in the past deliberately sabotaged myself and have taken a big red instead of taking a decent green because the number thirteen was involved.

even typing this makes me very uneasy. triskaidekaphobia can be a real pain. :(
breakbacktennis

I like it!!!!.... I seem to have that trouble with scratching a trade. I hate to take a £0.00 result. I would prefer the 1p loss just so my spreadsheet doesnt have a melt down :)
stueytrader

to75ne wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 pm
i dont like it if 13 is involved.

i will deliberately not take a red or green with 13 involved, pounds or pence. i have in the past deliberately sabotaged myself and have taken a big red instead of taking a decent green because the number thirteen was involved.

even typing this makes me very uneasy. triskaidekaphobia can be a real pain. :(
Would that extend, I presume, to also never backing (laying?) at 13.0?

I've often wondered about that price for this reason...
Euler

If I ever look at my P&L during a session that is going well I seem to curse the session. So I never look at my full P&L until I've finished trading.
ShaunWhite

At the start of every day I totally clear my desk, clean it, and then put just my keyboard, mouse, phone, coaster, ashtray, notepad & pen in very specific places. It's not OCD because my workshop looks like an explosion in a scarpyard and somehow that's fine, go figure.
marksmeets302

I have three watches. I wear one until I get a bad day, then switch to the next. Otherwise the next day would be bad as well.
LeTiss

Just what I thought.........this place is full of nutters
workpeter

My bots always seem to work better when I'm not observing or interacting with them.
breakbacktennis

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:01 pm
:lol: i wont mention the amount of headphones iv chewed up
ruthlessimon

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:01 pm
who's got the skulls & crystal balls on their desks, own up!!

Euler

workpeter wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 pm
My bots always seem to work better when I'm not observing or interacting with them.
We have a saying in the office that you quantum lock automation if you observe it.
oscar123

I used to be funny about the number 13 too, though after the horse Triskaidekaphobia won for me a couple of times at Wolverhampton I got over that.

Now I don't like it when I see the number 666, either on the grid, or in my pnl, I always see it as a bad sign. Hopefully somebody will have a horse soon called Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia, so I can get over that one too.

I remember one day when I had been losing and chasing I checked my pnl at the end of the day to see what the damage was and it was bang on minus £666. That was quite spooky.

In all seriousness though, i realised that it is probably best not to have any number superstitions when trading, as if you are staring at ladders and grids all day, chances are you are going to see your favourite or least favourite numbers hundreds if not thousands of times a day.
oscar123

I also have a tendency where if a trade is going well I will leave the room. This is partly to try and let profits run and remove all temptation to cut out too early, though also in part superstition as I think the market won't move the way I want it to if I'm watching!

This is also a stupid thing to do, as I could be missing something really important, but I often do it.

I also only made this post because I didn't want to leave my post count on 400. Prefer 401.
Euler

What's going to happen when you get to 404?

Return to “Chill Out Area”