The Difference Between Open-Minded and Close-Minded People

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Euler

I'd broadly agree with that. But the funny thing is if you do that people often accuse you of not giving them anything specific. When in fact you are giving the detail they really need. People often just like you to say do this and this will happen, but of course, there are no shortcuts. But people seem to love that. This is why a lot of people get away with murder because they can show a high strike rate but ultimately get roasted, but can claim 'bad luck' when that happens.

I think it goes back to that video I posted earlier on the thread. People vigorously defend their position based on their biases so even if you have perfect information, people don't take it as it may not conform to their worldview.
LeTiss

This has gone off on a tangent.

My responses were to the original article, as it was suggesting you need to remain open-minded at all times to be successful at what you do. I have had so many people raise their eyebrows and turn their nose up when I tell them what I do. If I had listened to everbody, I'd still be sat on the M3 worried about reaching my next presentation on time. Sometimes, you just have to believe in yourself and believe in what you are doing, and just switch off from what others are saying, as their negativity simply drags you down.
Korattt

Euler wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:14 pm
Why is it that some people seem to make constant progress in their professional and personal lives, while others appear to be doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over?

.. find a quiet place and reflect on what’s going on at a deeper level.
if only, I'd die for a quiet place to do this
Korattt

ei.png
if you & several other people you know asked questions to someone only to never to get an answer.. I would consider them to be closed minded.. as to why they never answered?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iron

Korattt wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 am
if you & several other people you know asked questions to someone only to never to get an answer.. I would consider them to be closed minded.. as to why they never answered?
I wouldn't consider them closed minded.

There are valid reasons why someone won't answer a question (such as not wanting to divulge an edge).

I would consider - as I do with evasive politicians - whether I can read anything into the non-answer.

Jeff

Return to “Trading Psychology”