Trading Greyhound racing

We've gone to the dogs.
spreadbetting

Ferru123 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:33 pm
I think having a reviews site on the Betfair website where verified course attendees/system buyers could give feedback and provide ratings would be the best way forward.

That would tell me far more about what I would be getting for my money than would the trader's lifetime earnings.

Jeff
Surprisingly I'd have to agree with Jeff, just because someone's made a few quid doesn't mean they'd be able to teach you how to do it. Just about every website selling anything has some kind of ebay verified sales feedback these days. Screenshots and videos are easy enough to fake, especially for any of us making our own bots, genuine feedback from verified buyers on the Betfair website might not be as easy to fake.

As for people posting 'possibly' faked pnl screenshots on here, as long as they're not touting systems or selling via PM, I'm not sure it makes any real difference, personally I find it amusing when someone's been making pennies then comes along a month later making thousands :)
ZeroCounty

I believe a user rating system with feedback help others to decide whether the data provided is reliable or not. In terms of mass rating when averaged, it tends to give a more accurate prediction. Of course more the participants more accurate the results will be.
Euler

You would need to verify the rating though as competitors WILL try and trash others. When Betfair introduced a rating system for apps people started downvoting competitors. The industry has a veritable smorgasbord of fake review sites designed purely to dupe you into buying silly systems. Much better to cut it off at the source.
Gonzothegreat

After a few weeks of not trading the dogs (life got in the way... lol), I tried my new bot (huge work in progress and nothing fancy at all !!!!).
I was doing well, 1p here, 2p here and got to 6p. Happy until the bot fired up a trade against a high odd dog. Lost £7.10 in one trade... ouch that hurts. Lost a few usual trades 20p here and 48p over there.

As for the recent discussions lately in this thread, I do not believe in showing off your amazing results (real of fake) is helping anyone. It is hard enough for a newbie like me to learn how to trade.
I can understand that a real successful trader will never share their inner trade secrets, but I believe in helping others by putting them in the right track. I do believe in teach a man how to fish...
There is a big difference in asking someone to hand over their hard work for "free" (regardless on how long it took you to setup your bot) and asking the same person for a pointer, a hint, something to start off.
Halliday

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:03 pm
tweaking my greyhound bot again

dog.JPG
Never been a great fan of people posting their P/L, but can understand it might help motivate some,but unfortunately posters like Mephis have probably made them of no use in that respect.
I just find it rather sad that he continues with his delusions and untruths,as if you pick the bones out of some of his posts,it does show the potential of trading Greyhound markets.

So yes as Peter said it has made people look at trading greyhounds,but that doesnt negate being dishonest,and it does impact on those posting genuine P/L and our perceptions.

Anyway back to the delights of Chepstow and Hexham(and the one eyed Wazowski)
LeTiss

Yeah I agree with that. I can understand why Peter Webb would show P+L figures, as ultimately he wants people to see the benefit of trading, so he can flog his product. It's a bit like a guy selling burglar alarms, and part of his sales pitch is to show photos of burgled houses first.

However, if you're not selling a product, why would you show P+L to anybody else?
It either means they are bullshitters, or they are insecure and want to enter into a dick swinging contest
Iron

+1

I think that, if a newbie has a really good day and feels they are making progress, and posts, 'I've made 50p today using £2 stakes, which is my highest total yet. Buzzing!', that's fine.

But, yeah, to post that you've made £500 in an afternoon when most people have to work bloody hard to make that much money is a bit crass.

Jeff
LeTiss wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:25 pm
Yeah I agree with that. I can understand why Peter Webb would show P+L figures, as ultimately he wants people to see the benefit of trading, so he can flog his product. It's a bit like a guy selling burglar alarms, and part of his sales pitch is to show photos of burgled houses first.

However, if you're not selling a product, why would you show P+L to anybody else?
It either means they are bullshitters, or they are insecure and want to enter into a dick swinging contest
Emmson

Wrong! I posted 2 videos of cricket games that were still in play to demonstrate how it could be done in a believable way.
mcgoo

I seem to be on a posting fizz (not quite a frenzy) this evening. :geek:
Results (if genuine) showing profit from automated bots are personally of interest to me because 1. You want to trust in the product and know its possible 2. Someone out there is smart enough to do it which is encouragement 3. Its definitely possible(again) as it is easy to think it is not.We are all in this together so one hopes for a strong integrity/sincerity gene- Life is hard enough otherwise :D
Iron

mcgoo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:15 am
We are all in this together.
Not saying you're wrong, but don't forget that, in the market, your fellow forum members wish to divest you of your money. :)

Jeff
mcgoo

Ferru123 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:48 am
mcgoo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:15 am
We are all in this together.
Not saying you're wrong, but don't forget that, in the market, your fellow forum members wish to divest you of your money. :)

Jeff
Appreciated :D .Detail for another time and place perhaps- but I guess I am influenced by a once in a generation martial arts man who can do seemingly magical things, who says most of what we do ...that counts ...is for each other(the advice from you is perhaps another proof of that ;) :D ) ...and there is enough to go round.After 10+ years I am starting to believe him....
Last edited by mcgoo on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeTiss

Yes I've always held that rather cynical, yet realisitic attitude, Jeff

We are all circulating money here, and it's impossible for everybody to succeed at trading, as there needs to be losers for the winners to profit. If Peter Webb makes £1000 today, he hasn't taken a penny from Betfair - all that money has come from other Betfair users, a number of them are probably his own customers
to75ne

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 am
Yes I've always held that rather cynical, yet realisitic attitude, Jeff

We are all circulating money here, and it's impossible for everybody to succeed at trading, as there needs to be losers for the winners to profit.
Amen.
Euler

I'd imagine the best educated Betfair users with the best tools will win against all others in the same market but also against punters and price insensitive exchange users. So it's probably not a zero-sum game for that bunch. I doubt I win that much from Bet Angel users as they are using the same tool as me.
Iron

A tool is only as useful as the person holding it is skillful.

If I remember correctly, you once described yourself as being better than 99.9% of people who have ever traded the exchanges.

Surely it therefore follows that BA users of average skill are likely to lose money to you.

Jeff
Euler wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:19 pm
I doubt I win that much from Bet Angel users as they are using the same tool as me.

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”