Betfair slow

T20, IPL, Test matches or the Ashes, discuss it here.
buyshirts

Is anybody else experiencing Betfair running slow in the morning?
Euler

Guess that's a no. I often reboot my machine between sessions if it 'feels' slow
Naffman

This morning I did and sometimes cancelling bets (with and without streaming) wouldn't work.
ShaunWhite

What Euler said is good idea.
DLM (Dynamic Line Mangement) will reduce the connection speed if there are errors on the line, what it's not good at is ramping the speed back up again when the error rate reduces. To do this you'll need to reboot the router too. ISP's will have you think that you shouldn't do this as the connection will return to a default speed and you'll lose the 'tuning' it's done but in practice I've never found that a reboot makes things worse.
Kafkaesque

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:40 pm
What Euler said is good idea.
DLM (Dynamic Line Mangement) will reduce the connection speed if there are errors on the line, what it's not good at is ramping the speed back up again when the error rate reduces. To do this you'll need to reboot the router too. ISP's will have you think that you shouldn't do this as the connection will return to a default speed and you'll lose the 'tuning' it's done but in practice I've never found that a reboot makes things worse.
Weird one, as here in Denmark one of the default suggestions from ISPs, if you feel your connection is running slow, is to reboot the router.

I'll take your statement one further, and say I've never found rebooting the router making things worse, but often times in fact better......which may well be what you're saying between the lines, when I think about it while writing this :)
Derek27

I reboot my PCs if I have any speed problems but by Virgin Media router takes a good five minutes at least to reboot. Although I have a tablet and mobile connection for backup it's still not ideal.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 pm
I reboot my PCs if I have any speed problems but by Virgin Media router takes a good five minutes at least to reboot. Although I have a tablet and mobile connection for backup it's still not ideal.
5 mins? That's ages but probably not much longer than it takes to make a brew.

The other thing to look for if you get sudden slowdowns is background processes like virus definition updates, scheduled backups etc.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:16 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 pm
5 mins? That's ages but probably not much longer than it takes to make a brew.

The other thing to look for if you get sudden slowdowns is background processes like virus definition updates, scheduled backups etc.
What I was really referring to is needing to reboot in the middle of trading, a few minutes before a race.

At the moment I use two computers. The older one, despite being stripped of all unnecessary software including virus software, struggles to cope with multiple Firefox windows (consumes huge amounts of memory) and needs rebooting when it slows down. My dual core laptop works like a dream and never needs rebooting. I think dual/quad core processors make a big difference.
LeTiss

I have BT broadband, and it's shit. I think BT have spent too much time & money on BT Sport, and have neglected the core aspect of their business. I use a PC and a laptop, and somedays I even get a timeout error when trying to log into BA due to to my internet connection being so crap
ShaunWhite

It really seems to depend on where you are, I've used BT Broadband since 2000, first in Croydon, then Cheltenham and now in Lincs, and to be fair to them it's been almost flawless for the entire 17 years.

Return to “Betfair Cricket trading”