Can Excel pick up signals from Guardian?

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
sriel1

Hi everyone

I would have thought this was pretty easy to do given how Excel can integrate with Guardian automation. However I'm unable to find if Excel can be programmed to receive an in-play signal from Guardian?

For example, back a horse only when the signal called "PLACE" has been set:

=IF(signal for market = "PLACE", "BACK")

Is this anywhere near possible or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Thanks
ShaunWhite

sriel1 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:40 am
Hi everyone

I would have thought this was pretty easy to do given how Excel can integrate with Guardian automation. However I'm unable to find if Excel can be programmed to receive an in-play signal from Guardian?

For example, back a horse only when the signal called "PLACE" has been set:

=IF(signal for market = "PLACE", "BACK")

Is this anywhere near possible or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Thanks
It can't.
And if it did that logic wouldn't have worked. You want to set a signal named 'PLACE" but in your line of code you test if something called 'signal for market' contains 'PLACE'. If you're starting using Guardian or Excel keep an eye on what's a variable and what's a value of a variable.
sriel1

Okay I see, so Excel would need to import the signal as a variable then be able to read the value of that signal? Is there a way that VBA can import the signals into Excel?

I currently have Excel triggered to back a horse if it's price drifts. I also have a signal in Guardian to trigger at the half-way point (calculated from average times of race distance). I really want both of them to work together, so if I can't send a signal from Guardian to Excel, is there a way to get Excel to extract the race distance? The only place I can see the race distance is in the race description (not easy to pick it out from there).

I would also need to set a delay from the time the race starts, would that be done by setting a timer starting when the value of G2 changes to INPLAY?

Thanks for your help.
ShaunWhite

It's not possible to transfer signals from Guardian to Excel.
If you are already using Excel then I would try and recreate your Guardian signal in there. It's not ideal but you'll have the control you need and hopefully it will be time well spent.

Fortunately the market name is always(?) in the same format so you can break it up quite easily to get the race distance length, but then you'll need to convert the miles/furlongs to furlongs.

If you use the Split function to create an array, the elements are as follows if I remember right.

Code: Select all

Market = Split(BFMarket)
            Place = Market(0)
	    Day = Market(1)
            Month = Market(2)
	    'Dash sign' = Market(3)
            Time = Market(4)
            Distance = Market(5)
            Race type = Market(6) & Market(7) & Market(8) & Market(9)

sriel1

The split function sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. However I'm not sure how I would set it up. Here are 2 race descriptions from today's spreadsheet:

Ayr 2nd Jan - 19:30 2m4f Mdn Hrd
Newc 2nd Jan - 22:35 1m4f Hcap

Can I split this race description into an array or are there race elements in the excel spreadsheet that are not visible? You mentioned Market(5) in your array as the race distance, can I extract that directly from the spreadsheet?

Thanks

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”