Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
ShaunWhite

PeterLe wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:21 pm
Euler wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:23 pm
Hope Koratt wont mind me saying, but he has struggled with the emotional side of it. Trading is a right old rollercoaster and it can mess with your mind.
Just a thought; I also nearly threw the towel in 9 years or so ago as I couldn’t master manual trading. I decided to try automation ( then excel) and never looked back. It surpassed my wildest expectations, truly
However if Korratt decides to give it a try, there is still an amount of emotion involved , but to a lesser extent. Some days (Boxing Day) are fantastic, some days (today, for example) hardly a bet fired in. Patience is a great attribute to have.
Worth a look ?
Do you mind me asking roughly how many bots you have in your arsenal? I assume you choose just one or two for any given sport/scenario.
And are you a find it in the data first kind of guy, or start with a hunch and keep tweaking.
Euler

Shaun, I run a load of small bots in the background on top of my manual trading. I'll often discover odd little things that are not worth pursuing manually so I'll automate them. Or sometimes I'll just throw a strategy out there to learn something more about the market. You may only yield small amounts per market but you can obviously scale up.
PeterLe

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:11 am
PeterLe wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:21 pm
Euler wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:23 pm
Hope Koratt wont mind me saying, but he has struggled with the emotional side of it. Trading is a right old rollercoaster and it can mess with your mind.
Just a thought; I also nearly threw the towel in 9 years or so ago as I couldn’t master manual trading. I decided to try automation ( then excel) and never looked back. It surpassed my wildest expectations, truly
However if Korratt decides to give it a try, there is still an amount of emotion involved , but to a lesser extent. Some days (Boxing Day) are fantastic, some days (today, for example) hardly a bet fired in. Patience is a great attribute to have.
Worth a look ?
Do you mind me asking roughly how many bots you have in your arsenal? I assume you choose just one or two for any given sport/scenario.
And are you a find it in the data first kind of guy, or start with a hunch and keep tweaking.
Morning Shaun,
I probably have less than 12 Bots (All Horse Racing), although of those I mainly run a single BOT on a number of accounts, but sightly different entry and exit points. This single BOT is the one that has created the biggest proportion on the overall P&L over the years.
I started the main BOT on a hunch (an educated guess Id like to say!). I have tried analysing data (Thanks to Xitan), but, I found it just wasnt for me and I was creating patterns that didnt exist, so I stuck to what I knew worked. That's not to say that analysing data doesnt work as I know one individual who is going very well doing this, but you have to be prepared for big up's and down's.
If it helps; what I would say is that where possible try to limit the trigger criteria to as simple as possible. (Google conjunction fallacy). Eg if you are betting on say, the number of runners and the course, this will trigger more often that if you use the former PLUS the back book percentage etc...so there will always be some element of tweaking, but keep it as simple as possible (google Occams Razor).
My original thoughts to Korratt was - You,ve tried manual and it didnt work, perhaps time to forget it and try something else? Start slowly and be patient.
Regards
Peter
dragontrades

I am so jealous of people who make money from automation
Do you mind if i ask a few questions

Do you leave the PC all day or do you monitor the bots?
Is your main bot pre-race?
Have you ever had any success automating football pre-off?
Do you run anything on financial markets?
Dallas

Finding markets quiet tradable so far despite the extended gap
PeterLe

dragontrades wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:00 pm

I just leave them running all day on the VPS, I must admit I do log in to monitor how they are doing during the course of the day
All in play (as this is where the volatility is)
No success on football nor do i do the financials
The beauty is, you set and forget them each morning.
Just been out to a friends to put some shelves up and new curtain rails (must be Christmas! :D ), logged in to find a nice 3 fig green from Lim! Instant Karma!
ShaunWhite

Peters Le and Webb.... Thx for the replies about the automation.
Euler

Doing well at Leop, making a dogs dinner of Catt
spreadbetting

dragontrades wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:00 pm

I 'bot' the markets but also do some manual stuff during the afternoon so the PC is manned during those hours but I rarely look at how the bot is doing. One of the main assets of a bot is it doesn't have any emotion so won't get flustered by any losses and can chun thru markets 24/7. It's surprising just how quickly losses can be recovered by small wins, so many losing traders could easily become winners if they stopped overreacting after a loss.

Mainly pre race for me as alot of the markets I'll do won't neccessarily go in play, dogs etc, but I do run in play stuff as I imagine most botters do just because it throws up so many opportunities.

I think football's one of those markets where prices are relatively stable because there's so many stats and modelling techniques you can use to set the price, throw in the higher liquidity and you just don't get the noise you get with other markets. For me there are far too many people modelling the prices much better than I can so for now I just run commission generating bots on the football that pull in small profits.

Used to run overround/underround bots on the old financials on Betfair but nothing price based.
dragontrades

Thanks for the info guys.
It must be a great feeling knowing you will make a certain amount each day on autopilot. I will keep working away in practice mode on the automation but have not yet found anything.
The big question is who has a bitcoin bot?
Dublin_Flyer

dragontrades wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:07 pm
Thanks for the info guys.
It must be a great feeling knowing you will make a certain amount each day on autopilot. I will keep working away in practice mode on the automation but have not yet found anything.
The big question is who has a bitcoin bot?
I was looking into it about 2 years ago! There was a monster setup on the go for something like 20K, a bit out of my reach for disposable or freely investable cash!
From what I remember there was Bitcoin mining/harvesting machine/servers being put together by banks of PS3 graphics chips/cards(at the time) as they were the fastest and most economically viable regarding Energy Usage v BitCoins earned, as at the time......BitCoins weren't worth much! :roll:
Thebest147

Korattt wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:05 pm
today was my last day with trading, don’t really want to bore you all with why but been trying for best part of three years now & I’m unable to make it pay, I can’t think of anything more I’ve wanted to succeed in but after a long think this really isn’t something I feel I can consistently be good at so today’s the day, best of luck in the future to everyone on here new & old. new year, new beginnings, new job & all that, cheers guys
Only my opinion but I dont think you can have a same strategy for a long period of time on Betfair,as the markets change evolve over time,that is way PW and the big players on Betfair betdaq make there living,ie they have data on all markets all the time, and bots to flag up any indifference in the market,and then compensate and take advantage off this,as by the time other traders realised the market has changed they have capacized and are looking for the next opportunity,probably worth if you have time recording a days markets and then on other device stick on you tube betangel videos offcourse 4 or 5 years ago and see how the markets have evolved,either that or think back to when you started and all the stupid mistakes we all made,and just do the opposite, for every trader like Koratt take called it a day there is a knew one waiting to make there fortune, as I say just my opinion :shock:
Thebest147

Sad to here wee legend of a horse Nicols canyon was killed after a fall yesterday willie mullins is having an awful time off things at the moment
Euler

Thebest147 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 am
Sad to here wee legend of a horse Nicols canyon was killed after a fall yesterday willie mullins is having an awful time off things at the moment
Y, often forgotten aspect of racing.
Euler

It's surprising just how quickly losses can be recovered by small wins, so many losing traders could easily become winners if they stopped overreacting after a loss.
Amen, been saying this for years as it's so true but people really struggle to do that.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”