When do markets open?

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

Is there a list anywhere that shows when each type of market opens relative to it's start time ?
Derek27

If you're referring to horse racing markets, it's not possible to have a specific length of time prior to race time for the market to open. Each race has its own deadline for horses to be declared to run. Then there's a period of time to process the information.

I never look at tomorrow's markets unless there's a big meeting on, but Betfair have never been lightning quick at doing anything. I just assume the markets will open whenever they feel like it. :)
deansaccount

How about football markets?
Kafkaesque

deansaccount wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 am
How about football markets?
I doubt there's a list anywhere, as BF just add them as they go along. Very different for football from horses. In theory, all football market for the whole season are open and could be added to BF as soon as the fixture list is out (or the draw made in cups). In fact, the markets went up for the Champions League matches next year pretty much as soon as the draw was made. For most competitions though, it makes little sense, and I rarely see BF not having opened/put up a market in plenty of time, and usually they're up way before any sort of relevant money is going to go in the market. Do you have a specific reason for needing it?
rinconpaul

If you're prepared to put in the time each day looking for when a market opens, there are good opportunities in being the first bidder, in other words the market maker!

In soccer it’s easy to be the market maker in anyone of the various less popular games and the sub betting categories (Under/Overs) etc I keep tabs on all the lesser known leagues (like AUS) and know the historical fair price on these outcomes. It might be an Estonia U21 game starting in 2 days time. You’ll find that there’s not even a bid lodged yet apart from match odds. You keep your stakes low and place your bids Under-Over Round. You’ll be surprised at how many get matched?

If you are particularly brilliant, you could almost run time interval scans 24/7 of all markets that have just opened, index match a database for actual probability outcome prices and place starting bids? It takes a lot of managing though to close out positions as even though the market might open two days out, and you're the first bidder, the serious money might not go on until the last hour, which might be at 3:00 am in the morning, your time? I've tried this manually, but it wears you down, as in return per hour cost effectiveness.
LinusP

rinconpaul wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:00 am
If you're prepared to put in the time each day looking for when a market opens, there are good opportunities in being the first bidder, in other words the market maker!

In soccer it’s easy to be the market maker in anyone of the various less popular games and the sub betting categories (Under/Overs) etc I keep tabs on all the lesser known leagues (like AUS) and know the historical fair price on these outcomes. It might be an Estonia U21 game starting in 2 days time. You’ll find that there’s not even a bid lodged yet apart from match odds. You keep your stakes low and place your bids Under-Over Round. You’ll be surprised at how many get matched?

If you are particularly brilliant, you could almost run time interval scans 24/7 of all markets that have just opened, index match a database for actual probability outcome prices and place starting bids? It takes a lot of managing though to close out positions as even though the market might open two days out, and you're the first bidder, the serious money might not go on until the last hour, which might be at 3:00 am in the morning, your time? I've tried this manually, but it wears you down, as in return per hour cost effectiveness.
You up against people who have access to unlimited market streaming/automation, I wouldn't bother 8-)
spreadbetting

LinusP wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:57 am
You up against people who have access to unlimited market streaming/automation, I wouldn't bother 8-)
Depends on your approach, if you're after the 1.01's etc forget it but there's still plenty of slots available.
Derek27

It's just gone midnight, new year's eve and they haven't opened New Year's Day's horse racing markets besides Southwell. I suppose unless there's anything really big on, nobody's going to bother looking beyond the next afternoon's cards.
ShaunWhite

LinusP wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:57 am
Aka LinusP. I figured that would be the case.
rinconpaul

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:20 am
I suppose unless there's anything really big on, nobody's going to bother looking beyond the next afternoon's cards.
Market makers need to know the perceived probability of an event happening. Like 2-0 scoreline in soccer and price the first open bid outside that probability. not too far out (1.01) but just enough to catch the impatient punter who wants to lock away some early bets. The dogs and horses are a lot harder as you need to do form to price your participants. A lot more work than soccer!
Here's a link, that Betfair promote, of a NZ punter who specializes in being the market maker in Harness racing and some other sports. https://www.betfair.com.au/hub/betting- ... -strategy/
Derek27

I used to be a market maker myself when I first started using Betfair, because as a punter I would price up a tissue and I was just betting a few quid. But I found a few quid is literally all you can get out of a market 24 hours before the start so as my stakes got bigger it was no longer worthwhile. On the odd occasion though, my few quid would get matched at crazy prices, as you often see in the Betfair graph.

Return to “General discussion”