Bet Angel VPS restarted automatically

User to User support only. For technical support visit www.betangel.com/support/
northbound

Today around 3:15PM UK time, my Bet Angel VPS restarted automatically.

I’ve sent a message to Bet Angel support to ensure it was a restart initiated by the hosting provider rather than an intruder.

Did someone notice anything similar on his Bet Angel VPS today?
Euler

The datacentre needed to move some servers from an old rack, so needed to restart to do that. It looks your server was in that mix.
northbound

Euler wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm
The datacentre needed to move some servers from an old rack, so needed to restart to do that. It looks your server was in that mix.
Excellent, thanks for the quick reply, Peter.
Euler

It's related to this well publicised issue that was found recently. Better to be safe than sorry.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm
I've been thinking about VPS hence my questions a while ago. Would/should users normally get a heads up?I realise it's probably a rare event but clearly took at least one person by surprise.
Euler

It is the first time something like this has happened. Information is sparse and action required, so rather than risk anything is just better to deploy a solution immediately. This is preferable to leaving the issued unresolved or waiting for approval.
northbound

Been using VPS for 6+ months, trading horses pretty much every day. This is the first time an automatic restart happened.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, Shaun. If you’re considering getting a Bet Angel VPS, definitely go for it.
LinusP

Planned restart with no warning? Ouch.
Euler

Call from the data centre ultimately, I use four and all four decided to roll out quickly rather than wait.
ShaunWhite

If I'd restarted servers back in the day without telling the traders, I'd still be recovering from the arse kicking I'd have had. And I suspect they'll be getting one from you because I'm sure it's not what you'd have wanted either. Definately something worth reviewing in your SLA though I'm sure you'll agree.

I/we know you can't wait for 50 user confirmations that it's safe, but even a 2min warning would be courtious given the nature of what they're hosting for you? An online shop can go down and it's no big deal, this is a bit different. A message to say it's back up would be appropriate too for those that missed the outage warning so they can repair any damage asap.

4/4 is pretty unlucky though (1000+?) so it's not a deal breaker vis a vis getting vps at some point. It might be a worry though if it happened again without a sensible proceedure in place.

Are there issues around subscribing to the vps version, but finding my own host to run it on, or hosting it myself? I accept I wouldn't benefit from any especially hi-speed comms with BF that you may have implemented and so far it's just an idea for a workaround that springs to mind.

Time for you to lace up your biggest boots :)
foxwood

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 pm
Are there issues around subscribing to the vps version, but finding my own host to run it on, or hosting it myself? I accept I wouldn't benefit from any especially hi-speed comms with BF that you may have implemented and so far it's just an idea for a workaround that springs to mind.
If you don't need super HFT have a look at Tagadab Windows cloud servers - cheap, great service and live UK bodies always at the end of the phone including emergency tech support phone 24 x 7.

They upgraded Fri night at 20:00 having given about 12 hours immediate warning with an early warning likely to happen 2 days earlier.

Used them for a couple of years now without any problems - just like using your own desktop and you can easily set RDP up to use multi-monitor layout locally if you have that sort of setup. Helps get round my lousy internet speed being out in the sticks - all the work is done on the server and it just has to send me the bits of the screen(s) that have changed :)
ShaunWhite

Thanks foxwood, I'll have a look at that.

Return to “Support”