Horse Racing Pundits On TV!!!!!!

A place to discuss anything.
mhorro

I have now managed the art of watching horse racing on TV whilst blocking out any comments/conversations from Racing Pundits by default, obviously I cannot name them!!!!

I want to know if they are that good why are they working? Surely backing their own selections would make them a fortune!

I just find it so boring how stats are spilled out on TV.

I have found the horse racing commentators seem to know what they are talking about more than the racing pundits!!!!!!

We need characters in the horse racing game who will give candid opinions!

:evil:
SeaHorseRacing

mhorro wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm
I have now managed the art of watching horse racing on TV whilst blocking out any comments/conversations from Racing Pundits by default, obviously I cannot name them!!!!

I want to know if they are that good why are they working? Surely backing their own selections would make them a fortune!

I have found the horse racing commentators seem to know what they are talking about more than the racing pundits!!!!!!

The sport of horse racing is all about who you know and not what you know.
mhorro

In my younger days age 30's it was easier. Maybe the sport needs to be turned on it's head as new owners without 1 million pounds in their bank account will struggle!

£25K year costs to train a horse, UK prize money does not cover it.

Even now trying to go to my local horse racing course sets you back £80 for me and my wife!

Football is a classic example of a sport that has lost the plot! Wages are ridiculous! Cost of season tickets etc.

I think horse racing is heading that way. Everyone has to make money but it should be a level playing field! :(
Derek27

You don't have to be a successful gambler to be a good pundit - it's more than just giving tips.
spreadbetting

mhorro wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm

They're only there to fill in the gaps between races and I doubt they do much research beforehand if we're being honest or even watch the race when it starts. But with 20 odd races a day you can't really expect them to have a strong opinion on each race or even any race. I do agree the commentators know what they're talking about but I guess when you're on the road and course each day you're bound to meet people in the know and watching that many races a year surely you get a better grasp than larking around in a studio.

After doing this for years I can agree the likes of Mick Fitzgerald really grates on me but I still need it on in the background for non runners etc :(
mhorro

Thanks for the comments but the Pundits are there to provide a service they are getting paid for this. There must be other people out there who have a proven track record of gambling and can be racing pundits! I do not see any point in relaying stats about a horse obtained from the racing press and presenting it live on TV, it's just waffle!

I just find it very irritating!

Wouldn't it be nice if a racing pundit relayed something on these lines,

"Running it today but possibly keeping it's handicap mark down because possibly running it at a big festival soon!"

The other comment I hate from Racing pundits,

"How did that spring back to form at 25/1 on a Saturday in a big race"

Yey right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek27

Jim Magarth and Graham Cunningham, in my opinion, were racing experts and thoroughly researched the races they were presenting. Mick Fitzgerald may not be a form expert but has good insight regarding jockeyship.

Why Clare Balding was retained by C4 is beyond me. I remember her explaining in Frankle's Queen Anne Stakes what 1-10 means. She said if you gamble £10 and it wins you get £1 back!!!
mhorro

The sports will self correct itself eventually just like the stock market and crypto currencies. You cannot fool people all of the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have we got another 2008?

:D
bennyboy351

IMHO,
If Pundits were THAT good, they'd keep their 'gobs' shut and quietly 'clean up'.........Stands to reason! I mean, if you've got a sure-fire, can't lose, gonna make me a bl**dy fortune 'idea', why tell the world?

If anyone's interested, just send me £1000 via Western Union and I'll tell you straight up - nothing held back - how NOT to lose money! LOL ;)
ShaunWhite

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:14 pm
IMHO,
If Pundits were THAT good, they'd keep their 'gobs' shut and quietly 'clean up'.........Stands to reason! I mean, if you've got a sure-fire, can't lose, gonna make me a bl**dy fortune 'idea', why tell the world?

If anyone's interested, just send me £1000 via Western Union and I'll tell you straight up - nothing held back - how NOT to lose money! LOL ;)
The reason there are pundits is simply to encourage more betting, they're no different to a presenter on QVC flogging any other product.
Derek27

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:14 pm
IMHO,

Betting isn't about finding "sure-fire, can't lose" selections - it's all about obtaining value. If a T.V. pundit has backed a 7/2 shot that really has a 5/2 chance of winning there is absolutely no reason why he wouldn't tip it and say what he thinks. What's he got to lose?
aperson

I'm glad the Irish racing is moving to RUK next year. Fast pics, no ads and pundits aren't generally quite as annoying. Matt Chapman behaves like a child with ADHD.
Black Ice

I agree aperson re Matt Chapman...a very good analogy!! Must remember that one!! Don't know if i hate MC or his predecessor more!! ...that idiot buffoon & all round mega mysoginist with the ultra stupid hats..McCririck. Had to put up with him leering into the camera for years
ShaunWhite

aperson wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:08 pm
I'm glad the Irish racing is moving to RUK next year. Fast pics,
Fast pics? Recently my RUK stream as been delayed by about 13s lately. It used to be about 3 or 4. Anyone else noticed similar?
spreadbetting

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:36 pm

The reason there are pundits is simply to encourage more betting, they're no different to a presenter on QVC flogging any other product.
Exactly, those channels rely on revenue from the bookie adverts to keep going so they, and racing tbh, need characters to draw people in. McCririck might have been clueless and irritating but it's people like him that bring in the punters. Can't imagine many people tune in to see that guy on RUK who looks like he's no teeth and does the analysis, in fact I'd imagine their viewing figures are pretty much nil when the racing's over for the day.

Return to “General discussion”