How can I react to a bet matched at poor odds

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Lucklogic

I am trying my luck with inplay markets, often a bet with be triggered at low odds (because it looks like it will go on to win) but is then placed in the market at much higher, unintended odds.

EG £ 4.74 Back bet placed on Zabeel Star at 1.44. Fully matched at 2.39424050632911. Ref: 118527447335 ( Fill or kill bet with 2 seconds delay. )

So my situation is a bet is triggered and placed at 1.44 but the market moves and is placed at 2.39

Questions
Can i prevent this happening, ie dont match above 1.6 ?
One the bet is matched at the 2.39 in the example how can i control it i.e. what betangle variable of parameter has the actual matched price info ?

Many thanks
Dallas

In your scenario above your getting matched at far better odds not 'poorer'

Betfair will always match you at the best available odds when your bet reaches the market,
You could use a 'fixed odds condition'
selections 'Last traded price' (or back price)
is less than 1.45

Even with that though if it trades at say 1.42 and therefore triggers your rule if the price drifts back out during the 1-second delay then you will be matched at the best price
ie, this could now be 2.39.

The way to look at it is let's assume your betting with £10 if your bet was matched immediately at 1.44 the price was still going to drift out 1 second later regardless of whether your bet was matched or not, only now if it comes back and wins you only win £4.40 whereas you would have won £13.90 by being matched at the higher odds.

Alternatively what you would be saying is if the odds trade at 1.44 and my bet get triggered but then it drifts back out i want my bet canceled and my money back - unfortunately, no such option exists or everyone would use it and no one would win or lose.
jimibt

Dallas wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:08 am
Alternatively what you would be saying is if the odds trade at 1.44 and my bet get triggered but then it drifts back out i want my bet canceled and my money back - unfortunately, no such option exists or everyone would use it and no one would win or lose.
Afternoon Dallas - this is an interesting dilemma. It would be very handy if there was a way to record the odds that were matched on a given rule/condition. That way, if the target odds was between 1.4 and 1.6 but the match from the rule ended up being in excess of that, you could have a second trigger that acted to place an offset bet of the same value against the initial bet. Of course, this would mean flagging the source bet in some way, so as to track that individual bet as it unfolded.... Could be done effectively i guess with a rule that looked at the odds of the runner in question and fired in a cancelling bet if they were outside the range (for the runner whose signal had been triggered ).

Convoluted, but may work to a degree, if the race was not of course in the dying seconds.
Lucklogic

Yes jimibt you have understood my sentiment exactly. How can you get out of a position that has gone bad - quickly......
Lucklogic

So just to be clear there is no variable or paramater that has the matched bet odds value, that does seem strange?

Of course you can use the Green up facility and thats what do
mcgoo

Not being able to track the odds one has opened at, has perplexed me for a while :? . I managed to get around it in tennis by as suggested, using a signal to track when odds are within a range (of my opening trade). I used the signal changed condition- in last x seconds range+ always armed.Tennis price ranges are slightly more stable than in play horses of course(for the most part) :mrgreen:
BetScalper

With horse racing in-play markets you can't get out quickly because of time delays etc.

If you want to back at 1.44 and your getting matched at 2.49 or more then you might be better off laying first and then trying to green up. :)

Also, if there are big gaps between back/lay price then that could be another clue for you too consider when deciding to BTL or LTB.
Lucklogic

mcgoo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 am
Not being able to track the odds one has opened at, has perplexed me for a while :? .
Yeah absolutly that does seem fundamental and a bit loaded against the punter

Why is it that we are not able to track the odds ?
ShaunWhite

Lucklogic wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:35 am
mcgoo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 am
Not being able to track the odds one has opened at, has perplexed me for a while :? .
Yeah absolutly that does seem fundamental and a bit loaded against the punter

Why is it that we are not able to track the odds ?
Not sure how you think it's loaded against the punter?

How would you tell Guardian exactly which bet you were trying to find the matched price for? And how should it handle partial matches at different prices.

It's all a lot harder than it sounds. Net position and Net odds would be helpful conditions though.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”