Trading Greyhound racing

We've gone to the dogs.
Crazyskier

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:12 am
if a job's worth doing , it's worth doing well :D :shock:
Indeed, though I can't help thinking that you'd have more credibility if you responded to the many requests to show a 3 or 6 month P/L to clarify that these aren't just the 'nuggets' amid some huge losses?

CS
Halliday

MemphisFlash wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:45 pm
screen layout 1.png
Playing with my toy, a superb Laptop purchased on Wednesday.
Showing my screen layout for the dogs.
Is there any point in telling us about your "Superb" purchase ,and continually posting screen shots of your seemingly endless profits,more so when youve been shown to be something of a Walter Mitty character,and rather prone to bragging.

All rather tedious and somewhst pointless.
RonObvious

Was trading a few greyhound races last night and something happened which really bothers me.

It was an OR so was decent money for the dogs and at exactly 2 seconds after post time the market was suspended, this was despite the fact that the dogs were nowhere near the boxes. Indeed it was another 3 minutes before the race started. Now I know people always say to be wary of start times with the dogs and I wasnt caught out but it just seems to be that Betfair miss a trick with dog racing.

Of course this happens on practically every dog race that I've seen, just random suspension of the market no matter where the dogs are, but by suspending dog races so randomly they are missing out on commision which makes no sense to me, how difficult is it to have somebody in Betfair watching a live feed and suspending the market when the dogs are going in the boxes. They've got this pretty spot on with horse racing so why not with dogs?

The really interesting thing to me was you could still put a bet on with traditional bookies right up until the hare was running, in fact the commentator was saying last chance to get your bets on about 2 minutes after Betfair had suspended the market.
dt888

RonObvious wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:13 pm
Was trading a few greyhound races last night and something happened which really bothers me.

It was an OR so was decent money for the dogs and at exactly 2 seconds after post time the market was suspended, this was despite the fact that the dogs were nowhere near the boxes.
Yes, Ive recently been recording off times (or what I thought would be off times) via when market suspends and noticed these to often be very different to the off times given on Sportinglife
dt888

However it is still not often that races go off early. I think Peter posted some figures on this a while back. It does happen occasionally but when it does its very rarely more than a few seconds early
Hepburn

I appreciate all profit and loss reports, as a newbie its encouraging to see that bots work very well with fine tuning. :)
RonObvious

dt888 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:35 pm
However it is still not often that races go off early. I think Peter posted some figures on this a while back. It does happen occasionally but when it does its very rarely more than a few seconds early
I wouldnt be worried too much about them going off early, like you say it seems to rarely happen.

But there is so much opportunity lost for the trader and for Betfair from a commision point of view with the time lost between the market suspending and the actual start of the races sometimes, can be anywhere from seconds to 3-4 minutes.
Euler

elofan0

mmm looks like my post which was a good comments gone missing or am i missing it
RonObvious

Further to my previous post about unpredictable off times I've just watched a market go off 3 minutes late but the really interesting thing was the amount of money still in the market and being traded right up until the market suspends and this is every race.

With it being impossible to judge when greyhound markets will suspend arent these people playing with fire big time? I cant understand how these people arent taking big losses all voer the place
BetScalper

RonObvious wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:15 pm
Further to my previous post about unpredictable off times I've just watched a market go off 3 minutes late but the really interesting thing was the amount of money still in the market and being traded right up until the market suspends and this is every race.

With it being impossible to judge when greyhound markets will suspend arent these people playing with fire big time? I cant understand how these people arent taking big losses all voer the place
Nope.

Most of them are on course bookies laying bets on the exchange, so they know what time the race will actually start, as they are too some extent controlling the start times. On a numer of occasions I have seen them speaking to race officials, which looks very suspect indeed. And hey presto the race goes off early or late. The only people who get caught out are the mugs sitting at home with no clue on what is actually happening at the track.
RonObvious

I cant believe all the money being traded after post time is from bookies. These are just normal amounts of money backing and laying 5's 10' 20's hundreds of times per minute no different to the sums being traded in the 2-3 minutes before post time.

As for knowing when the race will start thats different to when Betfair suspends the market. I've spent hours watching live video on the dogs and there is no discernible pattern at all to when the market will suspend. You can open a video and see that the dogs are nowhere near the boxes but the market will suspend and it will be another 2-3 minutes before the race starts, other times the market will suspend as the dogs go in the boxes, other times again its somewhere between the two.
spreadbetting

RonObvious wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:15 pm

Most of the UK dogs are streamed live these days so people can see if a market is delayed and carry on trading til the dogs start loading. I bot the dog markets and do OK. You have to remember with big losses come big wins also, so it's very much swings and roundabouts once you've turned over large numbers of markets.
RonObvious

spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:13 pm
Most of the UK dogs are streamed live these days so people can see if a market is delayed and carry on trading til the dogs start loading.
Thats my point though, I've watched live video thinking oh thats fine dogs are nowhere near the boxes and then the market suspends, there doesnt seem to be any logic to it at all. And this happens all the time where you think theres plenty of time to the race starting but the market suspends regardless.

I'm starting to think automation is the way forward :)
Naffman

Why does it seem pretty much all dog markets have 3/1+ favourites?

In Aus they're mostly 2.0-3.0

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”