Staking

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
brimson25

I'm still mildly confused by this. For pre-horse trading is it always better to trade a certain value per tick (£! or £2) or is it better to think in terms of your total liability? Or doesn't it matter (as long as you're abiding by sound bank roll management rules?

I'm sorry if the answer to this is elsewhere.
northbound

Personally I swing trade and prefer to enter trades knowing exactly how much I'm prepared to lose if it goes against me.

For example, I could enter a trade with £32, putting a stop loss x ticks away to limit the loss to £5 should it go against me.

This gives me peace of mind because:

- If the trade goes against me, there's a plan in place to prevent me from blowing my bank.

- I know exactly how much I stand to lose on the current trade, so it's a "calculated risk".

- I have a few ticks of tolerance so, if the market moves slightly against me, I don't freeze or panic. Market noise won't make me kill prematurely a potentially good trade.
brimson25

Cheers. Thanks for that. I think I feel happier with that too.

I think Peter has recommended the stake per tick size approach because of the different number of rungs at different places on the ladder.

I sort of get approach but I feel nervous playing at small prices because the total liability is so big, and it cramps me up.
brimson25

May I ask - why £32? Cheers.
northbound

brimson25 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:51 am
May I ask - why £32? Cheers.
I started with £2/4 stakes, practiced for months, tried loads of different approaches without lasting success.

Ultimately, I designed an approach that suits my style. It broke even or better for a number of weeks.

So I decided to scale it up to £16/32 stakes.
Derek27

I use resulting exponents of 2 - it's far easier than £1/2/5/10.

I base my stakes on price against volatility rather than tick size. Sometimes trading 2.2 to 2.6 can be similar to trading 8.2 to 8.6. Using 10 times the stake because of tick size can distort stakes.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”