BOOKIE BASHING

A place to discuss anything.
mobius

Same idea as RANT CORNER.
Pour out your vitriol in here and the rest of us can a have a nice useful forum.
YOUR STARTER FOR 10 POINTS

Fixed-odds betting stakes 'to be cut to £2'
The government is due to announce its decision on rules governing fixed-odds betting terminals.

2 hours ago
From the section Business
Related content
High stakes for betting machines
The terminals 'ruined my life'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44148285
Escalator.jpg
BBC have already got it top of the news :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Naffman

Think William Hill will be shipping all the FOBT's to the US as we speak

Great result, wipes out all the gains they got earlier in the week :D
mobius

Think William Hill will be shipping all the FOBT's to the US as we speak

Great result, wipes out all the gains they got earlier in the week :D
Naffman

And Good Morning to you. Nice sunny one here.
Naffman

Not bad here too hope you're well and got a good nights sleep ;)
LeTiss

Dan Weston just made a glorious tweet -

Bookmakers have been restricted - the ultimate irony?
Naffman

That is good :lol:
BetScalper

While I agree with the limit it will be a shame if 20,000 high street jobs do go.

My hightstreet is baron enough plus the treasury will have to find the short fall in tax receipts.
mobius

They have high st prime site retail outlets that have cash-handling facilities. Banks closing all over the country, post offices ditto. Aging population metrics - another 5-10 years life in 'em (both shops and pensioners). Plus Mothercare(they were in the news this morning - other retailers are available and having a crappy time.) They need imagination.
Agglomerate!
Go in, get your money from the bank(bookie), place a tenner on the fave with your bookie(bookie), buy stamps from your Post(bookie) buy nappies from your Mother(bookie) post nappies with stamps to your grandkids etc. Get coffee from your Costa(bookie) just don't pick that horse ! It's a donkey.
It's called multi-tasking.
Bookies could become respectable.
:lol:
As Maggie Thatcher said "I don't see it in my lifetime"
(But she was talking about female prime ministers...........................................)
wearthefoxhat

BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:30 am
While I agree with the limit it will be a shame if 20,000 high street jobs do go.

My hightstreet is baron enough plus the treasury will have to find the short fall in tax receipts.
I'm not totally convinced this is what will happen. No doubt any staff reductions will be tagged to the FOBT decision, most will already be in the pipeline irrespective of a £2 outcome in 2020.

I've lost count of the times I've heard a strong company anounce increased profits ...and then announce a shedding of x000's jobs.

I'd view this as an opportunity for the bookmaking industry. Probably more mergers before 2020. Embrace on-line presence in retail shops, maybe set up trading/internet booths, improve customer service, focus on a more grassroots approach and investment in staff quality.

Some of the shops have a "Gil's bookmaker" (big deal TV series) feel about them even though they have spent money on the refurbushment. (ladbrokes and hills for sure).

rant over....for now
BetScalper

I was just watching Sky news and apparently the government is also looking at restricting on-line gambling by checking peoples credit file to see if they are in debt and can afford the amounts they are betting.

Not sure who/how these checks would be done. Would it be when you open an account or realtime credit checks before you place a £500 bet or such. It seems there would be cross party agreement so should be some more changes in the pipeline for on-line gaming at least.
LeTiss

That would bugger most traders, as many have poorish credit files, due to paying no income tax!
Euler

People have mainly missed the following paragraph in that release by the government
In order to cover any negative impact on the public finances, and to protect funding for vital public services, this change will be linked to an increase in Remote Gaming Duty, paid by online gaming operators, at the relevant Budget.
LeTiss

Euler wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:25 am
People have mainly missed the following paragraph in that release by the government
In order to cover any negative impact on the public finances, and to protect funding for vital public services, this change will be linked to an increase in Remote Gaming Duty, paid by online gaming operators, at the relevant Budget.
Is the old 9/10% tax returning to bets then?
How would that impact upon exchanges?
BetScalper

LeTiss wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am
Euler wrote:
Is the old 9/10% tax returning to bets then?
How would that impact upon exchanges?
I don't know but I imagine BF would have to increase the commission to say 10% with the additional 5% paid to the government or something ?

You can't really go after the companies that run on-line poker as aren't they registered in Guernsey/Channel Islands for tax purposes and therefore outside of normal rules etc ?
PDC

LeTiss wrote:
That would bugger most traders, as many have poorish credit files, due to paying no income tax!
Income tax paid or not paid has zero impact on your credit file as it is not taken account of at all, there is no reason why being a trader should mean you have a poor credit file.

Also your salary is not included nor how much savings you have.

Return to “General discussion”