Match fixing

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Kafkaesque

Best I can tell from a search there's a few previous threads on this. They're however on specific matches.

I thought, it would be interesting and beneficial to have a more general debate on the issue, as it can be costly affair to be on the wrong side of a trade with this issue.

What does the threat of match fixing do to people's of countries, league and/or matches to trade in?

Which other precautions do people take?

The obvious answer is clearly to stick to the biggest leagues with the biggest player salaries etc. Other leagues do however have an appeal to me from time to time, with the higher volatility offering up some good spots. Even if it's more of high risk and high reward approach.

My rule of thump - apart from looking at the size of the league in terms of money, prestige etc. - is increased caution and observation of weird-looking shifts both before and after entering the market the further east you go.

Also would be brilliant if we could share knowledge of potential "stay-away" leagues and teams, both from media reports and personal experience. Preferably without clogging the thread too much with too much on specific matches, but rather a remark afterwards, if that makes sense.

Even if I think few football traders will have missed it, but I'll lead off with Sweden apparently having something of a problem with match fixing. Apart the Gothenburg match being called off in the top tier a year or so ago, there are (or were at least?) several teams in the second tier where even the Swedish state bookie, Svenska Spil refuses/refused to offer odds.
max_usted

Kafkaesque wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 pm
Best I can tell from a search there's a few previous threads on this. They're however on specific matches.

I thought, it would be interesting and beneficial to have a more general debate on the issue, as it can be costly affair to be on the wrong side of a trade with this issue.

What does the threat of match fixing do to people's of countries, league and/or matches to trade in?

Which other precautions do people take?

The obvious answer is clearly to stick to the biggest leagues with the biggest player salaries etc. Other leagues do however have an appeal to me from time to time, with the higher volatility offering up some good spots. Even if it's more of high risk and high reward approach.

My rule of thump - apart from looking at the size of the league in terms of money, prestige etc. - is increased caution and observation of weird-looking shifts both before and after entering the market the further east you go.

Also would be brilliant if we could share knowledge of potential "stay-away" leagues and teams, both from media reports and personal experience. Preferably without clogging the thread too much with too much on specific matches, but rather a remark afterwards, if that makes sense.

Even if I think few football traders will have missed it, but I'll lead off with Sweden apparently having something of a problem with match fixing. Apart the Gothenburg match being called off in the top tier a year or so ago, there are (or were at least?) several teams in the second tier where even the Swedish state bookie, Svenska Spil refuses/refused to offer odds.
My understanding is that becomes more of an issue in end-of-season games in some leagues (Italy, Spain, Brazil). I remember reading about a Bot which you can pay for a subscription to which basically looks for very unusual odds and gives you alerts where it finds them, some/a minority of these likely being for fixed outcomes.
convoysur-2

looks very suspect
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
convoysur-2

seen the 333k trying to get matched before the off,just thought it was a mad man
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeTiss

What a surprise, it ended 1-1 with an OG 11 mins from time
convoysur-2

and did you see the penalty missed in 88 min
convoysur-2

Some weird shit happening in the liberdad game -ko- 11.15
73% of money traded on the draw--0-0 and 1-1 prices look suspect
convoysur-2

so the 4 in this group are playing tonight,libertad and tucuman have the most points -how do i find out how many go through from this group is it normally 1 or 2 teams go through from group-i have no idea im not a football guy really-but if its the 2 at the top going through it would seem like they have an agreement to have a draw.
convoysur-2

ok i see it now on the bottom -the green box says advances to next round,,so libertad and tucuman are already qualified for next round
max_usted

convoysur-2 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:11 pm
ok i see it now on the bottom -the green box says advances to next round,,so libertad and tucuman are already qualified for next round
Hmm nice spot! See how this one goes.
Kafkaesque

convoysur-2 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:11 pm
Incorrect to the best of my knowledge. Advances in front of the top in the table, you've found, indicates that whoever finishes there will advance, ie. not necessarily who's placed there now.

They likely haven't agreed it as such, but the match will be a real pain. Many South American leagues are gamemanship from any side that has a result they deem good, no matter how far along the match is. Argentinian football is the absolute worst at it. If you, despite not being a football guy, happened to watch the Arsenal vs. Atletico semis, then think not one but likely two teams acting like Atletico, and worse actually, from minute 1. It'll be all rolling around with any tackle, taking 45 seceonds for every throw-in, misplacing the ball on purpose at corners etc. Anything's fair game.
convoysur-2

[/quote]

Incorrect to the best of my knowledge. Advances in front of the top in the table, you've found, indicates that whoever finishes there will advance, ie. not necessarily who's placed there now.

I Think i know what your saying -but looking at the points libertad and tucuman are clear .the other game tonight with pinerol and the strongest cant catch them on points (i think)
Kafkaesque

convoysur-2 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 pm

I Think i know what your saying -but looking at the points libertad and tucuman are clear .the other game tonight with pinerol and the strongest cant catch them on points (i think)
If Penarol win and Tucuman loses then they both have 9 points with Penarol advancing on goal difference.
convoysur-2

anyone watching it? seems like no one attempts to score,,SWEET
convoysur-2

FULL TIME 0-0 ,,

Return to “Football trading”