Smarkets public API

A place to discuss anything.
xitian

Yeah, I think the discussion of voided bets is a bit pointless until we have some actual experience of it happening.

Basically we just need Smarkets to open up the API to make it a level playing field. Then we’ll see how Smarkets and the market makers handle it when independent traders start winning money off them. That’ll be the litmus test for what sort of business they plan to be. Until then it’s hard to tell, but restricting the API isn’t the best way of being fair and open in my opinion.

Jason, what are the requirements for becoming a market maker and getting access to the API?
Derek27

xitian wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 pm
Yeah, I think the discussion of voided bets is a bit pointless until we have some actual experience of it happening.
We?

You can go first and let us know what happened. :lol:
napshnap

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 am
xitian wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 pm
We?

You can go first and let us know what happened. :lol:
+1
Naffman

A lot of us already 'lose' loads in PC every week so if Smarkets can deliver I don't see why people would be that hesitant to move over

And I really doubt too many will be affected by someone having a fat finger at 1.01 and it cancelling those bets
Trading96

To be fair I didn't realise they were measuring it by percentage points, still don't agree with it but atleast is less of a joke policy.
napshnap

Naffman wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:27 am
A lot of us already 'lose' loads in PC every week so if Smarkets can deliver I don't see why people would be that hesitant to move over

And I really doubt too many will be affected by someone having a fat finger at 1.01 and it cancelling those bets
Why are you being so optimistic about this bookie? I'll better pay half of my earnings for clear and fair conditions than I will allow some asshole deside if my MATCHED bet fits for him or not.
spreadbetting

Naffman wrote:

I'd agree it's likely to be rare but even Jason's confirmed it being invoked a few times a month so it is happening, you'd always be a bit wary of getting a spike and wondering if the market makers are going to go crying for it to be a cancelled a few hours after it's gone the wrong way for them. But without an API smarkets aren't even a consideration for me, I've done my days of entering bets thru a website and in fast moving markets you'll always be a few steps behind people with quick access to place and cancel bets.
Derek27

Naffman wrote:

At least we know with each trade how much PC will be deducted. It's not a question of laying a 1.01 fat finger, laying at 1.6 and then backing at 2.2 could affect you, but it's really a matter of principle. Nobody wants to use an exchange if the person you win money off can complain to Smarkets (after having a good blub) and some college boy in short trousers has the power to decide to give him his money back.
Naffman

napshnap wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:44 pm
Naffman wrote:

Why are you being so optimistic about this bookie? I'll better pay half of my earnings for clear and fair conditions than I will allow some asshole deside if my MATCHED bet fits for him or not.
I'm optimistic about anything that challenges Betfair!

Agreed it needs fixing but there are a lot of issues with Betfair remember
vide0star

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:48 pm
Naffman wrote:

At least we know with each trade how much PC will be deducted. It's not a question of laying a 1.01 fat finger, laying at 1.6 and then backing at 2.2 could affect you, but it's really a matter of principle. Nobody wants to use an exchange if the person you win money off can complain to Smarkets (after having a good blub) and some college boy in short trousers has the power to decide to give him his money back.
I don't wear shorts....often.

This policy is to protect customers, not so much market makers. As said earlier, it's usually from a fat finger mistake.

Our API is opening more and more each month. I understand you guys need trading software and our website isn't appropriate for you; it's coming but no timeline on it yet. My focus is on market makers.
xitian

vide0star wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 am
My focus is on market makers.
How do you classify a market maker? Based on turnover? Based on volume offered vs taken? Can I just say I'm a market maker and get access to the API?
spreadbetting

I'd guess they'd be looking for some kind of guarantee of a certain amount of liquidity/markets covered before granting API access.
LinusP

xitian wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:10 pm
vide0star wrote:
My focus is on market makers.
How do you classify a market maker? Based on turnover? Based on volume offered vs taken? Can I just say I'm a market maker and get access to the API?
Hi Liam,

I'm afraid our API isn't currently available. However if you would be interested in early access, please fill out the short survey included in this email. We can then get back in touch with you once we are in a position to offer access.
https://docs.google.com/a/smarkets.com/ ... =drive_web
Derek27

vide0star wrote:
This policy is to protect customers, not so much market makers. As said earlier, it's usually from a fat finger mistake.
Customers take bets off other customers. If I lay a horse at a very short price and a customer with fat fingers takes it, that customer will be protected. The problem is, I'm also a customer and I may lose money covering my voided lay bet.

It's his fault he's got fat fingers, not mine!!

Return to “General discussion”