Telephone trading?

A place to discuss anything.
stueytrader

Had a powercut at home today, and really brought home that possible problem when trading!

I haven't used telephone trading up to now, does anyone have any experiences in relation to trading - e.g. trying to close out, green/red out etc using the telephone version...?

It could be necessary consideration for all of us I suppose.
Trader Pat

I use a variation of the Take SP servant so if Betfair goes down any open orders will be taken at SP.

In the event of a powercut or internet going down i have Betfair open on my iphone which is connected by 4g. Works well up until now.
Dallas

stueytrader

Thanks Dallas and Pat, yes will have a look at options.

Was still wondering if anyone had used the phone service much though, and how good it was?
ShaunWhite

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:09 pm
Had a powercut at home today, and really brought home that possible problem when trading!
I have a ups on my pc and the router. Even with a power cut the green box in the street keeps working for about 2 hours because they have a big ups installed as standard; so that your landline still works.

When I started out, I had to call BF telephone support once to try and close a position. Let's just say make sure you've got 15mins to explain what you mean because as a non vip customer it was about as satisfactory as trying to trade by carrier pigeon.
jimibt

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:21 pm
Thanks Dallas and Pat, yes will have a look at options.

Was still wondering if anyone had used the phone service much though, and how good it was?
i can imagine it would be very frustrating, especially if you only had recourse to use it if BF went down - every man and his dog (or horse) would be waiting in the queue (you are position number 101, your call isimportantto us etc!!).

in a word, i'd think - forget about it!! use take sp all the time!
spreadbetting

If Betfair went down they wouldn't be able to do much on the other end of the phone either so hardly matters where you were in the queue.

I used them once when my sky internet went down, they were useless wish I'd used a phone with a browser to close my positions.
Derek27

If you try and phone through a bet in desperation I can't imagine sitting, waiting for them to answer, or sitting in a queue behind dozens of others trying to close position when the API is down, would be the best way to spend your last few minutes. Bookies or another exchange may be more reliable.
weemac

I had a sudden internet failure and had to phone them in a panic trying to close several positions. It was a nightmare - I got through fairly quickly but verifying my identity was frustratingly slow, and then they clearly failed to understand the concept of someone wanting/needing to close an open position. It seems their operators have no access to the 'cash-out' facility so you have to explicitly tell them what to back/lay and how much for.
Then the first race went in-play and it became an utter comedy of trying to communicate through the onslaught of in-running price movements.

Fortunately my internet came back at that point, and I found I was by this time back in quite a healthy profit, but trading urgently by phone is not an experience you want to go through.
spreadbetting

weemac wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 am
I had a sudden internet failure and had to phone them in a panic trying to close several positions. It was a nightmare - I got through fairly quickly but verifying my identity was frustratingly slow, and then they clearly failed to understand the concept of someone wanting/needing to close an open position. It seems their operators have no access to the 'cash-out' facility so you have to explicitly tell them what to back/lay and how much for.
Then the first race went in-play and it became an utter comedy of trying to communicate through the onslaught of in-running price movements.

Fortunately my internet came back at that point, and I found I was by this time back in quite a healthy profit, but trading urgently by phone is not an experience you want to go through.
Exactly the same as my experience with them, use them as a last resort only. Pretty much every modern phone will be able to access the site on the internet so use that first if possible.
ShaunWhite

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:58 am
weemac wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 am
I had a sudden internet failure
Pretty much every modern phone will be able to access the site on the internet so use that first if possible.
No need to use the phone browser or the BF app.

Get a $5 wireless dongle for your the pc. (no need on a laptop)
When Internet goes down, flip your phone into Hotspot mode. (not sure about ios but on android it's easy, settings>connection etc)
Change your PC/laptop connection to the wireless hotspot instead of wired.
BA continues as though nothing has happened.
Close your positions.

It's another impressive thing about BA, it copes really well with a change of connection, but your browser might need a restart to reattach.
stueytrader

Thanks for the replies - seems as I suspected rather a poor experience all round trying to trade using the phone.

Of course, this would only ever be a last resort in any case.

Loving the experience posted about trying to close out inplay over the phone, can just imagine :lol:
Bumeaung50

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:48 pm
stueytrader wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:09 pm
I have a ups on my pc and the router. Even with a power cut the green box in the street keeps working for about 2 hours because they have a big ups installed as standard; so that your landline still works.

When I started out, I had to call BF telephone support once to try and close a position. Let's just say make sure you've got 15mins to explain what you mean because as a non vip customer it was about as satisfactory as trying to trade by carrier pigeon.
Hmm, That's really bad mostly when you are at trading then the power or even the router's connection got a problem. That's why if I started trading I double check my power, my computer, and even my wifi router I use.
DeepWire9

I tried to trade on the phone but it didn’t lead to anything good. Brokers sometimes don't understand what you want
Just_nobody

does anyone feel it's the time Bet Angel develop for android version? :roll:

Return to “General discussion”