Bookies odds and support / resistance

The sport of kings.
Johnedale

I’m trying to understand the way that bookies odds can act as support / resistance. Before starting to learn about trading I never had any interest in racing so am not even sure which fractions bookies use. I found this list in another topic, but have also seen a list elsewhere that contained far fewer fractions. Are there some odds which bookies tend to skip over as a price moves or are all the ones in this list equally likely to act as support / resistance points?
F34CD444-EF89-4F11-8F21-CE0FA6F5F01C.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

These tend to be the main ones (2/1 3.0 should also be on there)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnedale

Thanks. That’s a lot less to remember :)
to75ne

Johnedale wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:40 pm

why do you want to remember them?
Johnedale

to75ne wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:12 pm
Johnedale wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:40 pm

why do you want to remember them?
If there tends to be support or resistance at certain odds then surely it’s useful to bear those in mind?
Dallas

Just dug an old laptop out, this is how I used to have them years ago to help me remember them
to75ne

what if the support/resistance is not at those decimal odds that correspond to fractional odds?

cant see any point in memorising a list of numbers that will only be of little benefit (if any) "before learning to trade".

you will be better off keeping your mind clutter free of all such lists while you learn to control your emotions.
ruthlessimon

It's difficult, because let's say the low is consistently 2.46, is that a hold of 6/4?

..Or is it a hold of 2.46 ;)
ShaunWhite

Johnedale wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:40 am
I found this list in another topic, but have also seen a list elsewhere that contained far fewer fractions.
That was just my full list Johnedale. The ones I take notice of are much more like Dallas' list, maybe even a shorter list actually.

They're definately significant but it's not set in stone, market noise will tend to blur the boundaries a bit. It's good that you're thinking about how the real betting world works away from the ladders and numbers.
ShaunWhite

If in doubt, then start with the round or 'nice' easy to remember numbers. x.0, x.5, x.25 etc, 2.0 is a world of it's own and well worth watching.

Understanding how punters think is key to trading imo. So is your average guy in street going to want to back something down to 2.5 or to 2.412754 ? And if they're old school or not especially bright, (ie most punters), then they'll be thinking in terms of what they're used to & can work out easily, 6/4, 7/4, 4/5 etc.

If you watch racing on the telly you'll soon see what increments the bookies usually use.

As I said it's not set in stone, but without some milestones that ladder is just a smudge of meaningless decimal numbers.
StellaBot

Not sure there Shaun
I would be looking more at their overound also
and factoring that in
So eg if 10/1 with 120% overound
Is that 8/1?
Is the 8/1 pure maths or does it matter?
Dunno if that makes a diff.
StellaBot

Im also sure
There are ways to look at this if eg
My post regarding data capture is answered
ShaunWhite

It's just a guide.

btw the overround, it's spread over all the selections, so a 140% on a 10 horses is about on 4% each. Noise in the market is more than that usually.
I know lots of ex-bookies will pop up to explain that it's different for favs and a book is never perfectly balanced, but as a rough rule of thumb it's not far off.

It's why backing individual horses on the exchange at 100%, doesn't give you a 40% better return than the bookies, if only, but dutching all runners does.
The fewer the number of runners the more the overround affects each one.

...well that's how I understand it anyway.
Johnedale

ruthlessimon wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:18 pm
It's difficult, because let's say the low is consistently 2.46, is that a hold of 6/4?

..Or is it a hold of 2.46 ;)
In markets with higher liquidity and widely available TV coverage would you expect there to be a higher ratio of regular punters to traders, and therefore bookies odds would play a greater role? Are there other factors you could use to estimate this, for instance if the price had lingered around the next fractional odds up the list on its way down to 2.46? As others have said, I know nothing is set in stone and you would need other indicators as well.
ruthlessimon

Devil's advocate incoming :twisted:
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:05 pm
Understanding how punters think is key to trading imo. So is your average guy in street going to want to back something down to 2.5 or to 2.412754 ? And if they're old school or not especially bright, (ie most punters), then they'll be thinking in terms of what they're used to & can work out easily, 6/4, 7/4, 4/5 etc.
Wouldn't that make it "current fair value"; not "support/resistance"?

That's the irony I've always thought when it comes to S&R levels - a proper S/R level will hardly do any volume

Return to “Trading Horse racing”