Computer configuration

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
Dublin_Flyer

I've little experience with AMD so can't comment on that.

I'd go for the 1050ti instead of the 1050 2gb. It's twice the memory for about 30ish quid difference. Also I'd choose a higher wattage PSU too, 300w is pretty much bare minimum in prebuilt pc's these days unless a higher wattage/spec is requested. As a built pc needs a PSU, it's easier to scrimp on these and get the cheapest type in to increase the profit margin rather than go for quality.
arbitrage16

Thanks DF, will take your advice on the PSU - they offer the following "Contour 400W High Efficiency ATX PSU" for an extra £6 - is that about right?

on the graphics cards, is an upgrade necessary? The NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB is £44 extra, but I'm wondering if that is overkill given I won't be doing any gaming, or even anything particularly intensive on the trading front; it's really only ladder stuff for me.

Appreciate the feedback, ta
Wolf1877

Just coming back to the relevance of clockspeeds when comparing processor speed as per Dallas's input. I found the following useful info on https://www.arrowcomputers.com.au/page/ ... al-core-i3. I also followed up on the Intel turbo clockspeed feature (as featured the i7-8700 and i7-7700 and other processors). According to wiki basically the turbo GHz speed boost automatically kicks in at times of high demand on the processor but will automatically drop down again if the processor starts getting too hot. I still think that the CPUbenchmark site I linked earlier is the absolute best guide available on CPU speed as it results from users actual speed benchmark tests from a large sample of machines.
Clock speed is the rate at which a processor executes a task and is measured in Gigahertz (GHz). Once, a higher number meant a faster processor, but advances in technology have made the processor chip more efficient so now they do more with less.

For example: An Intel Core i5 running at 3.46 GHz is not faster than an Intel Core i7 running at 3.06 GHz.

Comparing the speed of your old Pentium 4 CPU (an old scale which peaked at 3.4 GHz) with the speed of the current i series CPU’s (the new scale which started at 1.6 GHz) is a bit like comparing the Fahrenheit with Celsius temperature scales. The i series 1.6 GHz CPU runs faster and outperforms the old style Pentium 4 CPU. Hence your new i5 or i7 running at 3.0 GHz plus cannot be compared to any older generation Pentium 4 hardware.

Remember: Don’t compare computers based on clock speed unless they use the same line of processors – such as Intel core i3, i5 or i7.

You may come across Intel’s Turbo Boost Technology while shopping for a new PC. This is one of the many exciting new features the Intel chip has built into core i5 and core i7 processors. It automatically speeds up the processor for a burst of heavy-duty activity when your PC needs extra performance. For example, a core i5 chip rated at a hefty 2.5 GHz can kick up to 3 GHz on demand without stressing the processor or running the risk of overheating.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”