Historical data tool

rik

Hey guys,

new to this, is there actually tools available to filter the information you want out of these hisotrical data files?
for example how would i find out if there are discrepancies for certain prices being hit in-play, or if there is a tendency for steamers/drifters to win more often than BSP etc
I don't have any programming skills, how do i actually analyse the historical data? thanks
jimibt

hi rik,

I actually model the historical data via a download from betfair. I then save that to a database and use a variety of pre-processing jobs on it ahead of making it available for excel. I then further interogate that using excel.

I'm not sure if there's something out there on the interwebs that allows you to do similar or not. It would seem like quite a straightfwd offering and maybe someone can enlighten as to whether such a service exists... I'm sure i saw one of the memebrs offering a service that reviews BTL opportunities. That site may have a stats section that can be custom fiddled with (hey - there's an idea bf-Bin!! :D)
rik

hey there,

what betfair download is that?
been googling a bit but only found tools/spreadsheets for profit loss analysis.

Anyone else have advice?
jimibt

rik -you can find the relevant stuff here: https://www.betfairpromo.com/betfairsp/prices/index.php

there's a chance that your Chrome browser will complain about it, due to https (betfair havenot made a certificate available for that domain) - you can override that by clicking advanced and go to the page. thereafter, the files you are after are all there. just a matter of using excel to analyse them.
ShaunWhite

rik wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:03 am
I don't have any programming skills, how do i actually analyse the historical data? thanks
The answer is to get some programming skills. In the time it takes to find something, figure it out and then realise it doesn't do what you want, you could have learned how to do it yourself. You won't find anything novel if you just use something other people are using.

You might take 3 or 4 weeks learning how to do it but that's f'all in the context of the time it takes to learn how to trade.
rik

come on im not some genius, just want to find out basic stuff like prices matched inplay for example.
dont think i can learn programming in a few weeks
Jukebox

Rik, jimibt's advice will get you the raw info in spreadsheet format. Once you have it in spreadsheet format it is very easy and intuitive to find the type of info you are asking for. But you will need at least some very basic excel spreadsheet skills. You tube has plenty of help with this - and you will be surprised how easily most people can at least grasp those things - it won't take you long to discover how easily you can 'sort' and 'filter' the info to discover the answers you seek. You might not be able to learn programming in a few weeks but you will be able to pick up some spreadsheet skills in a few hours - and once you get the scent.....
At least give it a try.
ShaunWhite

That's spot on Jukebox, I obviously didn't mean to learn every aspect of programming in 4 weeks (160hrs) and I'm including using excel as 'a type of 'programming' too.

Excel basics can be learnt in a day and advanced excel in about a week (40hrs). You certainly don't need to be a genius to do it but you do need to approach it like 'proper' learning and be prepared to push yourself and graft to achieve what you want. Reading a sheet, manipulating the numbers and writing something back to the sheet is pretty much all that needed. It's very doable.

My comment was also in reaction to the large number of posts I see where people say that I can't do this or I can't do that. The missing word is 'yet'. Information and help has never been easier or cheaper to find, there's no reason that anyone can't learn anything, if they want it enough.

I'm not being awkward and not helping rik, quite the opposite. I'm just suggesting there's a better way than relying on finding exactly what you need. Basic programming/excel really isn't rocket science, and it's certainly easier to learn than how to be a successful trader. Don't define yourself by what you can't do, because can't is a only temporary condition.

(have a look at Udemy.com rik, it's cheap or free and has 100s of high quantity learning resources.)

Return to “Betfair Data”