Account Closure (Betfair live market data)

A place to discuss anything.
Phoenix

On Tuesday morning I discovered I'd received an email which had been in my inbox since Monday informing me that Betfair had closed my account (your data usage profile represents that of a commercial user). This came as quite a shock and completely out of the blue as I had no previous warning that I was doing anything wrong. I am not claiming ignorance as a defence as they referred me to terms and conditions. I telephoned customer services who referred me to Betfair Development Support. I'd never even heard of them. Anyway I emailed them on Tuesday morning and got an immediate acknowledgement that my email had been received. A couple of hours after I got an email asking me to give answers to some questions. I replied with my answers the same day. I received an email on Thursday informing me my account had been re-instated but there was a warning (see below).

"Continued extensive viewing of live market data without requisite betting activity will result in further restrictions". What does this mean in layman's terms?

When they refer to live market data are they referring to the fact of logging into Betfair and not placing a bet or is it something more specific? I do call up the price graphs quite a lot on the Betfair website when I'm logged in. I have been logging into my account on two laptops at the same time and also into the free Bet Angel basic on one of the laptops, all running at the same time. I do place bets when my signals arrive but I don't enter trades just for the action. I'm a totally manual trader solely on tennis.

I just want to know where I have gone wrong so this has less of a chance happening again. The first email I received was quite devastating, thinking my trading days were over. Thanks in advance for any replies or information on this subject.
Dallas

overuse of Practice mode and lack of real bets is usually the case
Take you pick from these
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15557
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17677
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16816

How to resolve
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15692
Phoenix

Thanks Dallas. I've read some of these posts and will read them again.
Phoenix

As far as I'm aware I've never been in practice mode. I log onto Bet Angel Basic (free). I use it to place the odd £1 bet when silly odds are offered, you know when a player is offered at something like 600-1. Do you think my data usage will decrease significantly if I cease using the free basic version?
spreadbetting

No one knows what levels they consider acceptable, and none of us know how much you bet or are on the site for so can't really offer much advice other than what you're doing now isn't acceptable to betfair. Obviously stopping using BA will reduce your data useage but whether that'll be significant all depends on how long your run it for and how many tabs open.
Phoenix

Thanks for responding spreadbetting.

In your opinion Is buying a commercial licence the only viable alternative if one's looking for some peace of mind even though I'm just a private trader?
firlandsfarm

Phoenix wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm
I use it to place the odd £1 bet when silly odds are offered …
Well I suspect low usage at £1 bet will piss them off!
Derek27

Phoenix wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:02 pm
Thanks for responding spreadbetting.

In your opinion Is buying a commercial licence the only viable alternative if one's looking for some peace of mind even though I'm just a private trader?
I might be wrong but I recall a commercial licence as costing £299. Is it worth paying that much to place the odd £1 bet? Do your profits cover the cost?
Phoenix

I do other trades but on the main Betfair website not just £1 bets. If Bet Angel allows £1 how is one to know it's going to be an issue? When one makes an error as I unwittingly have been doing it would seem normal protocol to provide clear and unmistakeable guidance going forward. The advice I have received I mentioned in my initial post (see below)

"Continued extensive viewing of live market data without requisite betting activity will result in further restrictions".

What size of bet is needed to satisfy the requirement mentioned above and what should be the frequency? If one isn't given clear guidelines it's kind of like asking how long is a piece of string? I just want to be confident I'm doing the right thing but it appears I've just got to place my faith in hope, not really completely knowing if an increase in staking and frequency is going to suffice. I received no initial warning when my account was closed. I know some will point to terms and conditions and I admit I have no defence because I hadn't even read them. However even though my staking has decreased somewhat compared to previous levels I've contributed in my own small way to Betfair's growth over the years (cue violins!). The email informing me of my account being closed was a real blow to the solar plexus. I wouldn't wish it on anybody who enjoys and values trading sports markets. I've lost a lot of money over the years. It's been an expensive education. The reason for lowering my stakes was to concentrate on my methodology, my strategy. It's been in the back of my mind that I should start increasing my staking. Maybe this might prove a kick up the arse. However as I've pointed out previously I'll still be non the wiser if my increase is adequate. Anyway I'll get off the couch now :lol:
BetScalper

I don't know how true this is so please take with a pinch of salt....

If your a UK account holder then:

A. Must have a minimum of £5, after exposure in your account at all times.
B. Minimum bet is £2.
C. This is the tricky one and nobody knows the formula before your account is flagged.

However, in regard to C above, if it was my business then i would stipulate that someone should, on average, place a minimum of £0.50 per hour they are logged onto and retrieving data.

Example: Person A has spent 50 hours logged on and retrieving data this week and therefore should have placed bets totalling at least £25.00 for that period.

Hope the above helps and stops those emails being received etc.
Last edited by BetScalper on Fri May 24, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

Unfortunately nobody knows exactly what their criteria is but I would guess generating some commission would help. If you go through the links Dallas posted you should find advice on contacting Betfair to get your account reopened. Good luck.
BetScalper

My guess would be that if you betting less than £299 / 12 per month and logged on / retrieving data every day then sooner or later you going to get an email.
Phoenix

Thanks BetScalper

Yes I'm a UK account holder.

Point C seems fair. Whether that would suffice we can't be sure like you say. At least you've given me something to work from so I appreciate that.

Do you think the reason why they are so vague is that they don't want to be seen as encouraging gambling (I might have set myself up for some wry comments there!)I'm sure this is or has been a concern for a lot of others. Has any attempt been made to get a definitive answer?
Phoenix

No I've had my account re-instated. I just don't want to fall foul again.
BetScalper

Phoenix wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:25 pm
Thanks BetScalper

Yes I'm a UK account holder.

Point C seems fair. Whether that would suffice we can't be sure like you say. At least you've given me something to work from so I appreciate that.

Do you think the reason why they are so vague is that they don't want to be seen as encouraging gambling (I might have set myself up for some wry comments there!)I'm sure this is or has been a concern for a lot of others. Has any attempt been made to get a definitive answer?
For obvious reasons they are not going to give you a definitive answer otherwise people would abuse it one way or the other.

I think it comes down to common sense. If you think your taking the piss, then you probably are. :lol:

Return to “General discussion”