Book percentages

Help improve Bet Angel.
Iron

It might be a good idea to have the book percentages displayed in the 'Ladder' screen, for ease of reference.

Jeff
sportinwest

Yes I think so too
rubysglory

My vote here as well.

rg
marqasa

Yep, this would be a useful addition!
Iron

Does a tightening over-round normally indicate a trend reversal? Or can it just as easily signify a continuation?

Jeff
Quinny

If it’s sunny, does this make it a good day?

Jeff, I see your questions on many message boards over several years. You have intrigued me and irritated me. Message boards need people like you.

Your question received no replies, I hope it provoked a lot of thought. I have always put a lot of emphasis on understanding the book %. I can still make a decent daily profit on the basic Betfair interface using only the overround.

I have data on overround that would make your eyes glaze over and I still cannot answer your question because it is not well enough defined.
Learn which factors affect the %.
Most won’t bother to do this. Thankfully.
Iron

Quinny wrote:If it’s sunny, does this make it a good day?
Depends on your perspective and what other weather conditions there are... :)
Quinny wrote:Jeff, I see your questions on many message boards over several years. You have intrigued me and irritated me. Message boards need people like you.
Er, thanks, I think... :)

Out of interest, how have I irritated you?
Quinny wrote: I have data on overround that would make your eyes glaze over and I still cannot answer your question because it is not well enough defined.
Learn which factors affect the %.
Most won’t bother to do this. Thankfully.
So is the answer to my question: 'It depends on what else is happening in the market'? :)

Jeff
Quinny

Start by framing the market you are interested in.

as far as I see it... there isn't a 'The Market'

Are we talking about Aintree Grand National. Very specific market imo. Or, a Barney Curley last leg accumulator market at Kelso on Tues. evening.

Now the book % at SP may be exactly the same, but... during last 3 minutes for example, what were the volumes traded and what was the book make up across the first three in the betting.

Trying to make high probability trades without knowing some basic strategic info (doesn't have to be book % based) is a sure fire route to ruination.

Select a market type and understand it to the point where you could give a five minute seminar about it. Answering open questions from new traders.
Quinny

Did I ever mention...
I love lazy people. The exchanges are full of them.
This forum is full of them too. Use these people.
I do.
Iron

Perhaps, but trying too hard can be equally costly...

Jeff
Quinny wrote:Did I ever mention...
I love lazy people. The exchanges are full of them.
This forum is full of them too. Use these people.
I do.
Euler

Not sure where this emphasis on book percentages comes from? Book percentages are the manifestation of the undering odds movements, not the other way around. Since cross matching has come in that's muddied the water significantly.
Iron

Hi Peter

It may result partly from Adam Heathcote's blog post on exit points, in which he wrote that a narrowing book percentage means that the trend you're riding may be about to reverse.

Jeff
Euler wrote:Not sure where this emphasis on book percentages comes from?
JollyGreen

Cross matching has definitely changed the way book overrounds behave. I do look at the book percentage but I no longer see it as a trend reversal because other factors must be accounted for.

Just one example. A drifting favourite could see the book close in on 100% and further drifting could potentially mean the book dips below 100%. That could signal the end of of the drift but what if the 2nd favourite or any other runner is being backed off the boards? That would mean the drifting favourite could continue the Kon Tiki impression!!
rubysglory

I don't begin a trade until the book is 99%+. For me it marks a new beginning, a new dawn if you like. Irrespective of what has or is happening in the market, equilibrium has been returned and another round of see-sawing begins. If one runner drifts another will shorten.

rg
Emmson

JollyGreen wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 pm
Cross matching has definitely changed the way book overrounds behave. I do look at the book percentage but I no longer see it as a trend reversal because other factors must be accounted for.

Just one example. A drifting favourite could see the book close in on 100% and further drifting could potentially mean the book dips below 100%. That could signal the end of of the drift but what if the 2nd favourite or any other runner is being backed off the boards? That would mean the drifting favourite could continue the Kon Tiki impression!!
So if the cross matching is turned off :geek:

Return to “Suggestions”