best piece of advice you have been given

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
Kai

I see I posted this link back in 2015 but it's probably worth re-posting : https://twitter.com/tradingproverbs

Easily contains some of the best pieces of advice overall, since it's basically a compilation of the best ideas and quotes from the world's greatest traders and investors, doesn't hurt to get bombarded by their pearls of wisdom, there's a decent chance that something may actually stick! :) Not everything applies to the sports exchange but a good chunk of it does. If you don't have time to read any books or aren't a big reader this may be the next best thing to get a bit of insight into how successful traders think. I'm not a book person either and haven't gotten around to reading any trading books yet, but if I see a quote I like I'll do a bit of research on the author to see who they are/were and to see what else they have to say, people will extract the best bits anyway and summarize them for you which makes it easier and faster to consume.
nivi7

Kai wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:01 pm
. I'm not a book person either and haven't gotten around to reading any trading books yet,
try youtube videos
then audio books
then reading books
no need to stay on the surface of quotes
ShaunWhite

I like audio books but they always send me to sleep and I don't know how far I've got. Nice on a long drive but I don't have many of those. You can't beat good old paper for flicking back and forward and covering in highlighter pen.

The BIG issue with services like Audible is losing your books when you end your subscription. I've paid 6.95 a month for about 6 months just because I can't get round to finishing the ones I've started. Almost 50quid for about 20 pounds worth of books I wasn't especially enamoured with anyway!
Emmson

Animated Summaries of books on YouTube are the best way for me to digest material. That is how I absorbed Thinking Fast & Slow. Trading In The Zone what a bore of a read that was, once i put it down I couldn't pick it back up.
eightbo

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:32 pm
I like audio books but they always send me to sleep and I don't know how far I've got.
lol I can relate to the struggle man

Good quote for the aggressive types out there:
"It's not about what you can make, it's about what you can keep."

stueytrader

ShaunWhite wrote:
I like audio books but they always send me to sleep and I don't know how far I've got. Nice on a long drive but I don't have many of those. You can't beat good old paper for flicking back and forward and covering in highlighter pen.
Not sure sleeping and driving is recommended Shaun! :lol:

I'm with you on the paper issue though - I love an actual book to hold and see the pages (but I'm old school like that).
nivi7

you need a reason to get in a trade
you need a reason to get out of the same trade
stueytrader

eightbo wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
I like audio books but they always send me to sleep and I don't know how far I've got.
lol I can relate to the struggle man

Good quote for the aggressive types out there:
"It's not about what you can make, it's about what you can keep."

Reminds me of a Poker concept - stack protection. It often seems harder to hold on to winnings (in many forms of trading or gambling) than to make winnings. The latter is relatively easy to do, the former much less easy if you trade/bet regularly. In Poker it's like winning a massive hand early in a tournament, then trying not to blow it.
stueytrader

What you cannot do is simply sit on your hands indefinately - something true in trading seriously. You must still move forward and risk. A difficult balance with 'stack protection'.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”