Using 2 monitors

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
MikeKnopfler

Can you have Bet Angel open on two monitors or would the usage of information be too high?
ShaunWhite

You can have multiple instances of BA running as it doesn't uses much system resources. If in doubt also have windows TaskManger loaded so you can keep an eye on your processor and memory usage. Wrt the quantity of information, the api data stream is no more demanding than an audio stream or low quality video stream.
johnsheppard

Two instances of BA is going to be having two connections to the Betfair API tho right? Presumably doing twice the DL's?

...or they've built inter process comms into it?
ShaunWhite

johnsheppard wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:31 pm
Two instances of BA is going to be having two connections to the Betfair API tho right? Presumably doing twice the DL's?

...or they've built inter process comms into it?
Yes it'll be 2 connections but the amount of data is trivial compared to something like an HD video stream. I think 1hr of HD video is approx 3gb of data and even on a busy Saturday with >100 races, 12hrs of aus horse data is just over 1gb. That's about 3% of the load ?

If in doubt just run TaskManger to keep an eye on your processor, mem and network utilisation and keep loading up BA instances.
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:51 pm
You can have multiple instances of BA running as it doesn't uses much system resources
Shaun but I have my doubts from my experience … I have a pretty good spec computer (i7 CPU and 16Gb RAM) but I have had times where BA instances have been using 50%+ of my CPU and Memory. I can't replicate it now because of the reduced number of events but if I get it again (and remember!) I will post a screen grab. I never expected it to be so so it took me by surprise when it happened and maybe it's something to do with a setting in or other than BA. I have tried with multiple instances of the same install and multi installations with little difference.
jimibt

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:15 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
You can have multiple instances of BA running as it doesn't uses much system resources
Shaun but I have my doubts from my experience … I have a pretty good spec computer (i7 CPU and 16Gb RAM) but I have had times where BA instances have been using 50%+ of my CPU and Memory. I can't replicate it now because of the reduced number of events but if I get it again (and remember!) I will post a screen grab. I never expected it to be so so it took me by surprise when it happened and maybe it's something to do with a setting in or other than BA. I have tried with multiple instances of the same install and multi installations with little difference.
this definitely can happen if you have a lot of logging going on, plus a lot of events as it appends the log items and outputs the new string, rather than adding a new line to the existing log. i've had times where it appears to have frozen. On deleting the log contents, bingo, it's all back to normal.
mcgoo

Definitely had performance issues with automation.. reduced logging helps but I've given up automating tbh
johnsheppard

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 pm
Yes it'll be 2 connections but the amount of data is trivial compared to something like an HD video stream. I think 1hr of HD video is approx 3gb of data and even on a busy Saturday with >100 races, 12hrs of aus horse data is just over 1gb. That's about 3% of the load ?

If in doubt just run TaskManger to keep an eye on your processor, mem and network utilisation and keep loading up BA instances.
My main concern would be with what Betfair think about it. Or is it excess orders/transactions that they'd be more upset about?

IMO, Home computing power is cheap enough if anyone's really being serious.
firlandsfarm

johnsheppard wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 pm
It may not be computing power John, I think my spec is reasonable (([email protected] CPU with 16Gb RAM) but I have nothing to compare it with, I don't know what others use. My concern is the connection to the Internet. I don't live on a 'super megabit highway', I live over a mile down a copper wire! I don't know what the traffic requirements are for multiple BA instances but I wonder if the connection can have something to do with it. Clearly a VPS would help for automatic systems.
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:15 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
50% cpu and mem seems a lot for that spec of machine. When I used to run mutilple BAs it was several versions ago so I was judging it by that. If the newer version is more hungry then I guess it's not a straightforward as I might have thought.
ShaunWhite

johnsheppard wrote:
My main concern would be with what Betfair think about it. Or is it excess orders/transactions that they'd be more upset about?.
They're mainly concerned with the transactions per hour. When you buy a personal use api key the default is to allow up to 10 connections but they'll happily extend that to be unlimited. I guess the push stream isn't as demanding for them as the older request based api.

I've no idea what the limit is when you're using the commercial key (the one embedded in BA)
johnsheppard

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 pm
johnsheppard wrote:
It may not be computing power John, I think my spec is reasonable (([email protected] CPU with 16Gb RAM) but I have nothing to compare it with, I don't know what others use. My concern is the connection to the Internet. I don't live on a 'super megabit highway', I live over a mile down a copper wire! I don't know what the traffic requirements are for multiple BA instances but I wonder if the connection can have something to do with it. Clearly a VPS would help for automatic systems.
Sorry yes, narcissistic of me to think a big computer will fix everything :) I'm in Aus, internet is a bit crap here (although probably much better than Africa or India). I got real tired of my copper wire crapping out whenever it rained (battled with it for years even after the gov spent billions playing politics with it). Now I get internet through mobile phone towers and I am quite happy with that.
johnsheppard

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:56 pm
johnsheppard wrote:
My main concern would be with what Betfair think about it. Or is it excess orders/transactions that they'd be more upset about?.
They're mainly concerned with the transactions per hour. When you buy a personal use api key the default is to allow up to 10 connections but they'll happily extend that to be unlimited. I guess the push stream isn't as demanding for them as the older request based api.

I've no idea what the limit is when you're using the commercial key (the one embedded in BA)
I see, makes sense. Need to store that info in my ailing memory bank. Thank you.

I use a personal use api key, managing connection proliferation without sinking years into development is a difficult problem. I can understand why BetAngel doesn't attempt to do deal with that.... But that's way off topic...
firlandsfarm

johnsheppard wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:22 pm
Now I get internet through mobile phone towers and I am quite happy with that.
My mobile signal is poor :evil: I mostly only get 1 bar, sometimes 2 on a good day but sometime none! I can't always rely on signal remaining through a whole conversation so always tell people to call on landline or SMS on mobile so copper wire is best option.
johnsheppard

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:26 am
johnsheppard wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:22 pm
Now I get internet through mobile phone towers and I am quite happy with that.
My mobile signal is poor :evil: I mostly only get 1 bar, sometimes 2 on a good day but sometime none! I can't always rely on signal remaining through a whole conversation so always tell people to call on landline or SMS on mobile so copper wire is best option.
Well that sucks, I guess you'll have to move house :) Internet quality valuation is probably something they add onto house prices these days...well probably orta be...

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”