Sceptical

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
malgilb

I'm afraid i am starting to get Sceptical about sports trading and what is being claimed by those that apparently make a success of it. I am not the cleverest person in the world but am far from the dumbest. I have viewed all the trading videos once , twice and sometimes many more. I have read the user guide until my eyes hurt and have purchased and downloaded "An Expert Guide". I have tried everything out many, many times. I'm not claiming that there is any dishonesty going on but i cannot see how anybody can predict or work out where the price is going with the way it jumps about so badly. I am not normally a sceptic and would like someone to prove without a doubt that trading on sports can be a way of making money.
MemphisFlash

here's my day's total so far . i think its safe to say the answer to your question is yes, you can make money at it.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Coming on the anniversary of 20 years of doing this, I feel a sense of irony here.

Trading is deeply counterintuitive and realising that is the first step to succeeding in it. Most never get past this stage.
malgilb

Mate, I have rarely given anything up throughout my 60 years and do not intend to do so now. It's just that anyone can say "i make money". Ask someone to give you the indisputable proof is something else. All I would like is some indisputable proof. It might be that I will never get it. I can live with that. Do you have indisputable proof for me?
jamesg46

malgilb wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:38 pm
I'm afraid i am starting to get Sceptical about sports trading and what is being claimed by those that apparently make a success of it. I am not the cleverest person in the world but am far from the dumbest. I have viewed all the trading videos once , twice and sometimes many more. I have read the user guide until my eyes hurt and have purchased and downloaded "An Expert Guide". I have tried everything out many, many times. I'm not claiming that there is any dishonesty going on but i cannot see how anybody can predict or work out where the price is going with the way it jumps about so badly. I am not normally a sceptic and would like someone to prove without a doubt that trading on sports can be a way of making money.
I'm not sure why you think predicting where the price will go is necessary, that suggests that maybe you're entering the market when liquidity is low & possibly be mistaking unmatched volume as liquidity. For example, if a market has a steamer then liquidity will already be pushing the price in one direction & your job is to find a suitable entry based on your strategy.

I suppose traders all have an idea of where they think the price will go, but a professional will want to see evidence of that happening rather than entering and hoping it does happen (I fell victim to this for years.) Trade what you see, not what you want to see.
malgilb

With all due respect, I know the difference between unmatched volume and liquidity.
jamesg46

malgilb wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:11 pm
With all due respect, I know the difference between unmatched volume and liquidity.
Thats why I used words like maybe. With that being cleared up, then why do you feel the need to predict where a price will go?
Euler

malgilb wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Mate, I have rarely given anything up throughout my 60 years and do not intend to do so now. It's just that anyone can say "i make money". Ask someone to give you the indisputable proof is something else. All I would like is some indisputable proof. It might be that I will never get it. I can live with that. Do you have indisputable proof for me?
Ask James, he has met me personally in my trading room.
jamesg46

I can confirm, as I'm sure many others can that Peter has made a very, very good life for him & his family from trading.

I did indeed meet Peter personally and I think if I remember correctly I was absaloutly amazed (I actually went there because I wanted to the see the reality for myself) I messaged Peter directly explaining myself and why before hand... I also messaged him afterwards to thank him for showing me and told him I'd be happy with a minor % of what hes achieved... I still have the messages but I dont think I need to prove my words.
malgilb

Maybe I should have said, "believe in what direction the price is heading".
Jim Royle

some people will make any excuse to try and get a free 1 2 1 with the master
jamesg46

malgilb wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:24 pm
Maybe I should have said, "believe in what direction the price is heading".
I dont predict or believe. Its simply a probability, it either will or it wont, you have to recognise a pattern of behaviour in a certain structure of markets and build a strategy around that, that gives you the possibility to win more than you lose... over time if its occurs regularly and you exploit it correctly then it's a positive strategy... that's all imo you need to be an average to good order flow trader.
malgilb

Unlike me, you have seen the proof. I'm still waiting. I will keep trying though.
malgilb

Are you sure Jim?
malgilb

Let us leave it there shall we? You all keep making money and I will keep trying. Don't want to fall out with anyone just want indisputable proof. If it does not come so be it.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”