Difference between Stored Values & Signals

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
Leeds1919

Hi Guys,

This might seem like a silly question but I thought I'd ask it anyway!

I've noticed people ask a question on the forum and sometimes the answer will be along the longs of 'Yes this is possible to do with either stored values or signals' so I'm just wondering if somebody can tell me the fundamental difference between the two. What can you do with one that you cant do with the other?

My understanding of both is very basic and as such I'd love to see more videos on the how to use them.
Dallas

This might answer your question - or some of it
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16228
Euler

Stored values are variables, whereas signals are flags. Don't know if that really helps, but may do if you have ever done any coding or similar work.
jimibt

Leeds1919 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:49 pm
Hi Guys,

I've noticed people ask a question on the forum and sometimes the answer will be along the longs of 'Yes this is possible to do with either stored values or signals' so I'm just wondering if somebody can tell me the fundamental difference between the two. What can you do with one that you cant do with the other?

My understanding of both is very basic and as such I'd love to see more videos on the how to use them.
Stored Values
Use these to obtain values such as Book%, Lay Price, Volume on Selection etc..
Once you have stored the value, you can compare them with the current values to decide how to proceed

Think of them as variables.

Signals
These are more like Flags or counters and can be applied to a rule when a number of conditions are met. For example, we may want to Flag a runner as being a viable back bet once it has met a number of standard conditions. We would then add a signal with a numerical value to indicate that it had matched these conditions. Expanding on this, we may wish to increment (or decrement) that value such that the conditions have to have been met n times before it should fire in a bet etc...

I'm sure @Dallas will pop in an explain it far more eloquently :D
Leeds1919

Thanks Guys,

Your comments have been helpful, have to admit though the grey matter is getting a strong workout :)

I found this paragraph in the link that Dallas posted:

"Set / Modify a Stored Value Only"
The same as the existing ‘Set/Modify signal’ rule this will allow you to set/modify/clear a ‘Stored Value’ when your chosen conditions have been met and without any other action being performed, ie, if you just want to store the volume of a selection but without triggering any bets at that moment.

In the sentence I highlighted could this be tweaked to track the price of the favourite in a football match at different times during the day (my understanding is these would be saved as stored values) and then fire a bet in if they met a certain set of criteria?
Dallas

Leeds1919 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 pm
Thanks Guys,

Your comments have been helpful, have to admit though the grey matter is getting a strong workout :)

The same as the existing ‘Set/Modify signal’ rule this will allow you to set/modify/clear a ‘Stored Value’ when your chosen conditions have been met and without any other action being performed, ie, if you just want to store the volume of a selection but without triggering any bets at that moment.

In the sentence I highlighted could this be tweaked to track the price of the favourite in a football match at different times during the day (my understanding is these would be saved as stored values) and then fire a bet in if they met a certain set of criteria?
Yes, you could trigger a 'Set/Modify Stored Value' rule at intervals through out the day so you can check back at a later time to see how its moved through out the day

What would your certain criteria be - broadly?
If its just a price has been reached you can use a fixed odds condition for that

But if its to test the price has moved 'X' ticks from or during an interval then you can use a Stored Value condition to reference that
Leeds1919

Dallas wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:13 pm
Leeds1919 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 pm
Thanks Guys,

Yes, you could trigger a 'Set/Modify Stored Value' rule at intervals through out the day so you can check back at a later time to see how its moved through out the day

What would your certain criteria be - broadly?
If its just a price has been reached you can use a fixed odds condition for that

But if its to test the price has moved 'X' ticks from or during an interval then you can use a Stored Value condition to reference that
Test is the right word. It would be to test the price every hour say and if the price has increased each hour for a number of hours then to act on it.

I notice in the conditions tab you can compare Value A to Value B, is there a way to have Values C, D & E for example? So C would only come into the equation if B was bigger than A, then bringing in the possibility of D if it's bigger than C and so on ... I'm probably not making any sense now! :)
Leeds1919

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd revisit this with a different way of thinking! I've been playing around with the different types of automation within Guardian for a few days now and I think I'm beginning to get a basic understanding. I've given up on what I asked about earlier in the thread as I don't think its possible to do (at least not for me) so I'm trying to approach it in a different way.

I know its possible to compare a second stored value against the first at a predetermined time after the first value was stored but is it possible to monitor a characteristic of the market for a period of time (say 1 hour) and if it falls below the stored value and stays below for a set time (say 2 minutes) to then trigger another action?
jimibt

Leeds1919 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:09 pm
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd revisit this with a different way of thinking! I've been playing around with the different types of automation within Guardian for a few days now and I think I'm beginning to get a basic understanding. I've given up on what I asked about earlier in the thread as I don't think its possible to do (at least not for me) so I'm trying to approach it in a different way.

I know its possible to compare a second stored value against the first at a predetermined time after the first value was stored but is it possible to monitor a characteristic of the market for a period of time (say 1 hour) and if it falls below the stored value and stays below for a set time (say 2 minutes) to then trigger another action?
sounds trite i know, but yes.. you need to setup your SV's to trigger every (say 30 secs) and only change the value if it's gone up or down. you can record this type of fluctuation using SV's alone, so in effect you monitor the market. short post i know, but i think you'll be able to think around it...
Leeds1919

jimibt wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:35 pm
Leeds1919 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:09 pm
Hi Guys,

........ and only change the value if it's gone up or down. you can record this type of fluctuation using SV's alone, so in effect you monitor the market............
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your advice when I saw your message last night it really got me thinking. Unfortunately I've been playing with the automation most of today and still can't get it to do what I described above. I can store the values no problem and compare one against another but when I try do anything more I fall down! I've had a couple of false dawns already today.

I'm intrigued by what you said " only change the value if its gone up or down". Does this mean you can change the value of an SV automatically if it meets certain criteria... for instance can you assign a value like in excel where if cell A2 has a value less than cell A1 you can call it TRUE then test cell A3 against A2 only if it is TRUE (I think thats how excel works)!
firlandsfarm

Leeds1919 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:05 pm
I'm intrigued by what you said " only change the value if its gone up or down". Does this mean you can change the value of an SV automatically if it meets certain criteria...
Yes … apply the initial Stored Value to two Stored Values say, TempSV and MaxSV. Then keep running your criteria to keep rechecking TempSV and if the value of TempSV is more than MaxSV then set the value of MaxSV=TempSV.
decomez6

Leeds1919 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:49 pm
Hi Guys,

there are no silly questions , i struggled with a similar train of thought .Signals and SV seemed like a duplication , i asked, isnt everything stored and marked with a signal, like a price tag in a store? it then downed on me , its a storage facility where the items must communicate with each other and they do so with signals.

another way to look at it:
the rule files are like a fully automatic gun which is always ready to fire, you only need to give it a reason (TRIGGERS) and it will engage.
CONDITIONS are the reasons to engage.
SIGNALS are a traffic control system with a command centre that records when any engagement takes place. signals come in two forms:
1. for the current selection, meaning where you are ,right now
2. for the market ,meaning for all seletions .
both of this forms perform thier duties in same ways either
A. ON/OFF (set /clear) ,or
B. COUNTER ,counting UP(increament) and down (decrement)

the amazing part, is the ability of one signal to communicate with each other , and once the communication is done the affected signal will keep a record by counting up or down OR by going ON or OFF.
one signal can cause another signal to go on (SET) , depending on how its conditioned. You can also set a signal every time a rule is fired.,and then use this as a refrence point and a reason to allow another rule to fire.

STORED VALUES;
imagine a FILM , its made of moving pictures(motion).
each picture is a frame and can be frozen using the# pause #button. thats the stored value.
i can come back to it whenever i want . and i can erase (CLEAR )it whenever it suits me and put another picture of my liking or even polish it with some filters.

hope that helps.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”