Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
superfrank

Keir Starmer is now wriggling out of his show of support for BLM after being photographed kneeling in his office - claiming he supported "the moment" and not "the organisation".

This brave girl has got her head screwed on more firmly. It's a shame a few of our brainless footballers couldn't think for themselves.
Nero Tulip

BLM the organisation has far too much politics about it, 'blm' on the other hand - the movement, has very little to question about it and is I think what most people support. It's a real problem for the 'supporters of lives', in that to discern what type of supporter or non supporter of blm/BLM you are, there needs to be a full 15 page questionnaire to undertake. :roll: That's frustrating, but I think it is safe to assume that people taking a knee in solidarity are doing so to support black lives mattering (under the assumption that all lives matter), rather than the very left wing political campaigning/huge donations, which is not made (purposefully?) particularly obvious.
Crazyskier

superfrank wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Keir Starmer is now wriggling out of his show of support for BLM after being photographed kneeling in his office - claiming he supported "the moment" and not "the organisation".

This brave girl has got her head screwed on more firmly. It's a shame a few of our brainless footballers couldn't think for themselves.
I'm so glad Matt Le Tissier won't cave in and wear the Black Power (sorry, BLM) badge on Sky Sports. We need more people to stand up for what they believe in not allow sport to be politicised in ANY way.

CS
Kafkaesque

Yeah, I know. The outrage at standing in salute to national anthems and wearing poppies was equally huge from the same people now crying foul at politics in sports.
Nero Tulip

This is where presumptions need making regarding black power comments and BLM, there's like probably at least 5-10 different ways BLM is viewed... presumably Le Tiss has issues with their political donations and reasonably hard left leaning political activism, rather than black lives mattering. Am happy to find that he is sufficiently clued up on it, because it does take a fair bit of digging.

I do however seriously doubt that these girls here have taken a knee under anything other than their own choice out of wanting all lives to matter the same amount. And this is the problem - those that know BLM as a political party think they are coerced into doing it and/or they are supporting a hard left political party first and black lives mattering a distant second, when that is actually, pretty unlikely imo. It's a shame both are so frustratingly mixed, and that a genuine opportunity to work towards better equality is being used in such a way.

With that in mind, it might be useful to stop taking the knee soon and get back to using words and day to day actions, rather than giving those who seek to politicise both those still standing and those kneeling an excuse. Like I say, without a long winded explainer, no one can know why or what those standing or kneeling are thinking or supporting anymore... and that just enables any narrative anyone wants to be applied to anything.... a very modern problem.
Kafkaesque

Nero Tulip wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:20 pm
This is where presumptions need making regarding black power comments and BLM, there's like probably at least 5-10 different ways BLM is viewed... presumably Le Tiss has issues with their political donations and reasonably hard left leaning political activism, rather than black lives mattering. Am happy to find that he is sufficiently clued up on it, because it does take a fair bit of digging.

I do however seriously doubt that these girls here have taken a knee under anything other than their own choice out of wanting all lives to matter the same amount. And this is the problem - those that know BLM as a political party think they are coerced into doing it and/or they are supporting a hard left political party first and black lives mattering a distant second, when that is actually, pretty unlikely imo. It's a shame both are so frustratingly mixed, and that a genuine opportunity to work towards better equality is being used in such a way.

With that in mind, it might be useful to stop taking the knee soon and get back to using words and day to day actions, rather than giving those who seek to politicise both those still standing and those kneeling an excuse. Like I say, without a long winded explainer, no one can know why or what those standing or kneeling are thinking or supporting anymore... and that just enables any narrative anyone wants to be applied to anything.... a very modern problem.
Well put sir! It truly is muddied waters, and the media (on both sides) aren't helping. For my part I feel, it's perfectly possible to kneel or in the case of Le Tissier to wear a badge, to show support for the back story of why the movement is a thing in the first place; without agreeing with their ultimate goal/solution. Much like it's entirely possible to wear a puppy to show support for the troops, past and present; without agreeing with modern political decisions impacting the armed forces, ie. say Blair with Iraq.
Derek27

Hundreds, if not thousands of benefit claimants (sick and disabled as well as job seekers) have died as a result of Iain Duncan Smith's policies, either by getting driven to suicide by the pressure placed upon them or being sanctioned and allowed to starve to death for being 10 minutes late for an interview. Most people are either unaware or don't give a fuck.

Yet one man gets murdered by a police force that's not even under UK control and there's a national outcry!!!

I've always believed that black lives, claimants lives and all other lives matter and don't see the point in supporting a slogan that's flipping obvious. People who go on protests and through the slogan about should really question why they didn't do this before the tragic murder of George Floyd, because nothing has really changed from that point.
superfrank

I don't get the kneeling thing. Dominic Raab commented that it's a symbol of 'subjugation and subordination'. It's still not enough for some though who throw in a Black Power salute on top!!
greenmark

superfrank wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm
I don't get the kneeling thing. Dominic Raab commented that it's a symbol of 'subjugation and subordination'. It's still not enough for some though who throw in a Black Power salute on top!!
The clenched fist salute has been widely used for yonks by both left and right, terrorists and peaceful protesters.
Perhaps a wiki-fest to explore slavery, the history of the US, the origins and spread of humanity might be informative.
From what I've seen we're all african. But I have a reputation for being wrong. :-)
But , if I'm right, someone from anywhere is likely to be more genetically similar to me than someone in my locality.
Derek27

According to the Daily Star the bog roll bandits are coming back, in view of a second wave.
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:41 am
According to the Daily Star the bog roll bandits are coming back, in view of a second wave.
The media have shown they cannot be trusted, their role is to cause panic and nothing else
firlandsfarm

Naffman wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:42 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:41 am
The media have shown they cannot be trusted, their role is to cause panic and nothing else
If they can't find a sensational story then why not start one but remembering to make sure there is heavy use of "could", "up to" etc.
Derek27

I'm gonna buy a six-pack just in case. ;)
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:02 pm
Do you have shares in Andrex? :-)
jimibt

greenmark wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:49 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:02 pm
Do you have shares in Andrex? :-)
are you saying he's a .... no, surely not :D (derek just pulling your leg -i said LEG!!)

Return to “General discussion”